The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 11, 1999, 10:40 PM   #1
Gwinnydapooh
Retired Screen Name

Can anyone tell me what it might set me back to add adjustable sights to a Browning HP or Arcus 94 with fixed ones? I assume there's some machining of the slide required, then the actual installation, then refinishing. I have some knowledge of metalworking from making knives. I guess what I'm asking is what aftermarket sights work well, can I do this myself, if not what kind of expense should I expect?

Oh yeah, and in your opinions--is it worth it? This would be a house gun but also used for fun at the range.

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron
Old November 11, 1999, 11:00 PM   #2
Grayfox

There are several companies that make a replacement adjustable sight that will fit in the HP standard sight cut. Pacmyer, MMC and Meprolight come to mind. The problem is that most of them (I'm not sure about MMC) are large bulky affairs that stick out like a cinder block. For a target pistol this is fine, but I wouldn't want them on a carry gun.
Old November 12, 1999, 12:22 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Don, I would recommend the Millet Custom Combat Low Profile. ($55.00) The slide has to be machined but it's probably the best of the bunch. As Grayfox said, just about everybody and their brother makes a sight for the HP. The MMC's are nice also. George
Old November 12, 1999, 12:24 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Don, the price I put in the prior post was the retail for that sight alone. I would expect you would have to pay $60-$80 for the installation. I think the MMC's will just fit the dovetail and there might be a couple of other "no gunsmithing" types as well. George
Old November 12, 1999, 10:58 PM   #5
swehrman

I have the MMC rear adjustable sight on my Hi-Power and you definately need to machine the slide in order for it to fit. I sent my slide to MMC and they did the machining for an additional $50 dollars.

-- Scott
Old November 12, 1999, 11:19 PM   #6
Gwinnydapooh
Retired Screen Name

In the Mec-Gar sight thread in this forum, someone posted a place that sells Mec-Gar adjustables for $35--are these things good enough to justify saving $20, or am I better off spending it? Remember, carry is illegal in my state--this gun will be in a safe or at the range.

------------------
Don

Old November 14, 1999, 09:18 AM   #7
HS

Don, with the Mec-Gar you'll be saving more like $70 to $120 depending on what sight & how much milling is required.
The Mec-Gar fits the ORIGINAL dovetail.

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail [email protected]
Alternate E-mail
[email protected]

Old November 14, 1999, 11:23 AM   #8
Gwinnydapooh
Retired Screen Name

Thanks, HS and Grayfox, that makes sense. Again, how do you guys know this stuff? Pretty cool.

Can I install a Mec-Gar, MMC or similar sight designed for the original dovetail myself without too much danger of ruining anything? It doesn't look too complicated but nothing does until you're too far into it to stop.

------------------
Don

Old November 14, 1999, 04:59 PM   #9
swehrman

You should be able to just tap out the current sight, and then tap in the new one. If you're worried about messing up the finish, take it to a smith. Most I've gone to would do it for $5.00, if that.

-- Scott
Old November 17, 1999, 12:58 AM   #10
STUMPTHINKER

REMOVE SLIDE FROM FRAME AND REMOVE BBL. WRAP ABOUT SIX LAYERS OF NEWSPAPER OR A PEICE OF LEATHER ONTO SLIDE AND PLACE IN VICE JUST SNUG ENOUGH TO HOLD IT. TOO MUCH PRESSURE MIGHT CAUSE SLIDE WALLS TO BEND. NOW, WITH YOU LOOKING AT IT FROM A REARWARD POSISTON, TAP OUT OLD SIGHT FROM LEFT TO RIGHT USING A FLAT NOSE PUNCH AND SMALL PEEN HAMMER. CLEAN OUT YOUR DOVETAIL CUT AND PLACE A LITTLE OIL ON IT. INSTALL YOUR NEW SIGHT FROM RIGHT TO LEFT , THIS TIME USING A WOODEN DOWL CUT ABOUT 3"LONG INSTEAD OF THE METAL PUNCH SO IT DOES'NT SCAR YOUR FINNISH. AFTER YOU CENTER IT, MAKE YOUR FINAL ADJ"S AT THE RANGE WITH THE AMMO YOUR GOING TO KEEP USING. HOPE THIS HELPS.