The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 28, 2010, 11:31 PM   #1
webhak

Sauer & Sohn 6.5x53 rifle

I've inherited a beautiful breech-loading rifle from J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl. The barrel markings include:
  • ELL 6.5x53 R
  • ???UFF - LAUFSTAHL (with bullet-shaped symbol after) * The ??? indicate some letters that obscured by the scope mounting plate.

I have no other info to provide but would sure appreciate any information as to the value and history of this rifle.

I'll also be posting some questions about four European parlor/dueling pistols as well.
Old October 28, 2010, 11:33 PM   #2
webhak

Sorry about the large image size. I'm on the road and don't have access to my main computer to get these re-sized.
Old October 29, 2010, 07:50 AM   #3
mapsjanhere

probably chambered for this cartridge, you can get the dies from Midway and the brass from Grafs. A picture of the proofmarks on the underside of the barrel would help to give more exact date of manufacture, but the crown B crown U on the action say Germany prior to 1939.
Old October 29, 2010, 08:46 AM   #4
webhak

Thanks. I looked again and did not see any markings on the barrel. I did notice the number "473" stamped on the inside of the trigger guard.
Old October 29, 2010, 08:59 AM   #5
mapsjanhere

Did you take the barrel out of the action? The stamps are usually at the root of the barrel, just in front of the part that engages the action.
I looked at value, and you have two issues. You're missing the top claw mounts, that's $200 for anyone who wants to use it. The other is the cartridge. It's the old WWI era Dutch military caliber, long out of production, even in Europe with RWS, Norma and Lapua. Brass is $2 a pop, so despite this being a very nice German stalking rifle you'll find very few people who'd buy this to actually use it for hunting.
Typically a Sauer like that would go for $1000 - $1500 at Gunbroker, with the two limitations I mentioned you'd be lucky to get the lower value.
Old October 29, 2010, 09:04 AM   #6
webhak

Thanks. He may have some cartridges lying around that go with this one...or another German rifle/shotgun combo he used to have. I can't be sure as I was a kid when he bought these. It's too nice to shoot for me and will be a wall hanger if I have anything to say about it.
Old October 29, 2010, 12:45 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I suspect your "--FF LAUFSTAHL" is actually "KRUPP LAUFSTAHL" (Krupp Barrel Steel). As noted, cases can be made from .303 British but (I think) also from .30-40 Krag cases.

Jim
Old October 29, 2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Buffalo Arms has 6.5x53R Dutch brass reformed from .303 at $2.09 each but "only" $82 for 50 or $160 a hundred.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,740.html

Bertram brass with correct headstamp is more expensive but probably not worth the difference.

I don't know about load data, 6.5x54 Mannlicher would be a place to start looking or maybe there is something on the www.
Old October 30, 2010, 02:02 AM   #9
sauerfan

Hi webhak,

what you have is Sauer & Sohn model "Tell" (more precisely: "Tell-Büchse" = Tell rifle). There were two variations; you have the better one with detachable barrel (the screw lever on the left). Turn it to the left for some revolutions and you can take the barrel off from the action.

Please do so: as already mentioned, there you'll find (probably) more markings, like the proof date and so on.

Are you sure about the calibre? Very unusual for a Tell. I liked to see a photo of the calibre markings.

Regards

Martin

Tags
sauer