The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 1, 2012, 04:56 AM   #1
aydtk

Savage FCP-10

I have a bit of a problem...I love my new Savage FCP-10 in .308, unfortunately the stock is a little long for my stubby arms. I am in Germany and took it to a master gunsmith who pointed out that the stock was probably not solid and that the recoil pad inserts slightly into the stock. This means that even if we were able to cut off the 15mm or so required, the stock recoil pad would not fit (because the stock slims down as you go forward.) Also, without taking it apart, we don't even know if it is possible to cut the stock off and still reattach the recoil pad.

The gunsmith suggested that I contact Savage to see if they had a thinner recoil pad, but I like my shoulder just like it is (unbruised). I do like to shoot and with the recoil pad that came stock with the gun, I can shoot it all day..

Does anyone have any experience in this area ?
Old October 1, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2
arizona98tj

I am surprised that a "master gunsmith" could not figure out how to resolve your problem.

It is fairly common now days to find polymer stocks that are hollow. The recoil pad, if screwed in, usually engages a couple of areas on the stock that are cast into the stock during production. And yes, when you shorten the stock, these will often be cut away.

I've seen a number of stocks of this type that were shortened (cut) and then either a wooden block or epoxy plug crafted and fit into the cut end of the stock. One must usually cut a hole in them to allow access to the screw/nut that holds the stock onto the receiver. Once in place, screw holes for attaching the recoil pad are drilled. Yes...the recoil pad is then cut to fit, finished, and things are ready to go. A new recoil made by needed for fitting. Over all, a small price to pay for obtaining proper fitting to the firearm.

Edit: You have a nice rifle there. I hope you can get stock set up the way you wish. Here is my 10 FCP HS-Precision.

Old October 4, 2012, 06:13 AM   #3
aydtk

Savage FCP-10

Well, you have to understand Germans...they aren't much into our kind of gunsmithing, everything has to be "just as it was meant to be" Here is the kind of gunsmith this guy is (they've been building guns for over 100 years):

http://www.waffen-voelker.de/documen...0jahre(2).html

I had a US gunsmith mount the scope before I left and he screwed it all up... Since then I went ahead and ordered a Leupoold STD Savage 10 RH-SA one piece standard base that is made for the gun by Leupold. I have a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50mm Side Focus Illuminated Reticle scope with a 30mm tube diameter. Your gun is using Picatinny rails but do you (or anyone else out there) know which rings I will need to mount this scope correctly ?

kenny

Last edited by aydtk; October 4, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old October 4, 2012, 10:02 PM   #4
arizona98tj

I'll admit, I took the simple approach for mounting my Viper PST FFP scope. Purchased a 20 MOA rail made by EGW, picked up a pair of Burris Extreme 30mm rings, and bolted it all together.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with your base so can't say what kind of rings you will need to attach something to it.

Tags
fcp 10 , recoil pad , syntheic stock