The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2013, 09:36 PM   #1
gunsmith001

.45acp case weight

I'm new to loading 45 ACP. Does case weight in reused brass make a difference?

I reloaded 21 rounds. OAL 1.2 4.5 gn of hi skor 700x 230 gn powerbond plated winchester/remington large primers. There is a .472 od at the case mouth so I suspect my crimp is wrong but that's another problem for a another day.

The federal cases fully loaded came out at 323 gn +- .9 gn

I had a wcc case same load come out 329.2 gn and Speer 325.8

Is this something I should worry about?
Old December 27, 2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

I wouldn't.

I'm a pretty persnickity loader, but I don't weigh my cases.
Old December 27, 2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Wreck-n-Crew

Brass from different manufacturers use different metal mixtures too, so even if the dimensions were identical the weights may not be. 45 ACP is a low pressure round anyway, so nothing to worry about unless you get them loaded too hot and shoot them in a barrel without full chamber support.
Old December 27, 2013, 11:12 PM   #4
serf 'rett

No problem.

I do sort my brass by headstamp and only work with one headstamp when I'm developing a new load.
Old December 28, 2013, 05:39 PM   #5
gunsmith001

Revolver vs auto re specs

Thanks. Would I be correct that, given the nature of a revolver, it might be slightly more forgiving in 45ACP than a 1911 in regards to OAL taper etc? It wouldn't seem like you would have issues with failing to feed etc as much. Not that you want to be careless in reloading for a revolver, but it would seem to less fussy.
Old December 30, 2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Not that you want to be careless in reloading for a revolver, but it would seem to less fussy.
Reloading for revolver is much less fussy. Most revolver bullets have a seat groove or cannelure to seat them to. No OAL measurements.

When I first started loading (1984), all I was loading for was revolvers. I didn't even know why they put a set of calipers in the reloading kit lol - seriously.

I'm glad I learned on revolver ammo. In these more modern times, people are learning with semi-auto cartridges. And often, it's 9mm Luger. 9mm's can be a little tricky. I would think it would be difficult to learn the "feel" of various loading steps with 9mm. Not to mention the small margins for error with the cartridge.