The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 28, 2013, 06:59 PM   #1
odugrad

Coloring in barrel

I have a question. What causes different colors in the inside of my SIG barrels? I have noticed that some are bright yellow, some are orange, some have a rust color, etc. Is this okay and normal?

I have a couple MK 25s and 226s. I clean after every trip to the range.
Old July 28, 2013, 07:19 PM   #2
rduckwor

Could be the reaction of whatever you used to clean with residual lead and/or copper.
Old July 28, 2013, 10:44 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Copper or brass wash from bullet jackets?

Jim
Old July 29, 2013, 02:11 AM   #4
AndyWest

Could you post some pictures? What are you shooting through them?
Old July 29, 2013, 07:32 AM   #5
odugrad

I can't get a good picture of it. I'm just shooting regular 9mm fmjs. I don't use any steel cased bullets. And it only seems to be on the MK25 models.

I look into the bore and everything seems fine other than the coloring. I went to the SIG website and a few other people mentioned it but no one had an answer. I thought there might be someone here who has experience with this.
Old July 29, 2013, 10:39 AM   #6
JD0x0

Sounds like copper fouling to me. but it'd be more useful if we had pictures.

"yellow, orange, rust color" pretty much describes the color of typical copper fouling. It is often mistaken for rust inside the barrel.
Old July 29, 2013, 11:50 AM   #7
iamdb

run some hoppes through it and see if the patch comes out purple.
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old July 29, 2013, 12:15 PM   #8
odugrad

Every time I run something through it (and I've tried most everything), the patch always comes out clean.

Is copper fouling extremely damaging?
Old July 29, 2013, 12:31 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

The amount of copper (actually gilding metal) fouling left by bullets is not enough to worry about. Ammonia will remove it, but may harm other parts of the gun (or you). A mild abrasive, like toothpaste, can also be used.

Myself? I don't worry about it.

Jim
Old July 29, 2013, 02:43 PM   #10
odugrad

Also, would copper fouling take a long time to occur. I've only had the gun about 3-4 months. Maybe 1000 rounds.
Old July 29, 2013, 03:38 PM   #11
JD0x0

Quote:
Also, would copper fouling take a long time to occur. I've only had the gun about 3-4 months. Maybe 1000 rounds.
Sounds like it's time for a cleaning. Copper fouling can build fairly quickly. It depends on the rifling, the bore and the bullet. Tiny imperfections in the bore will catch the jacket material and deposit it in the bore. I've had a clean bore show copper streaking after 1 shot, which is fairly normal, unless you have some sort of chrome lined or polished bore. Once this fouling is in the bore, it will continue to build on top of itself, with each bullet that goes down the barrel. Allow it to build long enough and you could have accuracy problems, or worse.

Use a copper solvent which chelates the deposits and breaks them down, to be removed by a patch. How frequently you do this, is up to the shooter. I would recommend that you do it more often than every 1000 rounds. I make a habit of doing a thorough copper cleaning after every box.