The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 26, 2012, 01:35 PM   #1
kallen90

Need some input on selection please.

I'm looking at buying an AR of some sort, I haven't decided if I want an AR-10 or AR-15. This is where I need some help. I don't really know much about guns brand wise, such as who is better then who. I'm in the Army and I've used a colt M4 my entire career. I'm kind of leaning towards the AR-15 just because I know how to shoot it, I know how to zero it, tear it down, fix it, etc. I've also messed around with a Scar and its pretty awesome. One of the special forces guys had one. My budget is $3000. The only must haves I want are either a red dot or acog, fore grip with bi-pod pop out and adjustable stock.

I just need a little bit of help, simply because I don't really know what is good and what isn't all that great. I've never really been in depth into the civilian gun world but I get to play with some bad guns at work. Give me a .50 cal, mark 19, 320 or an m4 and I can tear them down, fix them, shoot them, zero, time em etc. I'm just not familiar with the civilian side of things.
Old November 26, 2012, 02:56 PM   #2
DASHZNT

AR10 is nice.. AR15 is alot more economical to build out and shoot as well. It depends how far you wanna reach out and the purpose of the rifle. For self defense and target shooting up to a few hundred yards, I go with an AR15, the best part is youll have alot of that cash available still for christmas!!

Now an AR10 would be more suited to you if you wanna reach well past that range and send followup shots quickly. Again, if you built it yourself, the quality control will be higher and you can still have some money left over for christmas!!

I personally have a Remington 700 R5 bolt action sniper rifle with a 10 round magazine. Although its a little slower than a semi auto, my purpose is for shooting paper at 1000 yards away and also maybe one day hunt, although i never have!

I hooe I was helpful and good luck with your decision, im curious to see what you go with.

DASHZNT
Old November 26, 2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Guilty

I suggest that you go with the AR15 since you are already familiar with the Colt M4 and the AR15 is highly popular, with low recoil and is affordable to shoot.
There are several top shelf, reliable, mil-spec manufacturers including Colt, BCM, Noveske, Daniel Defense and Larue, any of these manufacturers AR15's will hold their value, are very reliable, accurate and well built.
Shooting the AR15 has a lower operating cost compared to the AR10 and you can always buy a .22 upper for even lower ammunition costs for plinking and practice.
With your budget of $3K, you should easily be able to buy a top-tier AR15, bipod, a 1-4 variable or red dot scope and ammunition.
Old November 26, 2012, 04:38 PM   #4
BarryLee

Why not just stick with the basic Colt M4 type AR15 since you are already experienced with it. They can be had for anywhere from $1000 on up depending on exact configuration. I provided a link to a pretty nice model that comes equipped with some aftermarket options just as an example. This would leave you plenty of money for the ACOG, additional magazines, ammo and any other desired bits and pieces.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

http://clydearmory.com/colt-le6920mp-black.html
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 26, 2012, 06:07 PM   #5
JimDandy

That LE6920 above, a nice Trijicon Acog, and 2000 rounds of .223 ammo would probably still leave you money left over
Old November 27, 2012, 01:40 AM   #6
kallen90

Thanks for the replies guys, I was also leaning more towards the AR-15 for the simple fact of how familiar I am with it. It also wouldn't be an issue to take it to work with me when we go to the range and throw some rounds through it. I'm not really worried about magazines, I have about 50 or so, along with a traditional bi-pod, a surefire flash light that has a fore grip that turns it on by squeezing the grip and a handful of other things.

How far can you typically shoot an AR-15? I can get 500 yards consistently with iron sights, but how much further can I shoot before I run into issues? I've never been to a range that has targets set up further then 500 yards.
Old November 27, 2012, 02:00 AM   #7
jimbob86

Unless you are looking to hunt big game with it, stick with the AR15 in 5.56.

If I had a 3K budget, I'd get a Colt LE6920, an ACOG, a Dillon progressive press and spend the remainder on conponents.....
Old November 27, 2012, 11:50 AM   #8
MikeWhite

If you don't plan on hunting, then it is hard to beat 556, and I have seen lot of deer taken with 223, so that might not even matter. Honestly, I would say daniel defense, mid length, your choice of Aimpoint, Eotech, or Trijicon. With your set limit it should be really easy to make you happy. The Colt is what I decided on, but if I had the extra money, I would have went DD, or BCM, hands down. As far as AR brands that are safe, nowadays, most of them are. Go DD, BCM, Colt, BM, Armalite, and you will be ok. Have fun with the build.

Also, there are brands like LMT, and Larue that will fit in your price range, and really give you something special. The PredatAR is incredible. But they are pricey, and all you are getting is a cooler looking slightly more accurate(debated) rifle.