The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 17, 2010, 03:38 PM   #1
cgms310

Lincoln Imp 12 gauge

Just purchased a second hand Lincoln Imp Shotgun(made in Italy).

Over twenty years old, this remarkable weapon is beautifully marked and in excellent condition, however I believe it has only ever fired lead shot.

My problem/issue, is that my range allows only steel shot.

I was wondering if the readership could educate me as to if I can safely use steel shot with this shotgun, or have I shot myself in the foot (proverbially speaking!) ?

With grateful thanks,

CGMS
Old June 17, 2010, 04:52 PM   #2
the rifleer

I cant think of any reason why you couldn't use steel shot, just as long as you are using the correct choke... I know that really tight chokes aren't good for use with steel shot, but you better wait for someone else to verify.
Old June 18, 2010, 10:46 AM   #3
cgms310

Thank you so much, I really do appreciate your reply and I will await further responses before I take further action.

You referred to the tightness of the choke, is this something I could loosen, then "hand tighten" or should I be looking for another type/style of choke?

Sorry for all the questions but I am new to the sport and anxious to get it right!

Regards,

CGMS
Old June 18, 2010, 11:00 AM   #4
oneounceload

Does this gun have removable choke tubes or is it a fixed choke gun?

If fixed choke (which would be on the bottom of the barrels along with chamber size), what are they?

Steel shot is generally not advised through anything tighter than a Modified, and then only if the gun is approved for steel. Steel does not compress like lead does, and if the barrel choke is too tight, bulging the barrel, or worse, would be the result
Old June 18, 2010, 01:01 PM   #5
the rifleer

When i said tight chokes, i was reffering to how tight of a pattern they make, not how tightly it is screwed into the barrel. All a choke is is basically a funnel shaped tube at the end of the barrel. Its hard to see it, but it does taper down and it squeezes the shot together that way you get more shot in an area. The tighter the choke, the tighter the group. You always want your choke to be snuggly fit into the barrel. Dont crank it super tight, but you certainly dont want it to be loose either. How tightly it is in the barrel does NOT affect how it shoots, but if its really loose you can damage the gun.

If you go to a trap/skeet range you will see than alot of people have several chokes and they switch between them depending on what load and what range and what game they are shooting. If you are really into it you will have different chokes for skeet and trap. I just shoot improved modified for both skeet and trap, but i use a field pump gun and shoot pretty well with it too. I'd love a fancy over under but they are pricey.

You need to find out what kind of choke you have.

check out this web site, oneounceload siad you shouldn't use more than modified. There is a chart on this site. Take your gun to a gun shop and explain your situation and I can just about garenttee you will walk out with a choke that fits your gun.

http://www.briley.com/understandings...nbybriley.aspx

Last edited by the rifleer; June 18, 2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old June 18, 2010, 02:28 PM   #6
oneounceload

Quote:
You always want your choke to be snuggly fit into the barrel. Dont crank it super tight, but you certainly dont want it to be loose either. How tightly it is in the barrel does NOT affect how it shoots, but if its really loose you can damage the gun.
This only applies IF the gun has removable choke tubes. Many older guns have "fixed" chokes - that is, the choke taper and parallel are an integral part of the barrel and not changeable.

Example - my Savage/Fox 20 gauge, and my new S&W Elite are both fixed choked at IC/M. There are no tubes to change or tighten. My target guns, OTOH, all have removable chokes so I can change as necessary.

I am not familiar with this gun, so I do not know if it has fixed chokes or not
Old June 19, 2010, 08:35 PM   #7
cgms310

Gentlemen,

This is GREAT information and I thank you most sincerely for taking the time to assist me.

I am going to visit a local gunsmith next weekend and discuss this further before I use this shotgun for any purpose.

With best regards,

CGMS
Old June 29, 2010, 05:04 PM   #8
cgms310

UPDATE

As suggested, I went to visit a professional gunsmith with the following results:
On inspection of the shotgun, he noted that the upper choke had a single "score mark" and the lower choke has four "score marks". He then told me these markings indicate the following:
The upper choke was only suitable for lead shot and the lower suitable for steel. (Is this correct?)

The choke's both measured: OD .775

He did try to fit a Benelli choke, however that particular one measured: OD .785 and obviously did not fit.

My biggest concern is if I can purchase the correct choke here in the US? The gunsmith did not seem to think so, and I now fear I may have purchased a lemon! I suppose Italy or England are my last possible places to contact, before I turn this gun into a wall ornament!

Any suggestions/ideas gentlemen?

Regards,

CGMS
Old June 29, 2010, 05:53 PM   #9
oneounceload

You might call Briley in Houston - they are the big dog in the choke tube business and make many tubes for gun makers. If the diameter and thread pitch can be measured, then tubes can be made. Most likely it is a standard thread pitch, but there are many "standards"

Here is a chart telling the choke designations as typically used:

http://www.hallowellco.com/choke_chart.htm

HTH..............