The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 30, 2001, 01:04 PM   #1
Kentucky Rifle

I purchased a new, expensive pistol in November '00. It "keyholes". The bullets are obviously tumbling. (Holes in the target prove this fact.) I have had no response from the factory regarding a repair. When I call the phone number that is provided on the side of the box, I get a message that, "This number will accept FAX transmissions only", and then there is a beep. So far, I've sent two FAX transmissions and three letters.
Do any of you gunsmiths feel that a good gunsmith in my area could do anything about this one defect in my new pistol?

Thanks,
KR
Old January 30, 2001, 07:59 PM   #2
johnwill

You really should post some usable information. The specific model, caliber, barrel length, and ammo you're using. The range to the target would be useful too.
Old January 31, 2001, 10:26 AM   #3
M1911

If you've only tried it with one type of ammunition, then try it with some other types (preferably good quality factory ammo). If it still keyholes, then the manufacturer should fix it.

M1911
Old January 31, 2001, 06:09 PM   #4
Kentucky Rifle

I appreciate the suggestions, fellas.

However, it's a little embarrassing to admit that an expensve pistol that I've wanted for years has this problem "right out of the box". Damn depressing, too. My mailbox keeps filling up with the same joke. "Will, you've obviously bought a lemon. I'll gladly give you $50.00 for it and take it off your hands". The first forty or fifty times you read this, you might get a smile. However, it's now getting a little old. I can't try some other ammunition because the instruction manual says "Silvertips Only". But, I did try to load a Hydra-Shok which looked to be exactly the same length. It jammed immediately.

KR
Old January 31, 2001, 08:40 PM   #5
johnwill

Hmm.... we wouldn't be talking about a Seecamp, would we?
Old January 31, 2001, 11:15 PM   #6
Kentucky Rifle

Yes
Old February 1, 2001, 05:24 AM   #7
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I think the answer is to send it back. Let them fix it.

Not sure why you'd be embarassed - you didn't build it. My reaction would be (at first) disgust, then after what you've done to correct it, anger.

Giz
Old February 1, 2001, 10:59 AM   #8
M1911

Then send it back. They should make it run.

M1911
Old February 1, 2001, 11:59 AM   #9
Kentucky Rifle

The problem is that there is an instruction that came in the box which said, if you need service on your pistol, contact the factory and we'll tell you how to proceed. Do not send your pistol back to the factory without contacting us first.
Sometimes I consider just driving to CT. and kocking on their door and saying I have a problem, will you help?

KR
Old February 1, 2001, 12:13 PM   #10
BigG

Wait a minute...

a Pocket Monster (not a target pistol!) that keyholes the bullet would put the effectiveness off the scale due to more energy dump, tissue destruction, etc. I fail to see the problem.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old February 1, 2001, 01:20 PM   #11
Kentucky Rifle

BigG

Don't think I haven't thought of that!
It's just with a .32ACP that is tumbling, it makes me wonder if it will penetrate enough to cause any damage.
Actually, even with tumbling bullets, I can keep all rounds in the chest area at 21 feet on a standard target.
(Which is probably WAY father than the pistol was meant to shoot in a defensive situation.)
I just thought that the pistol should work correctly.
Do you guys think that I should just quit bitching about the tumbling bullets?

KR
Old February 1, 2001, 02:23 PM   #12
M1911

Send a certified letter return receipt requested. Explain the situation and that you've already sent letters and faxes. Don't get nasty, but make it clear that you expect a prompt response. No need to say "or else," since that's implied when you say that you expect a prompt response.

You could also check with the FFL that you purchased the pistol from. Perhaps they have a contact number for Seecamp.

Also, have you tried calling directory assistance to get a voice number for Seecamp?

M1911
Old February 1, 2001, 03:51 PM   #13
Kentucky Rifle

M1911

Directory Assistance is the first thing I tried. The number that they have listed is the same FAX "only" number that is listed on the box.
I've got people working on it, though.
The day before yesterday, I received an e-mail from a fine fellow who has assured me that the problem is being addressed and some information is forthcoming.
Thanks for all he replies, guys. Means a lot to me.

Kentucky Rifle
Old February 1, 2001, 07:37 PM   #14
johnwill

Of course, with the demand for Seecamp pistols, you might just sell the damned thing for more than the cost of a good pocket pistol, like the Keltec P32 or the NAA Guardian...
Old February 1, 2001, 09:04 PM   #15
Kentucky Rifle

Pocket Pistols

I kind of consider myself a pocket pistol collector. I own both a P-32 and a Guardian.

KR
Old February 2, 2001, 12:32 AM   #16
Tupperware

I have exactly the same problem. Same non-response from Seecamp. Additionally, silvertip rounds from my gun shed their jacket after passing through cardboard. I will pick up my P-32 on Monday.
Old February 2, 2001, 10:32 AM   #17
Kentucky Rifle

Tupperware,
Could you please send me an e-mail?

Thanks,
Kentucky Rifle