The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 1, 2012, 04:50 PM   #1
browninghunter86

Remington 770

Anyone know where and if I can find a factory replacement bolt for a Rem 770 bolt action in a 270 win caliber? I am wanting to see if I can get one other than having to go directly through Remington.

The bolt handle on mine broke off today at range trying to clear a stuck case and this appears to be the cheapest bolt handle and bolt there is. The handle appears to have just been soldered or glued to the actual bolt. Will post pics if anyone wants to see this crazyness
Old November 2, 2012, 02:42 AM   #2
Scorch

Remington does not sell bolts, you must send the rifle to an approved service center to have a bolt repaired or replaced by Remington. No one I know of sells Rem 770 bolts other than Remington. And the bolt handle breaking off is a relatively common problem with just about any Remington bolt action centerfire rifle.
Old November 2, 2012, 10:10 AM   #3
jmr40

Either have it brazed back on, or just replace the rifle with something better. A common problem, even with their higher end guns as Scorch noted. Rather than throw more good money after bad I'd just buy a quality rifle this time. By the time you figure the cost to repair, you are a good ways toward a much better rifle.