The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 1, 2010, 02:32 PM   #1
Firepower!

Night Time Rifle of Choice

Hi Everyone!

Assuming that you have ONLY the following options, which would you choose to be the gun next to your bed?

Kirinkov with 45 rd mag
AMD65 with 75 drum
M4/M4A1 with 2 30rd magz cuppled
Saiga with 8rd mag
G3 with just a 20rd mag
MP5/K with 2 30rd magz cuppled

The only assumptions are that you live a relatively large house with wife and kids, guards are either dead or compromised, with walled in 2 lawns, urban setting without over peneteration issues, cannot carry bundle of mags and number of hostiles is less than 5 but more than 2.

Side arms is G21 with M6 combo and mepro sights.

Thanks
Old January 1, 2010, 02:52 PM   #2
mnhntr

MP5 or M4 with frangible ammo
Old January 1, 2010, 03:34 PM   #3
jhenry

Probably the AR simply due to familiarity and ergonomics. If a guy was more familiar with the AK then the Krinkov or the AMD makes about as much sense in such a situation where accuracy at extended range would not be an issue. I would not opt for the MP5 simply due to the caliber. A short AK/AMD or AR is as easy to manipulate in close quarters and offers more power. The shotgun does not offer as much precision if it were needed, and holds fewer rounds. The AMD with the 75 round RPD drum mag is pretty intriguing the more I think about it.
Old January 1, 2010, 03:36 PM   #4
kraigwy

642 w/crimson trace laser sights
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 1, 2010, 04:05 PM   #5
smince

AK74SU (no such thing as a "Krink" or "Krinkov"), or the AMD65.

Good choice of sidearm, though.
Old January 1, 2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Glenn Dee

Not to pour water on the thread... but it's not very realistic... Unless your a cartel leader, or a Afgahni war lord... A large fortified complund in an urban setting, with guards? who by the way are all dead? I'd trade all the above for a secure escape route. The fight is already over.

Sorry... just my opinion.

You got to know when to hold em
know when to fold em
know when to walk away
know when to RUN!!!
Old January 1, 2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Scout

I think it's a realistic scenario in southwest asia. I'd take the M 4.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Mannlicher

Quote:
Assuming that you have ONLY the following options, which would you choose to be the gun next to your bed?
choices are far too restricted, so I guess I won't play this time.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 1, 2010, 05:08 PM   #9
jhenry

You may want to take a look at the OP's location.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:20 PM   #10
Deaf Smith

M1 Carbine, hands down!

With DPX it's excellent in stopping power.

Low flash in the dark.

Low blast inside a house.

Light, short, easy to handle.

Up to 30 round mags.

Kicks not much more than a .22.

Is 'PC' and cheaper to get than alot of other tested battle rifles (CMP is the way to go.)

Sure I have other rifles and shotguns, but the M1 C is my most useful.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:22 PM   #11
Sixer

Quote:
You may want to take a look at the OP's location.
Yep. I've got a feeling that this could be a very realistic scenario for the OP. That said, I would grab the M4 or M4gery in my case.

I keep a few mags loaded with frangible ammo specifically made for CQ situations. Its also equipped with a SUPER BRIGHT TLR-2 along with a Holo sight (and BUIS) that IMHO makes it ideal for a night time situation.

ETA - YHM Phantom flash hider also reduces the muzzle flash.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:27 PM   #12
SPUSCG

ACR red dot/m203, aa-12 heartbeat sensor/extended mags. Semtex, sleight of hand, stopping power and steady aim.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:36 PM   #13
Drummer101

Of those the MP5/K has my vote.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:43 PM   #14
m1thumb

Interesting and fun question. I would go with the MP5, simply because it is more than likely that you won't be taking any shots past 10 yards and the MP5 will have post portability ducking throughout your house.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:51 PM   #15
Sixer

Quote:
ACR red dot/m203, aa-12 heartbeat sensor/extended mags. Semtex, sleight of hand, stopping power and steady aim.
LOL, thats great! PS3 or Xbox?

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old January 1, 2010, 06:00 PM   #16
Ian0351

I'd go with the MP5 in this particular situation, but I would prefer an MP5/10. The G3 is tempting, but if the rest if the security force is down I'd want more than 20 rds and burst capability. Also, a suppressor system would be a nice bonus if logistics permit.

+1 H&K military weapons if you can get your hands on them.

Semper Fidelis
Old January 1, 2010, 06:31 PM   #17
Beentown71

M4 with the coupled mags. Spray and RUN!!!! I would actually move J/K.

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink

Last edited by Beentown71; January 1, 2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: oops
Old January 1, 2010, 06:58 PM   #18
cwb

mp5/10
Old January 1, 2010, 07:22 PM   #19
Xanatos

SPUSCG, that's the funniest response I've ever heard. Thanks for the laugh.

Now, back on topic. Out of those listed, I'd go for the M4/AR-15, but that's because I have much more experience with those than any other assault rifle/carbine.
Old January 1, 2010, 09:06 PM   #20
Malamute

Can you get a drum for the Krinkov? Can you get tritium sights for either the Krinkov or MP-5? I believe East Germany had some clip on tritium sights for Kalashnikovs. May be worth looking in to if you don't have any.

I'd likely want to have either the MP-5 or Krinkov handy. What about your Glock 18? That and a couple 33 rd magazines would be nice for backup.

A suppressor would be nice. It would eliminate the muzzle flash (not blind you when you shot, and show your position), and the blast that would likely be about deafening in the house.

For those that don't pay attention, or think it's an internet game, the "ONLY" options are because that's what he has on hand available, not what his imagination comes up with. It's not a game.

Those guns are that you have, but if you can aquire any more, the Finnish Valmet Kalashnikovs had excellent night sights attached, and much improved day sights. The Galil copied the Valmets in almost every regard, but with a simpler rear sight. A compact Galil carbine may be good weapon for what you are doing.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Last edited by Malamute; January 1, 2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old January 1, 2010, 09:13 PM   #21
Bartholomew Roberts

Here is my analysis, you are in a large urban house, walled, with guards. Despite that, the guards are dead and at least two attackers remain, possibly as many as five.

That means they didn't come with water pistols or pointy sticks. They are likely adequately armed and prepared.

You mention you can't carry a bunch of mags. So we need to maximize both your onboard ammo capacity and the effectiveness of each round.

The MP5 and Saiga are immediately out because both of these are less suitable to your situation. The MP5 packs the same ammo (or less) as your other choices; but is less effective per round and with the stock extended it isn't all that much shorter or handier than your other choices either.

The Saiga is plenty effective (assuming no body armor); but you've already said you can't carry extra mags and 8 rounds is way too few for multiple attackers who have just breached a wall and eliminated multiple guards.

That leaves the four rifles. Of those, penetration concerns can be addressed by ammunition based on whatever type of structure you live in. If you have to go with ball ammo and your building materials are similar to American homes, then it may be worth giving 5.56 a thought.

Otherwise, I would pick the firearm that you are most proficient with, most confident in, and have the most training with and make sure it has sights you can use at night. A zero magnification red dot sight is probably the best for this. A weaponlight is pretty much a must too; but if you can't get the training on how to use it, it may not do you much good.
Old January 1, 2010, 09:33 PM   #22
tgstoken

Bone stock Underwood M1 Carbine. Best small rifle ever made and easy to shoot in the dark, if range doesnt exceed 50 yards (20-10 vision).
Old January 1, 2010, 09:37 PM   #23
armoredman

Krink first choice, (apologies, but that is the name I know it by, ), M4 second choice. Not the MP5, chances are too high attackers will have armor.
Old January 1, 2010, 10:08 PM   #24
SPUSCG

If you get a riot shield it will protect your back from bullets, and you can trhow smoke grenades and use a thermal scope to pick off bad guys, and use fmj rounds in case they hide behind cover.
Old January 2, 2010, 12:58 AM   #25
stantonizm

I wonder if real soldiers get called noobs for over using the m203? And snipers.....talk about camping .

Tags
home defense , night time