The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old December 31, 2011, 02:13 PM   #1
shaunpain

SAMCO - Anyone have input on these folks?

I purchased a rifle from them this Christmas Eve and I've been patient about trying to get in touch with them to see when they shipped/are shipping as my FFL wants to know this information. I have received one email back when I requested an order update asking for who my FFL is. I sent the info back, sent them another email today, no response. I'm a little worried as, of course, I was already charged a few days ago.

My question is, should I be worried here? Granted, it's the holiday, but if you have the staff to charge the credit card, can't you throw my box on the truck already?!?
Old December 31, 2011, 02:49 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

the order acceptance and charging the CC is almost certainly automated.
Purchased from them before without any major problems(I think one surplus rifle was not as I was hoping, but not in bad shape or even bad for the price I just thought I was going to get a super deal and it ended up just being an OK one).

I wouldn't worry until the holidays pass.
Old December 31, 2011, 08:09 PM   #3
ozarkrecluse

They're not the speediest bunch when it comes to shipping but the rifles I've bought from them were as represented and I'm pleased with my purchases. I used my C&R license with them.

The biggest problem I had with them is I didn't speak Cuban and the lady on the phone didn't speak redneck.
Old January 1, 2012, 05:20 PM   #4
shaunpain

It seems like A. they are NEVER open and B. DO NOT return any sort of correspondence. I hope I get my rifle but am reporting that some of you who don't like dealing with complete jackasses, stay away from this company. Their prices are similar to other companies who may perform much better.

Their charging of my CC is not automated, as I purchased it, never got my shipping quote, and it was nicked two days later. I gave them my security code to process this transaction, which means a human physically charged my card two days later. I know this because Chase is pretty awesome with notifying about everything going on.

It has been a week and my rifle hasn't left the operation. THAT is a problem to me. I work in hospitality so when I get ****ty service it speaks volumes to me. Never ordering from them again.
Old January 1, 2012, 05:48 PM   #5
MLeake

You ordered something on Christmas Eve, and you expect expeditious service? Really? And you are amazed that staff are not on hand to answer phone calls and emails?

Maybe they actually go to skeleton staffing from Christmas to New Year's. I wish more employers did.
Old January 1, 2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Hawg

Ordering on Christmas eve I wouldn't even think of getting it till the end of next week and wouldn't start to worry til the middle of the next week.
Old January 2, 2012, 05:15 AM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

I've ordered from them on several occasions and had no complaints.

The only issue I ever had with them was when I tried to buy some dummy steel 6.5x55 rounds on a phone order. The person taking the order wanted me to fax my DL to prove I was old enough to buy ammunition. I tried repeatedly to explain that it wasn't ammuntion, that it was just solid pieces of steel shaped like ammunition but either she didn't understand or didn't care. I finally gave up since I didn't feel like faxing my DL when it really wasn't required.

I agree that ordering something on Christmas Eve is not a recipe for rapid receipt. If I were to place an order on Christmas Eve from a relatively small business, I would figure that was more or less identical to placing the order on 2 Jan and start counting from there.
Quote:
Their charging of my CC is not automated, as I purchased it, never got my shipping quote, and it was nicked two days later.
Yeah, so the person who does the accounting/finances may still be at work, but the persons who answer CS requests and ship orders may be on vacation. Happens this time of year. I work at a large company--over 5K employees at the facility where I'm employed and if you were trying to get hold of someone between Christmas & New Years you'd be pretty much out of luck. The facility is pretty much shut down for the entire period.
Old January 4, 2012, 12:49 AM   #8
Sasquatch in MN

Samco is Good to go, just SLOW

Numerous dealings with them on firearms, ammo, and parts over the years. 100% satisfied with product, but the processing time is very, very slow.

Don
Old January 10, 2012, 03:53 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
some dummy steel 6.5x55 rounds on a phone order.
I think I ordered some 6.5X55 from them that was labeled practice/dummy and had wood bullets. I didn't intend to shoot it and have never tried, but I assumed it has a primer or something firing it. Maybe totally different product, maybe mine doesn't have any propellant, but I can't imagine there are a whole lot of surplus training ammo types for 6.5 X55. I never looked at mine closely. They were dirt cheap and kind of cool looking/sounding so I bought a few.
Old January 11, 2012, 12:07 AM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

You bought "wooden blanks". They were blanks loaded with wooden bullets. The threaded muzzle commonly seen on the Swedish Mausers was to allow the attachment of a "blank shredder" which basically turned the wooden bullets into tiny splinters. The idea was that soldiers could practice the basic motions of loading and firing without needing a dirt backstop.

Just a warning, they MAY have corrosive priming--it's been awhile since I've read anything about them. Also, without the blank shredder, the wooden bullets will exit the muzzle at significant velocity, so treat them with respect even though they're called "blanks".

What I was trying to buy was steel dummy rounds. Solid pieces of steel machined into the shape of a 6.5.x55mm round.

In addition to the steel dummies and the wooden blanks, at one time you could also purchase "gallery" ammo in 6.5x55mm from Samco. The rounds were loaded with very short bullets in front of a light powder charge. I'm quite certain that they were corrosively primed.