The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 20, 1999, 09:22 PM   #1
CKing

Anybody had any experiences with both guns, both are tactical models, short action, 308's synthetic stocks. I know the remington looks better but head the savage out shoots it.
Old December 22, 1999, 08:28 PM   #2
lilbro

I prefer the 700 over the savage mostly because of the aftermarket parts and acc.
now as far as the savage out shooting the 700
all info i received when lookin to buy said different.So if you have both or you asked because your lookin to buy one.I suggest you go with the 700 sendero i did and wouldnt change "my" mind for anything
Old December 22, 1999, 10:04 PM   #3
WalterGAII

You won't get a Sendaro in .308. You will get the VS, which has a far superior trigger than the Savage. The Rem. trigger is fully adjustable. The Savage is replacable, and should be. (Replaced, that is.)
Old December 24, 1999, 09:54 AM   #4
Michael

As an owner of both Remington and Savage in the "tactical" (God I hate that word) configuration, if you are on a limited budget and have no problems with ego, your money is best invested in a Savage and a good scope.
Both Remington and Savage triggers are horrific out of the box, and BOTH can be safely adjusted to 2-2.5 pounds repeatable pull. I have several custom Remingtons, all are doing what a custom rifle should, and that's shoot exceptionally well. I also have a few box stock Remington varmint guns in .308, and they shoot in the 0.6 to 0.48 range
with premium factory ammo. My only Savage, a 110FP, in .308, shoots 0.41 to 0.45 with the same ammunition.
In the Rem -V- Sav discussion, unfortunatly a person gets more emotion than fact; both are good shooters, it's just a popularity contest for the most part.

------------------
Either learn to hit what you aim at, or take track lessons.