The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 20, 2009, 02:25 PM   #1
TimM

Epoxy Solvent?

I recently purchased a used shotgun in which the previous owner glued a Williams rifle sight to the barrel. I removed the sight but there is still glue/epoxy left on the barrel, the barrel is parkerized I believe. What can I use to remove the remaining dried epoxy from the gun?
Old December 20, 2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Evan Thomas

This... unfortunately, you can't buy less than a quart, and it's expensive, but it does work. (As long as you're sure the adhesive you want to remove is an epoxy or polyester resin.)

http://www.museumservicescorporation.com/scat/ch8.html
Epoxy Resin Dissolver
This compound has been formulated to remove thermoset resin compounds (including epoxies and polyesters) AFTER CURING! Simply immerse the resin to be removed until it softens and falls away. If you cannot soak the object, try putting the object in a closed metal can (not plastic!) with a few ounces of Epoxy Resin Dissolver. Usually the vapors will crumble the cured epoxy resin in a few days. On larger objects, try soaking a cloth in Epoxy Resin Dissolver and holding it against the joint to be separated by a few wraps of aluminum foil. Epoxy Resin Dissolver will not react with most metals, linen, Teflon, nylon, ceramics or molded phenolics. Also, it's reusable.
E1532-032 quart $25.00
You can also try heating the barrel and removing the epoxy mechanically -- heat will usually soften epoxy and make it relatively easy to scrape or pick off... Not too much heat: if the metal is too hot to touch, it's hotter than it needs to be.
Old December 20, 2009, 03:06 PM   #3
TxGun

From the http://www.loctiteproducts.com/ website:

How can I remove epoxy?

Epoxy is considered a permanent adhesive. However, if you need to remove it, apply acetone or Easy-Off Oven Cleaner to the epoxy and let it sit for awhile. Eventually, the epoxy will soften and can be pried from the surface with a putty knife. Remember to test the oven cleaner on an inconspicuous area before applying over a large area.
Old December 20, 2009, 03:25 PM   #4
TimM

Thanks guys. Gonna try the heat first and see if I have any success.
Old December 20, 2009, 09:10 PM   #5
RoscoeC

Avoid the oven cleaner. I don't doubt that it will remove the epoxy, I'm pretty sure it will be unkind to the blueing or whatever finish the metal may have.
NRA Life Member