The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 18, 2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Shotgun693

FN 49 Still Around?

I owned one, in 7 mm Mauser, in the early 80's and liked it. If I recall correctly they were in 7mm, .30-06 and 8 mm. I haven't seen one for sale in years.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:55 PM   #2
sgms

Saw 2 of them in 8m/m(I think 8) 2-3 weekends ago at a gun show. If my mind is working correctly I think they were around $500.00 give or take $50.00. Always liked there looks but never owned one so I look when I see one, someday maybe I'll stick a crowbar in the wallet and get one.
Old September 19, 2012, 10:24 PM   #3
raftman

Quote:
I owned one, in 7 mm Mauser, in the early 80's and liked it. If I recall correctly they were in 7mm, .30-06 and 8 mm. I haven't seen one for sale in years.
The Argentineans modified some to 7.62x51 as well, they had 20 round mags.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Webleymkv

Quote:
If I recall correctly they were in 7mm, .30-06 and 8 mm.
There were also Argentine contract rifles in 7.65x53 Mauser many of which were later rechambered to 7.62x51 NATO are modified to use 20-round detatchable magazines for the Argentine Navy. IIRC, nearly all the 7mm ones were for the Venezuelan contract, 8mm was for Egypt, and most others were .30-06. If you're looking to buy one, an Egyptian 8mm is about the most affordable variant.
Old September 25, 2012, 11:58 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

I have an Egyptian and a Venezuelan FN, both are nice classic rifles. Good thing the Germans didn't get ahold of the plans and tooling when they took Belgium in 1940, they would have had a good semi-auto battle rifle in time to at least prolong the war and defeat for another year or so.
Old September 29, 2012, 06:15 AM   #6
Ignition Override

They are very cool rifles and are considered the best, or among the best military semi-auto battle rifles ever produced. They were expensive to manufacture and must be one of the most underrated military rifles out there.

"Coyote Frank", who owns Coyote Arms in Newnan Ga, south of Atlanta, had an FN-49 with a mounted scope in June or early July at the show in Gwinnett GA. I was there and liked the rifle, though it might have been permanently altered to mount the scope.

He can have a pretty good selection of milsurps, based on what he and his daughter had at the show in early March, near ATL Airport.
She sold me a really nice Enfield #4/Mk. 1 with the bayonet. She is a mortician, and imagine the variety of guns sold when people die....

A private seller at the Southaven MS (by Memphis) show about a year ago offered at least four/five nice original FN-49s, in at least two of the four calibers. I've not noticed the guy at any other shows in this area, though other sellers who frequent those north MS shows might know how to contact him.

Last edited by Ignition Override; September 29, 2012 at 06:27 AM.