The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2004, 10:03 PM   #1
Dwight55

Lee Progressive Loader

I was just wondering if anyone would care to share positive / negative experiences with their Lee progressive .45 ACP reloaders. I would like to get one, but thought I'd get some opinions first.
Also, I would appreciate any suggestions for "VERY CLEAN" powder to back up full house FMJ reloads.
Thanks, and may God bless,
Dwight
Old June 27, 2004, 10:48 PM   #2
Joe Portale

I have a Lee Pro 1000 for 5 years and have beaten snot out of it. It still loads good ammo. They do require some attention from time to time. The primer system is a simple gravity feed, that needs to be kept maticulously clean. A couple grains of powder will gun the thing up. I keep a can of copmpressed air near the press, a couple of puffs is usually all it takes to get the primers moving again. ALso, when you get down to the last five or six primers, there is not enough slope to keep them moving.

There is a little platic gear in the indexing mechanism that if someting get bound up will strip. Now as much as a pain in the ass this can be, the plastic gear is doing what it suppose to do, strip before youbreak something big. The good thing is they are really cheap, so keep a half dozen around, the down side is, they break often.

The powder measure system works really well with ball powder, fair with flack, and don;t even waste your time with stick. With powders like AA #5, BL22, and so one, the measure is pretty accurate.

The case feeder is a marvel of design simplicity. It works great when you take the time to adjust it properly.

Remember, this is a Lee, it is an hobbists press. If you are doing a few hundred rounds a day, this press will work for you. If you are thinking of production, buy a Dillion.

There is one thing that I learned talking to other press owners. Dillion buyers will read the owners manuals cover to cover. Learn sections by heart. But for some reason folks that buy Lee products skip the instructions. Don't do that. Read the bloody manual, it will save you a good deal of heart burn and aggrivation.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old June 27, 2004, 11:15 PM   #3
HSMITH

I don't think much of the Lee reloaders, I prefer the Dillon progressives. The Lee Loadmaster is the bottom line press I would consider, but only get it if I could not afford a Dillon 550. Joe gives good advice and a great post, I agree with him on all points.

The powder you look for is Power Pistol or Universal Clays, both with leave just a tiny ash in the barrel with PP flashing a little and UC having no flash. Both are 'full house' plus some capable.
Old June 28, 2004, 05:57 PM   #4
rwilson452

Dillon snobs and Lee

I have had two lee presses Lee presses the turret with the auto indexing and the Lee LoadMaster. Most of my friends have Dillons. I admit the LoadMaster is picky to set up. So after one of these after shooting sessions we had a contest. one of the fellows that doesn't reload monitored the challenge. the test. make 100 rounds of 45ACP ammo. the rules were simple you could preload your press and make every thing ready. you would be timed for the first pull of the lever until the last round popped out. each would do this three times and the times avaraged. The Dillon guy lost big time. Neither press suffered problems. it was simple how fast can you churn them out. The observer noted the Lee weak point is the primer feeder but if the Dillon didn't have extra tubes it would be slower for long runs. the Dillon lacks a bullet feeder. Both case feeders work. the Dillon low powder alarm is good.

Observer bought a factory second Lee loadmaster from Lee directly.

Old June 28, 2004, 10:03 PM   #5
Dwight55

At $123.00 from Cabela, I think I will do the Lee thing this fall (good Lord willing of course). I used a Spartan single die press for several years, and am really not too unhappy that I lost my shirt on the deal that got it out of my house and away where I couldn't use it.
Thanks, guys, really glad for the info.
May God bless,
Dwight