The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 24, 2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Airman Basic

Model 66 with stainless sights

Is that unusual? Have a 66 with stainless sights front and rear. Haven't seen a lot of them around. Maybe didn't make 'em long 'cause it's harder to see the sight picture? Pinned barrel, recessed cylinder and believe it was made in the early 70s.
Old May 24, 2013, 08:54 AM   #2
AID_Admin

This is one of the very first ones. Initially Model 66 came with stainless sights, but quickly were changed to black, since stainless reflects light and it's hard to aim in the direct sunlight. Supposedly guns with stainless sights worth more, as they have collectors value. But I think it only works for guns in mint condition with box and papers... Either way, it's a very fine gun!
Old May 24, 2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

They didn't make those long. They were also the only 66's with recessed cylinders IIRC.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:30 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Those would be the dash 1, as I bought a -2 and it does not have recessed cylinder
Old May 24, 2013, 01:13 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Stainless sights were only done on the first year production guns (possibly the first two production years, not sure about the second year guns).

Collectors pay a bit more for this, because they are the first year production guns.

I have a model 66 (4") no dash, blued sights, pinned barrel and recessed chambers. An early gun (no dash) but not first year production.

And yes, the did drop the stainless sights because they were hard to see.
Old May 24, 2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Airman Basic

Doesn't seem to have a dash. Yes, I soot the sights so I can see them. Just a shooter but the most accurate pistol I own. Trigger worked 40 years ago by a gun-nut name of Chip Todd who designed guitars to support his gun habit. Best trigger I've personally used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m66.jpg (183.8 KB, 33 views)
Old May 24, 2013, 06:18 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

On these first year or so Model 66's the hammer and trigger were also solid stainless steel.
These were No-Dash Model 66's.

After about a year, S&W was not satisfied with the stainless hammers and triggers so they started using standard forged and color case hardened parts with a "flash" plated thin coat of hard chrome to keep the carbon hammer and trigger from rusting and to match the actual stainless of the rest of the gun.

Around the same time, they were getting complaints about reflected light off the stainless steel rear sight, so they started putting some sort of blackened finish on the stainless sights.
These blackened stainless sights can be identified by a "S" stamped on the under side of the sight leaf.
Old May 24, 2013, 08:06 PM   #8
Winchester_73

A visual reference

Quote:
Supposedly guns with stainless sights worth more, as they have collectors value. But I think it only works for guns in mint condition with box and papers... Either way, it's a very fine gun!
Yea I agree, thats why I bought this one Its a first year gun as well.