The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 4, 2010, 10:37 PM   #1
whitefish

Marlin 336 Front Sight

I put a Williams FP aperture rear sight on my Marlin 336 and I now want to add either a blade or fiber optic front sight. Anyone out there running the same setup? What height of front sight are you using?
Old March 5, 2010, 02:50 PM   #2
PetahW

I no longer have my peeped Marlin with a FO front, and can't remember the height

- BUT -

The Williams Gun Sight Co sells FireSight (FO) peep sight sets - so a call to their customer service line should result in the correct height sight, even if you decide to buy a Tru-Glo or HiViz front blade instead.

Old March 5, 2010, 06:12 PM   #3
ronto

I have the Williams FP on my 336W with a Williams FireSight optic front (0.343") that I purchased as a set.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old March 6, 2010, 02:31 PM   #4
ronto

BTW, you may want to join www.marlinowners.com there are very knowledgeable and helpful members there.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old March 7, 2010, 09:52 PM   #5
whitefish

Quote:
The Williams Gun Sight Co sells FireSight (FO) peep sight sets - so a call to their customer service line should result in the correct height sight, even if you decide to buy a Tru-Glo or HiViz front blade instead.
I thought of that - a few people have had problems with the front sight provided with various sets. Hi Vis (and I think Tru glo too) have a plastic test post you install in place of the factory sight to determine the proper front sight height. I read a trick using layers of duct tape on the factory front sight to build it up to a desired zero at, say, 100 yards. You then measure the top of the modified post to the bottom of the dovetail, and thats the necessary sight height.

Might have to check out the Marlin site ronto mentioned.