The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 24, 2001, 02:49 PM   #1
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Hi folks. I'm trying to plan a 1911 project without knowing much about the subject, which is bad, but I have Halleck's 1911 Handbook on order as suggested. I also did a search for "1911" on this forum and read everything that seemed pertinent--out of 127 posts!

Anyway, I'm wondering about Briley's spherical bushing system, specifically getting a matched barrel and spherical bushing from Brownell's. Seems to me that the spherical bushing concept should allow the bushing to be fitted to much tighter tolerances without binding and without requiring me to do much fitting. I've read that the bushing/barrel fit is the most important point for accuracy, so I don't want to mess it up.
On the other hand, the system is expensive and it doesn't sound like many of you use it, which I wouldn't expect if it's worth the money. Can I get the same basic idea by buying one of the other barrel and bushing sets from Brownell's?

I guess what I'm asking is whether there's someplace I can buy a barrel/bushing combination that have already been fitted together by a professional, so that I can concentrate on less nerve-wracking portions of the pistol. Also, is fitting a barrel to a bushing really as hard as it sounds to me? Should I be bothering to have a professional do it at all?

BTW, I'm not looking to build an absolute tack driver, but I'd like to stay inside 3" at 25yds from a machine rest. I can't currently hold that offhand with any handgun I own anyway, so I would be able to grow into the gun.
Old January 24, 2001, 07:26 PM   #2
JoeHatley

Don,

I've got a Briley bushing on one of my 1911's. It works great, and did help accuracy a great deal. It's not a "magic bullet" and I don't think it is any more accurate than a properly fitted match bushing.

It does however give the average "parts swapper" the opportunity to get a proper front end lock up, without having to go through the trouble or expense of getting a solid bushing fitted.

If... the price doesn't bother you.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old January 25, 2001, 08:08 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Don, first I agree with Joe that they aren't any more accurate than a properly fit standard type bushing. But Briley does remove one step. With their range of ring sizes you should be able to find one that matches the OD of your barrel. The bushing has to be fit to your slide but the inside ring is already fit to the barrel. When replacing the bushing or building a gun for a client I recommend and prefer the MGW angle bored bushings. The bushing is reamed to fit the barrel and then turned down on the outside to fit the slide but the angle is already there and you don't have to worry about front and rear relief. It removes that concern like the Briley ring does. George