The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2009, 09:23 PM   #26
inSight-NEO

Quote:
The tapered spring is am improved design.
Im not sure about this one. It seems to me like this would allow for somewhat sloppy tolerances. Maybe I (along with many others) simply received a "bad batch of springs," but Im somewhat dubious about this. Sure, the tapered design may help in terms of capacity, but is it reliable for the long term? Again, Im not so sure.

Dont get me wrong, I definitely like the Mossberg platform (particularly the 590), but like anything else, it does have a few weak spots. To me the spring/follower they use just happens to be one of them. The elevator could use a bit of "finessing" as well, but I wont get into that one (Ive taken care of that myself).

Regardless, replacing the spring, if nothing else, is cheap insurance against such related issued. A few bucks and a few minutes is all that is required. Ditto on the somewhat shallow follower.

In relating to your question about the stock (it is essentially a Speedfeed 1 stock), the capacity is 2 rounds per side (assuming 2 3/4" loads). One caveat, Im not sure if they have improved the design since I bought my gun, but I noticed that unless you keep the buttstock "chamber" loaded to full capacity (2 rounds), then the round may pop out during recoil. Its weird, but it happens...at least to me.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; September 8, 2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old September 8, 2009, 09:42 PM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Consider this... the tapered section will fit inside the coils as it compresses. The symmetrical spring will have a tendency to actually bind as the coils compress.
Yes I feel it was just a bad batch of springs but I also feel that if a man is not 100% comfortable in his gear, he needs to make the needed changes...
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 09:46 PM   #28
inSight-NEO

Quote:
Consider this... the tapered section will fit inside the coils as it compresses. The symmetrical spring will have a tendency to actually bind as the coils compress.
Yes I feel it was just a bad batch of springs but I also feel that if a man is not 100% comfortable in his gear, he needs to make the needed changes...
I have considered this...but as a benefit to capacity only. Once the spring is compressed/uncompressed, it seems as if this design leaves a bit more room for binding/loss in tolerance(s). I have experienced this firsthand. Im not making this stuff up.

As a "for instance," I noticed, upon cleaning the weapon prior to shooting it for the first time, the tapered spring tended to "slide" around a bit more when mated to the follower (as well as the spring retention cap) vs. the more "traditional" springs used in other shotguns I own. It just seemed to me, at the time, that this "slipping" was a possible invitation to binding/misfeed issues.

Sure, in theory it may be a nice idea, but in reality, isnt it possible that this design just may not be ideal? I could be wrong here and will admit it if I am. But, if this tapered design was the "stuff" then Im assuming others would adopt it as well, no? Now, I will always stand by my belief that Mossberg has implemented many useful "against the norm" features within their shotguns. In fact, it is some of these very features that continue to draw me to their guns...the 590 line in particular. But, even the best miss the mark from time to time.

BTW- I am now 200% comfortable with my 590 (upon going with a Wolff spring and Vang Comp follower) as I now have over 500 rounds through this gun without one failure. With the stock setup I experienced 3 failures within one hour. Later on, when I brought the gun home and stripped it for cleaning, I discovered that the factory spring had literally bent back into itself. Crazy yes, but true.

Either way, Im not suggesting the OP run right out and replace this stuff right away. If his gun works as is, then thats a good thing indeed. After all, "if it aint broke, dont fix it"...as the saying goes. However, making him aware of such issues, should they rear their ugly head, is something I just felt inclined to do.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; September 10, 2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old September 8, 2009, 10:23 PM   #29
got_the_itch

And to think that 870 Knoxx Tac was just callin all your names!