The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 23, 2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Steven_Seagal

Ever been robbed at gunpoint while carrying?

If so, what did you do? If not, what WOULD you do? How would you handle the situation? Would you try and draw and engage the BG or would you comply and let him take what he wants?

I know the answer probably changes if you were alone or if you were with a loved one/friend who wasn't packing.

Sorry if this topic has been started before or if this is not the correct forum for this topic.
Old February 23, 2011, 12:41 PM   #2
glockcompact

To me there are to many what if's for me to say that I would do this or do that.
Old February 23, 2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Ben Towe

Are you asking if we would try to beat the drop? If so, the answer is probably not... unless he made the mistake of taking his eyes off of me. Then maybe.
Old February 23, 2011, 12:58 PM   #4
insolentshrew

Definitely too many what ifs, most of it would depend on the body language and how the BG was acting. I rarely carry any cash, and when I do it is not in any large sum, and I can cancel all my cards. I will most likely give him what he wants and be on my way. If he seems to be a druggy, real twitchy and nervous, and finger is resting on the trigger, I would be more likely to try and draw on him.
Old February 23, 2011, 01:38 PM   #5
69MachOne

My wife & I were out to dinner a few years back with another couple when an attempt was made. We had just exited the restaurant & had a walk to the parking area that was behind the building. I had paid the check & was the last person out. 2 AA males came towards me & ask if I had any change for bus fare. I replied that I did not & the one became demanding that I "check" my pockets & started towards me. I eyed them up quickly & noticed the approaching man had something in his right hand & immediately drew my Glock 21 & switched on the laser. First man ran & approaching man dropped a small knife & ran also. Called 911 & alerted restaurant of incident. Police arrived, took statement, asked for Carry permit, license etc. Never heard anything after that but there are signs to watch for if you are on alert at all times.
Old February 23, 2011, 01:55 PM   #6
madmo44mag

1st let me say that situational awareness is very important.
Many years ago I had a guy try and car jack me.
I sensed something afoot and had my 44 spl on my lap.
As he approached and raised his 9mm he found he was facing the BIG end of a large snub noise pistol.
It did not progress much from there.
He turned and ran out of one of his shoes.
I never fired a shot just chuckled and put my little 44 back between the seats and went on my way.
Old February 23, 2011, 02:28 PM   #7
markj

I was robbed without a gun, was in 7th grade, every time I had to go to the restroom seemed there was 6 or 7 guys would beat on me and take my cash. I tried every restroom in that school, found out the white guys went outside and did their buisness. DOH. We moved in the middle of the first semester and Ihad been beaten up 11 times. Thing was in 7th grade, the other guys were 15 and 16 years old...... I was like 12. Coming off a farm I had no clue what to expect.
Old February 23, 2011, 09:08 PM   #8
Micahweeks

Once, while I was working security, a bum came up to me to beg for money. It was at a gas station near our offices. I told him I had nothing for him. He got agitated and started mumbling incoherently. A couple of seconds later, he produced a pocket knife. My duty weapon was on my belt but hidden by my rain coat. I said, "Fine. You can have what's in my wallet." I reached toward my back pocket and turned my body where he couldn't see the gun. I drew it quickly and backed up. I politely asked him to rethink his position. He did. He dropped his knife and walked away.

In that case he brought a knife to a gun fight. If he had a gun, I probably would have just stalled him until someone else pulled up to the pump. It is a busy, well-lit gas station. Why not apprehend and arrest him? Because that gas station wasn't a client. I know it sounds kind of mercenary, but I don't work for free. If that gas station wants me to fix their vagrant problems, they can get a contract. If they don't want to pay, they can call the city police (best of luck). That's just the difference between private security and law enforcement. One is a business while the other is a public service. I've done both.
Old February 23, 2011, 11:14 PM   #9
Dwight55

He was a Mexican National Policeman, . . . I was a good mile on foot from the border, . . . he had a 1911 whose barrel had a bore size of something in the neighborhood of 2 inches (looked that way from my end any way), . . .

Gave him my last $10, . . . ain't been to Mexico since, . . . couldn't care less if the whole place slipped into the Pacific ocean.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 23, 2011, 11:18 PM   #10
Jeremiah/Az

I had a very large aggressive panhandler stick his head & arms in my open truck window & demand some change. My gun was on the seat beside me. I told him if he got out of my face, I would give him some change. He did & I did. He had no weapon in his hands. I did not want to bring the gun into play & probably could not have legally.
Old February 23, 2011, 11:23 PM   #11
essohbe

Anyone carry "dummy" wallets?

Take an old looking wallet and put $20 in it in tens and fives, maybe a couple ones and a fake credit card, add some dumb pictures of kids also to make it look authentic. If you get mugged take the fake wallet out and throw it on the ground. Depending on the situation you can run either the other way as they bend down to grab it - or - draw on them as soon as they take their eyes off you.

I've never been mugged but I've had a bum throw change back at me 'cause it apparently wasn't enough. Idiot. This other bum was threatening people saying he would kill them but no one took him seriously because he was obviously drugged up too much to even walk straight.
Old February 23, 2011, 11:58 PM   #12
Rufus T Firefly

Wide open subject.... Give em the money....

I would give him what I have if he had a weapon pointed at me. I am not Chuck Norris.

If I felt like Jackie Chan, I would flip in the air, shoot the gun from his hand and then jump off a tall building so I land in a dumpster.

Just kidding. I would change the landing in the dumpster part.
Old February 24, 2011, 12:04 AM   #13
Glenn Bartley

Quote:
Are you asking if we would try to beat the drop?
I would and I have. Of course, since he did not have a real gun (something I did not know then) we will never know if I would have beat him. The thing is, his cousin, who did have a real gun, fled when the second shot came out of mine.

Why not beat the drop? If you are standing there, motionless and letting him rob you, and are afraid to draw because he may shoot you because he is already pointing a gun at you, tell me - what do you do when his accomplice takes your gun away from you or what do you do when you give him your wallet and he sees your gun, or when he just shoots you anyway? Do you draw then, once you have been shot, even though he may again get the drop you!

I have trained to negate the threat and have a mindset to follow the training. I cannot say I will always do it, but I surmise that in most cases, I would move, I would draw, I would fire and hopefully would soon be behind cover or still be moving. I know which way to move to make it harder for the bad guy to shoot me and if it is open in that direction that is the way I am going unless cover is real close in another direction. If I was holding something when approached I might throw it at the bad guy then move, draw, fire, etc...

I am not Dick Tracy, Batman, Superman or Sherlock Holmes and I can assure you that the bad guys who try to rob people like me and you are not Pruneface, The Riddler, Lex Luthor, or Professor Moriarity. I am a trained gun carrying citizen and the bad guys are dirt bags who think life is cheap so long as they are thinking about our lives.

All the best,
Glenn B

Last edited by Glenn Bartley; February 24, 2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old February 24, 2011, 12:08 AM   #14
Rufus T Firefly

Glenn, I think you need a new trainer....

It sounds like you don't play the odds.
Old February 24, 2011, 12:21 AM   #15
egor20

Ever been robbed at gunpoint while carrying?

Myself no, my wife twice, both times with knives. The first time the 2 BGs turned tail and ran when she drew, second time the BG took one in the chest and one in the shoulder, he's now doing 25+ years, courtesy of the Commonwealth's Attorney.

Never irritate a redhead.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 24, 2011, 04:23 AM   #16
Glenn Dee

Yes I have.
Old February 24, 2011, 06:39 AM   #17
Amin Parker

Judging by how many times i have been interviewed by the police the count is 8. There have been other attempts that the cops felt was not worth paperwork.

Knives, guns, i have had them all point at me. Been shot at a few times, if i think back its about 10 rounds fired at me.

I always shot a lot, and know how hard it is to shoot straight even though i practice. If the robber is within reach i grabbed his pistol, if beyond i pretend to freeze and wait for him to come closer and do the same. If he is out of reach i draw my pistol and fire.

Its different over here. I am talking about attempted robberies at our business. If you give in it wont stop at handing over the money. You will be killed. Il rather die killing them but will never co operate. EVER.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old February 24, 2011, 07:50 AM   #18
Ben Towe

I'm not sure how good an idea it is to try to beat the drop. If it was a knife I would draw, but with a gun I don't know. Part of it would be what kind of gun and holster I have on that day:
XDm in Fobus kydex holster? A real likelihood I'll try it. I keep the retention screw pretty loose (not dangerously so) and I ain't Hickok, but I can bring it in play pretty quickly.

New Vaquero in Galco Wheelgunner? Not likely. I could be twice shot with a flintlock before I get into play if I have the hammer thong on.

Colt Walker? Just kidding, I doubt I'll be carrying that.
Old February 24, 2011, 08:33 AM   #19
Glenn Bartley

Quote:
It sounds like you don't play the odds.
What are the odds when you put yourself at the mercy of a dirt bag? All of this - he has me beat because he has a gun out stuff - is balderdash or already you death knell. So, since by the defeatist mind set, the guy has you beat already and since there is a good chance he will kill you or steal your gun then kill others with it - why wouldn't you fight back even if the odds were against you? Is it really that you would depend on the mercy of a guy who is robbing you at gun point or otherwise illegally threatening you?

Anyway, in my training over the years, when two people using firearms are against one another, and one has the gun holstered the other has it poiting at the one with his gun in the holster, I have seen the great majority who had it in the holster win. They did that by following their training, even when the other guy playing the bad guy had the same training. How - by moving/drawing/firing all while seeking cover - or if close enough by attempting a one handed take away while moving/drawing/firing or by creating a diversion and moving/drawing/firing. There is more to it than that, and training will provide you with the more to it part. Surrendering to someone who already has a gun pointed at me and who may quite likely be about to kill me, well - in most cases, that is not for me if I think I can avoid it and come out the winner. I am older and slower now maybe all the more reason to stick with what training I have already, much of it was geared at keeping me out of getting myself into such a situation, the rest was how to be a winner if such a situaton ever arose.

Quote:
Glenn, I think you need a new trainer....
As for my trainers, they have been in the US Border Patrol, the US Customs Patrol, the US Customs Office of Investigations, the NYPD, the California Highway Patrol, The Federal Air Marshals, and some other training sponsored by the NRA. I do not think I need to change my trainers. Most of them were of the same mindset when training about a do or die situation. That mindset was to fight back and win.

One thing to ponder though - that is really important: Many, if not most, robbers don't stop at the wallet - they look for or demand more from you. Think about what he or she will do when he or she finds your gun. Would you try to beat the drop then? By then it is almost certainly too late because even the bad guy has gone to another level of alertness and probably to a whole other mindset about whether or not to kill you if they had not previsously decided to do so. If you were not going to draw and fire when confronted by an armed assailant who is robbing you, maybe it would have been better for you not to have been arnmed in the first place.

I am not advocating what I would do, or think would do, for you or for anyone else. You do what you think is right for you after you get your training from whomever you get it from. Win or lose, you can figure and play the odds your own way.

All the best,
Glenn

Last edited by Glenn Bartley; February 24, 2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old February 24, 2011, 09:56 AM   #20
JerryM

Since as I understand it the normal reaction time is .3 of a second. If you can't draw and fire accurately in less time than that it is foolish to try to beat the drop.
Personally I do not believe anyone can draw a concealed handgun that fast.

If one could get the BG distracted, like saying something referring to a cop driving into the lot and the BG looking in that direction, then if you felt that he was going to shoot you anyway it might be worth a try. But to save a wallet? Not me. I'm not that fast, and can replace everything in my wallet.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old February 24, 2011, 10:02 AM   #21
youngunz4life

I would constantly be waiting for the opportunity to turn the table on the BG. This is plausible if he doesn't know I am carrying. I would draw on him quickly, But only if I thought for sure I could or if I felt I had no other choice. It definately doesn't mean that I would draw, but if I felt certain I had a golden opportunity then I wouldn't think twice about it(well maybe twice).