The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 15, 2011, 01:38 AM   #26
FreakGasolineFight

16 oz?? My CC weighs almost twice that unloaded, and it's considered a compact!

Um...16 ounces...one-stop shot...

Maybe a zip gun with a .50 AE round in it? Good lord, I don't know. I don't even understand how the question is relevant or even ultimate, since I can't think of any circumstances that would cause you to have to limit yourself to such an incredibly small weapon.

For crying out loud, even a Glock 26 weighs more than that unloaded!
Old February 15, 2011, 02:04 AM   #27
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
In a dark alley, a deadly assailant tries to do you in at close range!
Well, what the heck am I doing in a dark alley in the first place? Furthermore, how were my powers of observation so clouded that I let some hoodlum get close to me?

I suppose, failing at all of that, I could pull a gun. Of course, I don't know how much that'd help me, since I'd never carry a gun that weighs less than 16 ounces....
Old February 15, 2011, 02:16 AM   #28
Ben Towe

I don't think the OP thought about his weight limit when he stated it. He said it was to limit the 105mm howitzer responses. Regardless, it isn't the "ultimate" question since it is asked about once a week (at least) on this forum. My choice would probably be my XDm 9mm (no clue what it weighs, but not much compared to my SBH or Walker). I feel certain I could get off multiple shots with it in stated scenario. Maybe not all 20, but more than one.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:13 AM   #29
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
HINT: Do you go for penitration or expansion?!
There is a correct answer?

I might opt for painetration.

Given the weight constraint, how about a can of hair spray and a bic lighter? One push and one flick of my...

Short (and light) bang stick? (12 gauge?)

LCP makes it under your mark, along with a few others in this niche.

If you really only want the one shot, Bond Derringer can get to 19oz at the smallest; and you could only load one of the two barrels! Take off the grips and you might make your 16 oz cut.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:23 AM   #30
Daryl

My lightest carry gun, a J-framed "airweight" Smith & Wesson .38, weighs 15 ounces empty. My next lightest, a Glock 23, weighs in around 21 ounces empty IIRC. These are fairly light handguns, and either would suffice in my hands for the need described.

Sorry, I don't carry mouse guns lighter than the J-frame, and mostly only carry that as either a secondary gun, or when concealment is critical and the weather is hot.

Daryl
Old February 15, 2011, 07:04 AM   #31
pogo2

Airweight J frame

My only gun light enough to meet the 16 ounce requirement is a S&W 642. I use it for backup or deep concealment, loaded with Speer .38 +P Gold Dot ammo. It isn't fun to shoot, but is controllable and it works every time.

Old February 15, 2011, 08:24 AM   #32
sirsloop

About the .357mag hurting your hand comment.... if you were about to DIE, would you trade your hand hurting for 5 days for getting killed? ABSOLUTELY. That is not a "fun" gun to shoot, but it will keep you breathing if you happen to be in a dark alley with a maniac.
Old February 15, 2011, 12:26 PM   #33
ET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff Tannen:
the ULTIMATE self defence question, ever!!!
Me thinketh monsieur flatters himself a bit too extravagantly.
Old February 15, 2011, 12:32 PM   #34
beex215

pvc pipe with a 3in magnum slug that ill slam with my hands
Old February 15, 2011, 12:45 PM   #35
Wishoot

Smallest thing I would consider carrying is my LCR with Gold Dot 125gr. .38 +P HP
Old February 15, 2011, 01:41 PM   #36
BGutzman

I dont see any weapon I would trust my self defense to in the category stated. The way I see it if you figure your life is worth while you will hopefully carrys something capable of protecting it and to my way of thinking there are no handguns under 16oz that meet this requirement.

I did once see a 10GA pistol in the Cabelas gun library but I dont know what it weighed and the shell itself would take up much of the 16 oz limit, not to mention who wants to pull the trigger on what amounts to a 10 GA derringer.

As far as penetration or expansion, I of course want both but given a one shot choice I would go for expansion and hope I can cross the distance and physically handle the BG (given no other alternative)
Old February 15, 2011, 02:35 PM   #37
YoungGun

The number one thing I learned in a self defense situation is to shoot to neutralize the threat. Why in hell would I have to stop shooting after one round when I have a loaded gun. Even with a canon, I will empty the chamber and ramp that chunk of metal into the assailant.

Yg

Last edited by YoungGun; February 15, 2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:09 PM   #38
Rangefinder

In a dark alley, I'd say it's a non-issue. When the heck would you be doing wandering dark alleys in a part of town that would sport "deadly assailants wanting to 'do' someone in"?

The ultimate weapon is the one between your ears---use it first, use it right, and usually it's the only one you need...

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:41 PM   #39
markj

There are no dark alleys on my farm.

penetration gets to the vitals. Expansion is nothing without penetration, the 2 go hand in hand.

My .45 acp should do the trick.
Old February 15, 2011, 04:02 PM   #40
cracked91

If I KNEW it was going to happen, that 340PD seems like the best weapon for the job given the requirements. But in REAL LIFE, I would be taking my chances with .380 golden sabers out of an LCP like the next guy. Its a handgun. No caliber is going to give a one shot center mass stop every time. But most will most times, and thats as good as im gonna get.
Old February 15, 2011, 04:14 PM   #41
Old John

Well, I generally carry a Ruger SP101, .357. loaded with 125 gr.HP's.
But that's way over 16 oz.. It's 25 oz. unloaded.

But when I dress up to go out with DSW to an Art Show opening, I sometimes carry my Ruger LCR, .38 special loaded with .125 +P HP's.
Especially if it's Summertime. In Winter I'm as likely to carry the SP101.
The LCR is 13.5 OZ. unloaded. I'm sure that Loaded it would be pretty close to your 16 oz. Limit. And, I would not have a bit of doubt but that it would do the job, just fine.
I would not feel under gunned.........
However, my next purchase is going to be the .357 model of the LCR, just in case.
Old February 15, 2011, 04:15 PM   #42
old bear

Like so many others I don't own nor trust my safety to a mouse gun. So my best answer would be one of several .357 Magnums I own, as my Taurus 617 loaded with 158Gr. SWC'S is the revolver and load I generally carry it would be my choice.
Old February 15, 2011, 04:28 PM   #43
kenny g

hypothetical question.
one shot.
16 oz.
life or death situation..
i'd put a 12 ga double oo shell in this.

do i win ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpPKWPOOPM.jpg (45.4 KB, 50 views)
Old February 15, 2011, 05:51 PM   #44
ipscchef

Just my .02$- (.01$ after our Dear Leader gets his cut)

I am in the 340pd club, as I do not trust anything smaller, as in a .380. that is just my opinion and I am not bashing anyone who does. I am certain that there are many here who are more knowlegable than I who carry a .380 with confidence. I use a handload that gives me about 1150 fps. with a 125gr. JHP
and in all honesty, I will probably switch to something else at some point. I am not afraid of my hand hurting in a SD situation, it is just very hard to practice with the thing. I do practice with full power rounds, and given that I already have a good case of Arthritis in both hands, they do hurt for some time after even a short session with the 340.
I will probably try to get a Commander size 1911, that is easier on the hands during practice and load it with a 200gr. JHP going as fast as I can make it go reliably.
I think 16oz. is a pretty silly weight reqirement for a SD gun, even though I happen to have one, as it disqualifies the vast majority of SD guns.
JMHO and as always, YMMV
Willy

BTW, I am with Markj, there are no dark allies on my farm either, I will be shooting either a 1911, or a .45 Blackhawk when I am at home. And I do carry at home.

Last edited by ipscchef; February 15, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old February 15, 2011, 10:10 PM   #45
GM1967

Looks like the best answer to meet that weight limit is the thousand-dollar S&W 340PD (11.4 oz unloaded), using either .357 or .38+P rounds. Then again, I can't tell what it weighs loaded, can't find that info. What do 5 rounds of .38 or .357 weigh? Maybe the best answer is that 12 gauge shell in the plastic one-shot thingy

In autoloaders, that weight limit restricts you to .380 or less:
Ruger LCP (12 oz loaded)
Kel Tec P3AT (11 oz loaded)
Seecamp LWS38 (14 oz loaded)
NAA Guardian 32 (16 oz loaded)
Seecamp LWS32 (13 oz loaded)
Kel Tec P32 (10 oz loaded)

The only 9mm's that come close are the Rohrbaugh (17 oz loaded) and the Kel Tec PF9 (18 oz loaded)
Old February 15, 2011, 10:32 PM   #46
jimbob86

Quote:
there is no time for accuracy,
If there's time to draw, there's time to put the front sight on him.

You can't miss fast enough to win.
Old February 15, 2011, 10:55 PM   #47
motorhead0922

S&W Bodyguard 380 with 6 Speer Gold Dots = 14.4 oz.
Old February 15, 2011, 11:24 PM   #48
Squibb

Well, it's a hypothetical question, so I guess you are being asked to respond to it as such. While it is obvious most of the answers do not, and quite a few are based on common sense, it does not "play the game". While I really do not have a good hypothetical answer; I'd just like to say, " A sleazy dark ally!
Are you out of your mind?
Old February 16, 2011, 04:15 PM   #49
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

One shot placed where the clavicles meet at the top of the sternum - base of throat, put a hole in the trachea and esophagus. In this case, caliber doesn't matter, any of the light weight "pocket" .32s or .380s would work - just pull and jamb it in place before pulling the trigger. - knife there works also.
There's an old saying, "Novices argue hardware, experts argue shot placement."
Old February 16, 2011, 08:48 PM   #50
raimius

Uh...I'd go looking for polymers in 9mm. The Kahr PM9 only fails your weight criteria when you load it.

If your 16oz limit is a hard limit...well, I don't subscribe to that. If I can carry a gun, I can put up with a couple extra ounces for a cartridge I respect.

Tags
ammo , ammunition , handgun , placement , self defense