The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 22, 1999, 08:23 PM   #1
shootist16

I am looking for a fairly economical, but servicable rifle. My criteria is that parts and magazines are readily available and it fires a round that is common (I am thinking maybe .308). Aftermarket accessories would be a plus. I basically want something that I can plink around with and maybe upgrade.

------------------
-Dennis
Old December 23, 1999, 12:23 AM   #2
Destructo6

How about a CMP M1 Garand for $400?
Old December 23, 1999, 12:26 AM   #3
Bob Locke

I've seen a lot of French MAS 36's rechambered for .308 that sell for about $175.

Is that the sort of deal you're looking for as far as price and model go?
Old December 23, 1999, 09:26 AM   #4
shootist16

I would love an M-1 Garand, but I don't believe I qualify for the CMP. I think you have to shoot in a couple of competitions or something to qualify. The french rifle sounds interesting. Is it one that accessories are readily available for?

------------------
-Dennis
Old December 23, 1999, 12:32 PM   #5
LarryLove

Even if you're not buying it from the CMP, M1's can still be found for reasonable prices. I found one at a gunshow for $400, well-used but shootable. I had it rebarreled to .308 and had it reblued. It looks as good as it shoots! I simply can't recommend the M1 more if you're looking for a surplus rifle. You can find M1s in superb condition for about $700.
Old December 23, 1999, 01:17 PM   #6
Dave Finfrock

I've said it once, I'll say it again: FN49. You can get the Egyptian ones for $350 right now. Ammunition is cheap and plentiful, at least for now. Surplus 8mm from assorted Balkan countries runs about $120/case. Yes, it is corrosive, so you have to clean the gun. GI bore solvent is cheap and easy to get (nasty stuff). The FN49 is VERY easy to maintain. What are you waiting for? Go get one! You don't know what you're missing...
Old December 23, 1999, 01:19 PM   #7
shootist16

Does anyone know of any good sources? I could have it shipped to my departmental armorer. He has a FFL.

------------------
-Dennis
Old December 23, 1999, 01:58 PM   #8
Bob Locke

Try my buddies at The Armory (Virginia Beach, VA). They'll ship to your FFL holder for a very reasonable rate, and they have a good selection of the MAS's as well as many other older military bolt-action rifles such as the Swedish Mausers in 6.5x55 mm. Talk about an inherently accurate cartridge! At any rate, you can e-mail them a question or browse their inventory from their web page, though I think they got hacked a little while back, so their inventory page might not be back up yet. Tell them that I sent ya!
http://www.the-armory.com
Old December 23, 1999, 09:52 PM   #9
RickC

There used to be available (and may still be) lots of Swedish Mausers in 6.5 X 55. You still see lots of deals on the ammo, and that cartridge shoots very flat with a pretty tame recoil. The 96 model was extremely accurate and well made, as was the shorter carbine (I think it was a model 38). You can buy sporter stocks and dress it up if you want and it won't cost the farm. You MAY be able to get a .308 barrel for it (and you definitely can get 7mm Mauser), but you might want to check with someone like Gunparts Corp first to confirm the barrels that are available. (It's a small-ring Mauser.)

There are Enfields floating around (.303 British) that are still cheap and they have a good reputation for accuracy and dependability. Again, sporter stocks are available and ammo is cheap. I've seen them for $100 and up here in the north. (I owned 2 ... bought the first one for $25 w/case and 20 rds., the second I paid $50 for. Them days are gone.)

If you are from Canada, I'd suggest either Milarm in Edmonton, SIR in Winnipeg or Marstar near Ottawa. They sell all these old bolt actions, and Marstar sells actions and barrels if you just want to build a sporter.

I don't know the US sources very well, but Inter Ordnance in NC is advertising K98 Mausers in 8mm for $100 and up. These can be easily converted to lots of calibers (including .308) with a sporter stock very reasonably. If $100 buys good metal, don't worry about the stock ... sporterize it.

SOG is advertising Turkish Mausers in 8mm for $55, but be warned, re-barreling it may not be easy or even possible ... they apparently used 3 different thread/shoulder combinations (at least). Sporterizing it is easy however ... it's almost the same profile as the large-ring.

If Russian calibres don't upset you, there seem to be Moisin-Nagants from Romania floating around for the cost of a good lunch. Somewhere the other day I saw an add for $40 for one of these but I don't remember where. Check the Shotgun News.

I agree with the Garand suggestions from others in this thread ... if you can find yourself a deal somewhere. That's a fine weapon. It's .30-06, a little heavier than the .308 you were looking for. I'm from Canada, so I have seen deals up here on SA's, Winchesters (both returnees from Denmark) as well as Breda's and Berretta's (surplussed from Italy). I just got my VG - SA, Feb 1943; and my mid-50's Beretta in VG to Excellent arrives next week! (So I guess you could say Santa has been good.)

Hope this helps.
Old December 24, 1999, 10:16 PM   #10
tatters

My best friend bought a Swedish Mauser for about 100.00. Great rifle, and great, smooth as glass action.

------------------
So many a'holes-- so few bullets!------
Ford Fairlane

[This message has been edited by tatters (edited December 25, 1999).]