The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 18, 2015, 04:50 PM   #1
SARuger

Boyds gun stocks, not happy with them

I am building a Marlin 795 and I ordered the Rimfire Hunter in Nutmeg from Boyds 3 weeks ago. My CC was charged and I never received an email saying its been shipped. I have called the customer service department 5 times now, I get put on hold from the automated operator then after 5 minutes the call goes to voicemail telling me to leave a name and number and they will call me back.

They have never called me back!

I will not spend another dime of my hard earned money at Boyds

Last edited by Evan Thomas; January 19, 2015 at 12:44 AM. Reason: language.
Old January 18, 2015, 05:05 PM   #2
Pahoo

Not good !!!

Quote:
Boyds gun stocks, not happy with them
WOW !!!
I find this surprising and somewhat disturbing. I have done a bit of business with them and have excellent service. Going to have to watch them on my next purchase. Be sure and give us a follow-up whenever they get back to you. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old January 18, 2015, 05:08 PM   #3
lamarw

Contact your credit card company for a charge back. Although they may require you to send a return receipt letter first.
Old January 18, 2015, 07:12 PM   #4
SARuger

I know the stock will be nice if I ever get it but Boyds customer service is terrible at best
Old January 18, 2015, 08:25 PM   #5
357 Python

Is it possible that they closed for the Christmas and New Years holidays? They may not have come back to work yet. Years ago I worked contract security and some of our clients (usually manufacturing facilities) would close for several weeks during the holiday season.
Old January 18, 2015, 09:31 PM   #6
WyMark

Quote:
Is it possible that they closed for the Christmas and New Years holidays? They may not have come back to work yet. Years ago I worked contract security and some of our clients (usually manufacturing facilities) would close for several weeks during the holiday season.
If that were the case, it would be inexcusable to not say so right up front on the automated call system or v-mail.
Old January 18, 2015, 10:17 PM   #7
guf

Boyds

I've ordered many stocks from them over a period of years and never had a problem with their service.
Old January 19, 2015, 03:48 PM   #8
geetarman

Sometimes an electronic response from a company will be identified as spam. If you have not done so, try checking your spam folder and see if there is anything from them that might explain why you are not getting a response from them.

Carpe Cerveza
Old January 19, 2015, 10:04 PM   #9
SARuger

^ I checked that. I left message number 6 today
Old January 20, 2015, 12:48 AM   #10
Evan Thomas

Since you paid with a credit card, the card company should be able to help you if you dispute the charge. They're fairly good at mediating this kind of thing, and if all else fails, you'll be able to get your money back.
Old January 20, 2015, 08:33 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

Try calling shortly after they open - 9:00 AM your time.

Boyds has a pretty good reputation for handling defects, customer complaints, and billing/shipping issues. Try calling at a different time, and see if they'll get everything sorted to your satisfaction.

But, they do anger a few customers, once in a while.
I'm one of them. Almost six ago, I ordered a limited production stock that was on sale. It turned out to be the last one in stock. When it arrived (on a Friday), I discovered that the inletting and barrel channel had been milled off center and canted to the left, and the stock itself was warped. It was majorly defective - not even something that they would sell as a factory second.

Monday was Memorial Day, which meant that I had to wait until Tuesday to call them.
When I got ahold of them, the conversation went south very quickly.

The basic premise of the conversation was that I was shipped the wrong and/or defective product. But, since they had nothing to ship me as a replacement, they seemed to get completely stupid. Even the supposed 'supervisor' gave me the same moronic lines.
They started quoting a "72 hour" limit on 'wrong product' complaints, even though they have a 90 day return policy. When I pointed out the idiocy of those statements, with a late Friday delivery and a holiday weekend in play, they then turned to "no refunds or returns on factory seconds."
Umm.... Yea... I didn't order a factory second!

Long, increasingly frustrating story short... They told me that I could pay for shipping and return it, plus a restocking fee would be withheld from the refund. If that wasn't satisfactory, they pretty much recommended I 'eat poop' - there was nothing else that they were willing to do for me.

Having purchased the stock with a debit card, not a credit card, through a bank that wouldn't charge-back anything firearm related, I was stuck with it.
I eventually managed to sell the stock to someone that was desparate to get their hands on that model - even a defective example - and made back about 60% of my money. But the experience really left a bad taste in my mouth....
Old January 20, 2015, 08:26 PM   #12
SARuger

I called Boyds today at 9 central. I got the same voice mail run around. I threatened to report them to the BBB and ask my CC company to get me a refund, all in a voice mail of course.

Two hours later I noticed a missed call on my cell and a voice mail telling me that my stock was shipped, got a tracking number, and that it would be delivered Thursday.

I got another call from another Boyds rep an hour later making sure I got the first message.

It seems there may be some management issues at Boyds. They are good at making stocks but not good at following up on complaints or communication with customers.

Thanks to everyone on TFL that offered up advice on this matter. I hope that Boyds gets their act together and gets their customer service department in order.
Old January 21, 2015, 11:37 PM   #13
SARuger

Boyds called me again today! I should get my stock tomorrow(Thursday)
Old January 21, 2015, 11:55 PM   #14
Snyper

So you're getting your stock less than 4 weeks after you ordered it with major holidays in that period

Maybe a little more patience would create less stress next time
Old January 22, 2015, 03:08 AM   #15
SARuger

^Better communication from Boyds would have kept me more patient.
Old January 22, 2015, 07:11 PM   #16
Doug444

My recent experience...

was similar, but not as bad it seems. I ordered a stock the day after Christmas for a Win. M100 semi-auto. Received it Jan. 5 (Friday), opened it and found a nice stock, correct wood/color (laminate pepper)...but for a bolt action rifle. Called on Monday the 12th, got the wait/transfer to voicemail, left a message. Repeated 2 more days, missed Thurs. and was out of town on Friday. Had a missed call on Sat. from Boyd's (thought they didn't work Saturdays), connected on Monday when a nice lady called me. Explained the situation...they'll take care of it. Gave me an RMA #, but it took 2 more days to get my UPS return labels. She actually called me back the day after our first call for follow-up and found I hadn't gotten the label yet, so she lit a fire under the "new folks in the warehouse". Stock shipped back today, we'll see how long it takes to get the right stock. Overall, I'm OK with the CS. I'll be happier if they get the right stock to me this time around.
Old January 22, 2015, 07:43 PM   #17
SARuger

I got my stock today! It looks great and fits perfect. I will post a pic when I get a chance.
Old January 22, 2015, 10:57 PM   #18
SARuger

Boyds makes a beautiful stock

This is my new squirrel gun, a Marlin 795 with DIP trigger guard, KAT trigger/action upgrade, Hawke 3x9-40 IR lighted recticle rim-fire BDC scope and Boyds Nutmeg "rim-fire hunter" stock

Old January 23, 2015, 09:35 AM   #19
CowTowner

Glad to see everything turned out well.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 26, 2015, 12:34 PM   #20
STEINER

I have the same stock you purchased on a 795.
Sorry for the "glitch" ordering from Boyds.
It has to be an isolated case.
Boyds is a great company and IIRC, last year someone of the firing line
bought a Boyds stock and used screws to large in diameter for the pre-drilled holes. The stock cracked. He sent it back to Boyds and they sent him a new
stock. Boyds knew the guy screwed (no pun intended) up but took the hit anyway. That is good customer service.
Old September 29, 2015, 07:19 AM   #21
wogpotter

Impressive necrothread, just in time for Halloween!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 29, 2015, 08:25 AM   #22
rickyrick

That stock doesn't even compete with the boyds.

I'd really like to get paid to post on forums. Lol.
Old September 29, 2015, 09:13 AM   #23
CowTowner

Quote:
That stock doesn't even compete with the boyds.
I concur.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old September 29, 2015, 04:45 PM   #24
Tom Servo
Staff

Zombie thread? It's not even Halloween for another month yet.
Closed Thread