The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2013, 10:41 AM   #26
RBid

I think the LCP, LC9, and SR poly and 1911 pistols are all very good looking pistols. Great lines on them.

As for how good they are...

The LC9 really is an improved clone of the PF-9. Far more consistent reliability from them than the PF-9, but the trigger pull is sooooo looooong. I went through about 800 rounds with mine without cleaning it, with 0 malfunctions. In the end, I couldn't stand the trigger.

The LCP is to the P3AT as the LC9 is to the PF-9. My lady has one, and has put about 500 rounds of FMJ and I think 40 rounds of JHP through it with 0 malfunctions. It's not fun to shoot, but my lady can consistently put shots on target from 50 feet running it 1 handed. Too small for my hands.

Here is a review that I did last year on the SR9c. A bunch of other posters contributed heavily to the discussion, and provided a pretty fair assessment of the pistol.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492724
Old September 4, 2013, 07:48 PM   #27
mmb713

The new SR series of striker fired pistols are the best looking striker fired guns, IMHO. Their P Series guns, especially the P85 - P91, were frightful, albeit rugged and reliable. What I don't understand is why they are making an ugly 22 auto pistol now. Their Mark series are good looking pieces, the SR22... shudder.
Old September 5, 2013, 03:48 PM   #28
tahunua001

because the SR22 is a closer analog to standard duty pistols than the MK or 22/45 lines.
Old September 5, 2013, 04:18 PM   #29
K31Scout

The SR9c is OK looking.

My advice to Ruger...put an SR type trigger in the LC9. I bought a Shield because of the trigger. Otherwise I would prefer the Ruger.
Old September 7, 2013, 04:42 AM   #30
kcub

Do they all have the serial number on the side like these? Then never mind. Just another fugly Ruger then. Their lawyers can buy the one I was going to buy, I don't want it anymore.

Old September 7, 2013, 08:03 AM   #31
Dragline45

Quote:
Do they all have the serial number on the side like these?
I agree, when I had an SR9C I could not stand the cheap aluminum insert into the frame as a serial number. At least put it under the rail.
Old September 7, 2013, 03:11 PM   #32
Sgt.Fathead

For me, Form follows Function and I really don't care where the serial number is just as I don't care about the legalese on the barrel of my GP100. I learned my shooting basics in The Corps and instructions are on a lot of weapons there.

My wife and I daily carry his and hers SR9Cs and I love that little gun. Would I rather have NO manual safety to fuss with? Sure and the simple solution is, I just don't use it. The guns were inexpensive, accurate, durable with great Ruger customer service, dependable and did I mention?, accurate! I also carry at 4 o'clock high and canted forward with the 10 round mag with the pinkie extension baseplate and two 17 round mags on my weak side with grip extensions. With forty five rounds of 124gr SJHP I don't feel outgunned.

Incidentally, the top three choices for carry gun for us were the Glock 19, S&W M&P 9C and the SR9C.
Old September 8, 2013, 08:23 AM   #33
ritepath

plastic guns aren't made for collecting, the can cock the SN at a 20deg angle and I could give two agores less.

Why not put it on the inside of the dust cover, and not have it exposed anywhere.
Old September 8, 2013, 06:56 PM   #34
Sgt.Fathead

Quote:
plastic guns aren't made for collecting
That may be true but to each their own. I don't collect firearms, I utilize them as tools and am certain a fair number of others here do as well. I enjoy looking at a color case hardened single action, I think the 1911A1 is a perfect design, I've even owned an engraved Beretta 16 gauge side by side. But for me and my foundations as a military shooter, black and ugly is fine. Dependability and accuracy count for me.

I do have a friend who collects Glock, however.
Old September 8, 2013, 07:57 PM   #35
ritepath

If you like ugly then the SR is for you...bar none they're the most offensive frames of the poly guns, and they work so they make a fine tool.

My plastic guns are the only tools I utilize, most all my "good" just sit around and get cleaned.

Last edited by ritepath; September 8, 2013 at 08:08 PM.