The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Belve

first time reloader needing advice

So i have just ordered a lee turret kit, powder, brass and dies. I am looking to reload 10mm pistol and 5.7x28 my first question for target practice what is the best and most cost effective bullet for each of those calibers? my second question is what type of primers do those calibers take? Small or large? lastley again for only target practice what is the best bullet weight for each of those?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old January 10, 2013, 10:15 AM   #2
velillen

Look in your reloading book for primer size. The 10mm I believe is a large pistol off the top of my head (but double check). The 5.7 is probably a small bit again double check.

Cheapest bullets will be cast lead. Can be found for around 60-70 per 1k. But lead can be Smokey and you might not be allowed to shoot it indoors (depends on range). Next cheapest is plated which is around (80-120) per 1k depending on brand and weight. Is cleaner than lead but you can't push it to extreme or the plating could be damaged causing bad accuracy. Of course next is fmj and you'd have to look prices up. Obviously fmj is the best bit generally most expensive.

As for bullet weights....that's up to you really. For 10mm I use either 180gr or 220gr plated bullets and havemt had an issue yet. But they do make different weights for different applications. I generally stick to the weight the gun was originally and is most commonly found in. Ie 115gr for 9mm, 230gr for 45acp ect. I do use other weights such as 147gr for subsonic 9mm for my suppressor. See bullet weight is hard to say which is best. Just go with what the gun was designed around or you have been shooting.

As for 5.7 reloading....I have no clue on it and haven't looked really. Last time I did I don't think anyone was really reloading for it.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:21 AM   #3
jmortimer

It appears you do not have a manual or may not be using it. Get Modern Reloading if you do not have a manual, especially because you are using Lee Precision equipment. As for bullets go to a few bullet manufacturer sites or sellers like Mid-South and price them out. I use cast bullets which would be the least expensive, but probably not the best choice for you. Berry's plated bullets are a good deal. You got a good press to start out with.
Old January 10, 2013, 11:46 AM   #4
rg1

I'd check out this forum for loading 5.7x28 but this caliber is one that isn't best for reloading at all. Many issues with the laquer coated thin cases. Not for the inexperienced.
http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewforum.php?f=19