The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 10, 2009, 09:07 AM   #1
Rich Miranda

Time for a firearm-specific belt - recommendations?

OK, I know this has to have been hashed over many times here on TFL, and I searched, I promise

I am in need of a new black belt. My last one was from before I carried concealed so it was bought without any firearm considerations.

My new belt will be used to carry a holster and gun, so I need advice in general and some actual product recommendations would be nice

I'm heavy (AKA 'fat') if that makes any difference in terms of recommendations/advice.

Thanks!
Old December 10, 2009, 09:11 AM   #2
hoytinak

Look no further than www.thebeltman.net
Old December 10, 2009, 11:28 AM   #3
ClarkEMyers

Dressy or casual? Skived/dome shaped or square cornered?

Dressy or casual? Skived/dome shaped or square cornered?

It's always, always, best to start with a belt from your holster maker - it's a rig not a mix and match.

After that holsters made to fit dressy belts often are too tight in the loop to fit square cornered casual belts and of course holsters made to fit the biggest thickest square corner belt may shift a little on a dressy dome shaped belt - this may be good for comfort or bad for concealment and different for a top heavy pistol like the H&K p7 or a revolver - so it's always best to go with a rig. See e.g. Tony Kanaley's remarks on his own site - Milt Sparks - and comments all over.

Quote:
As of right now there is no real standard in the industry in regards to interchangeability of leather gear among the various makers. When you order a belt and holster set from the same maker, you can pretty much be assured the items will be a close match in how they fit and work together as a unit. When you mix and match gear from various makers, you may need to make some adjustments.
I should add that there are many fine makers out there whose gear will interchange just fine with our own. Unfortunately though, there's a few out there that seem to cause issues. To that point, I felt it necessary for this FAQ. .....
Tony Kanaley

If there's a better belt than Milt Sparks I'll bet Mr. Kanaley doesn't know about it or he'd step up and make his own belts better - though I don't know how.

I have holsters that fit only domed/skived dressy belts and don't fit say my Beltman belts at all and others that fit Beltman belts just fine and all from the same maker (Lou Alessi who made some great dressy belts himself with taper from 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" at the ends for comfort and to perhaps, perhaps, fool the casual observer) - rumor says Beltman has made some nice holsters of his own too.

For casual look belts and very good prices on longer lengths Andy Langlois is an overlooked source with shorter delivery times than some. HBE has been running shorter delivery times than others of similar quality. Another brand (read literally) who was one of the great bargains in exotic materials is currently a poor choice and some loss to the industry. For quicker delivery perhaps Wilson Combat or Nighthawk can ship from stock.

But start with thinking about your holster maker's belts.
Old December 10, 2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Ticman

Quote:
Look no further than www.thebeltman.net
X2. Best belt made for carring a gun IMO. Works great with my MTAC holster.
Old December 10, 2009, 02:18 PM   #5
golfnutrlv

Here is another option:

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Ho...00:10900:10906

I have the black leather gun belt. It has been great. Carries the gun well, no real issues.

On another note, I think my next gun belt will be from the belt man!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old December 10, 2009, 06:19 PM   #6
langloisandy

Belts

Thanks for the mention, I am currently under 2 weeks for most orders (in fact, I have been doing pre-holiday belts in uner 3-4 days lately). Look for a double thickness in January to be added to the line. (same thick bridle leather but with a tan back...)

Andy
www.shottist.com and www.andysgunthoughts.wordpress.com

Clark Wrote:

"For casual look belts and very good prices on longer lengths Andy Langlois is an overlooked source with shorter delivery times than some"
Old December 10, 2009, 06:47 PM   #7
LHB1

My favorite belts are by the late Lou Alessi. His daughter was trying to continue the business but I don't know their status now. Other good gun belts I have tried were made by Tony Kanaley/Milt Sparks and Josh Bulman. Bulman's Urban Slim belt is very thin but has an internal liner which makes it EXTREMELY stiff. It is a great gunbelt for carrying 1911's and other heavy pistols.
Old December 10, 2009, 08:11 PM   #8
rbernie

For casual wear, I have found the 'instructor belt' from Uncle Mikes/Mikes of Oregon to be perfectly suitable.
Old December 10, 2009, 08:26 PM   #9
uncledewey

Best holster belt I've owned.

Comp-Tac as far as I'm concerned makes the best holster belt I've seen. They are made with kydex sandwiched between leather and already contoured to fit. here's the link. Hope this will help you decide. They're not inexpensive though.
http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog.php?...tt2anekr44s7f0

Hope this helps!
Old December 29, 2009, 04:02 PM   #10
Wrothgar

Has anyone tried the Crossbreed belt with their holster? I'm looking at getting one.
Old December 29, 2009, 05:53 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Has anyone tried the Crossbreed belt with their holster? I'm looking at getting one.
I have a belt from Crossbreed as well as their Supertuck holster. Both are excellent.
Old January 2, 2010, 01:05 PM   #12
rdmallory

What size do you need?

A got a free 5.11 with some pants I purchased.

Don't need 5 belts/

Doug
Old January 2, 2010, 01:52 PM   #13
The Great Mahoo

I bought a belt from K&D Leather when I bought a holster from them. Excellent quality, provides great support, and holds up well. I would certainly buy from them again.
Old January 5, 2010, 09:44 AM   #14
gjmur

I really like my Liger gun belt I got off of the Maxpedition website. It looks a bit dressy, but would be good for all around use. I've also heard good things about the Frequent Flyer belts from The Wilderness Store.