The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 18, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1
kwhi43

ROA'S Price Droping?

Just saw this on Gunbroker. New Old Army Stainless 384.00
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=164769975
Old April 18, 2010, 11:32 PM   #2
kwhi43

I was going to bid on it, but something just don't look right. Used blue ones
been going for 350-400 Stainless 450-500 . New stainless 600-700.
Something just told me to stay away. You know if something looks too good
to be true, it probably is.
Old April 19, 2010, 12:39 AM   #3
CajunPowder

New Bath Towel

Maybe the bath towel it was layin' on was the new part?
Old April 19, 2010, 03:49 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

I think so

I have been casually following the prices of ROAs over the last four months or so. I think that I have detected a decline in the final prices of auctions on GB. I think the decline began before I started checking it.

I have not followed every auction nor have I subjected any data to statistical analysis. Just a casual observation. Many auctions which start low are ended at less than 400.00. And many others which start at over 500.00 don't sell at all. The Stainless short barrel fixed sight seems to have retained its desirability.

I have not paid as much attention to the selling price or success of sail of other revolvers but I would not surprised to learn that all prices are down.

Economy? There may be a lesson in this. The economy has bottomed and is beginning to rebound. That may result in an increase in auction prices in the next year to eighteen months. The lesson is; If you want one, now may be the time to spring. If you have one to sell, hang onto it.

Take Mykeal's unflinching advice. Get an agreement to examine the pistol with the ability to return it.
Old April 19, 2010, 07:37 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPowder
Maybe the bath towel it was layin' on was the new part?
+1
Nether one looked new to me. When I see dark photos in a ad I suspect something is being hidden, like the turn line on the cylinder maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy
Economy? There may be a lesson in this. The economy has bottomed and is beginning to rebound.
I don't know Doc, I think we still have a ways to go before we see the bottom. A friend of mine has a small business that employs a dozen skilled workers, because of the new health care taxes he is going to lay one or more people off. His biz has been growing because of military contracts and this may be cut back also.

The unemployment numbers do not reflect the people no longer collecting benefits.

I do think prices on some fire arms are coming down. High end collector stuff is taking a hit, good time to buy if you have the cash.

Last edited by madcratebuilder; April 19, 2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old April 19, 2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

MCB

Bad news about the lay-offs.

I did not think about the impact of the new health care requirements on small business which I would anticipate would be nearly universal and quite profound. I was thinking only of what we are hearing in the news. Of course that has absolutely nothing to do with facts.

Also...The folks who are doing the census (an awful lot of people if I understand correctly) will soon be out of work.
Old April 19, 2010, 06:35 PM   #7
ClemBert

"Unfired" doesn't necessarily mean "old stock NIB". You may or may not have missed out on a great deal. It was at worst probably a fair deal and at best a very good deal. No mention of box or papers could mean that in addition to being overly fondled it may have turn marks, scraps, and smashed nipples. Perhaps the new owner will give us a report.
Old April 19, 2010, 08:04 PM   #8
kwhi43

Kinda glad I sold my used blue one last week, no box or anything for 400