The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2009, 06:20 PM   #1
DigitalRX

Making dummy ammo from live ammo.

So, it's not really "Dummy" ammo, but I'm making 2-3 bottle openers out of old 7.62x54r rounds. I drill a hole in them with a dremel, with a slight stream of water going over the round so it doesn't get too hot / lower chance of sparking. I need to find some way to disarm the primer after the hole has been drilled into it. Would soaking it in water over night do it? I don't want to pop the primer in the gun due to gas blowback issues.
Old August 16, 2009, 06:25 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

what? This a loaded round you are trying to "dummify" (<---not sure if this is a word)? I would be especially careful. I would pull the bullet and dump the powder out........first. Then worry about the primer....with safety glasses. Then reseat the bullet. I personally would go to the store and buy a bottle opener...

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old August 16, 2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Kyo

if you drill a hole into a live round you are going to witness a boom
Old August 16, 2009, 06:31 PM   #4
DigitalRX

I have 5 of em drilled in, I'm a machinist, work with metal all the time, know how to make it so it doesn't go boom. I just can't figure out how to deactivate the primer. I thought about pulling / reseating the bullet, but I don't have a loading station (otherwise it would be simple) so I can't do that.
Old August 16, 2009, 06:35 PM   #5
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

It doesn't matter if you are a machinist if you don't know what you are doing. You need to understand completely what you are doing. You are minipulating the primer on a loaded round outside of a rifle chamber. Good luck with this.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old August 16, 2009, 06:37 PM   #6
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I dont want to sound harsh, but it may be better to use an empty case and send it to someone who relaods 7.62x54r. Pay the shipping both ways and I am sure someone will do it for you.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old August 16, 2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Casimer

I don't think that you're going to be able to reliably deactivate the primer. The method of soaking these in a penetrating oil isn't 100% effective. But maybe someone knows of a guaranteed solution.

IMO your best bet is to disassemble the cartridge, remove the primer in a press, and then use spent primer that you've re-formed to look like a new one.
Old August 16, 2009, 06:55 PM   #8
DigitalRX

Well, I'm just saying I know how to make it not go boom... I'm not anywhere near the primer, and I'm taking all the precautionary methods we use when drilling into a chamber filled with explosive vapors. Like I said, only issue I'm having is with the primer, dunno what to do with it. I don't want to pop it in my Nagant just because it doesn't have any way to release pressure... when I've made dummy rounds for my other guns, I've always done the drill method and just popped the primer.
Old August 16, 2009, 07:14 PM   #9
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
I need to find some way to disarm the primer after the hole has been drilled into it.
Quote:
Well, I'm just saying I know how to make it not go boom...
What is the purpose of this post, then?

You are not dealing with explosive vapors, BTW.

Quote:
I don't want to pop it in my Nagant just because it doesn't have any way to release pressure...
pull the bullet, dump the powder, then you can pop it in your Nagant.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old August 16, 2009, 07:59 PM   #10
DigitalRX

Well, they're not explosive vapors but they're less volatile than let's say... a container filled with hydrogen peroxide vapors, or any other highly volatile vapors.

The purpose of the post was; I know how to make it not go boom when I'm drilling, but I don't know how to deactivate the primer.

I tried making one out of a spent casing just to figure out the angle of cut and everything, and the shell is too small, it's too hard to work with so... my plan is done... now just to make those rounds into real dummy rounds :|
Old August 16, 2009, 08:23 PM   #11
GP100man

dummy primer???

proper safety attire at all times i prefer goggles over glasses & a pair of leather gloves

remove primer
remove anvil from primer ( when looking at it from above you`ll see a peice that has 2-3 legs to it , this is the anvil & a little tricky)
soak primer 48 hrs. in water to moisten & soften mixture (the mixture is handled wet at factory )
remove mixture carefully & completely

reinsert primer

this is only if your case is boxer primed?? 1 hole in bottom of case if 2 if 2 your case is berdan primed & removel is complcated some what ,fill the case with water then a tite punch to hydraulically "push" out the primer & hopefully no damage to it .

once its out the anvil is built into the case no problem, just soak & remove mixture from the primer cup & reinsert.

see it`s simple!!

Last edited by GP100man; August 16, 2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelun what else!!
Old August 16, 2009, 08:32 PM   #12
Farmland

Nothing personal but this isn't the smartest thing that I have heard on this forum. In fact it probably is the silliest. Sure it is brass and may not generate enough heat or a spark, but why ever take the chance.

Buy a $25 bullet puller and pull the bullet. Empty the powder in the yard. Play round with no bullet or powder in gun and pull the trigger in a safe area. The place bullet back on round and press in with a board.

This is probably the cheapest and safe way to do it.

@ Primers are extremely dangerous.

People have soaked them in WD-40, penetrating oil, water, for several days and then found that they fired just fine.

Don't believe me then read this.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/killprimers.shtml
Old August 16, 2009, 08:38 PM   #13
DigitalRX

Yea, it's not the smartest thing, which is why I was asking for ways to remove the primer :P... I'm scarred from an ill spent childhood, so removing the powder knowing how to deal with highly explosive things wasn't really a bother, the primer is what was getting to me. Just going to save up for a bit and buy a loading station. The brass sparking is a no-thought for me, I do it every day for my job, just not with gun powder. Hey, it's better than me making fire works when I was younger with a lit cigarette in hand :P
Old August 16, 2009, 08:44 PM   #14
Kyo

the best way is to pull the bullet out somehow, and secure the shell. then take a metal pin and slowly put it down the shell from the inside until the primer pops out.
Or, you can pull out the bullet and powder, stick it in the gun, and pull the trigger. there goes your primer.
or just ask someone on these forums(like the pay it forward forum) to send you some shells with spent primers.

doesn't matter if you are a machinist. things can still go wrong, but its not my risk so whatever. if you really want to just secure the shell, put a metal pin to it and strike it with a hammer. same thing
Old August 16, 2009, 08:48 PM   #15
ISC

decap the spent primer then fill the empty primer pocket with solder.
Old August 16, 2009, 09:34 PM   #16
Edward429451

I've made dummy rounds with the live look. The only way to do it safely is to prepare the primer separately as noted by one poster. Wet the primer down overnight in water and take the anvil out and use a dentists pick to get the mixture out of it and then seat the primer and so forth.

Brass is non ferrous and will not spark.
Old August 16, 2009, 10:03 PM   #17
Joe Rush

Quote:
I'm a machinist
If you are, then use a spent round, press the spent primer out, and make a button the same size as the promer and set in the primer hole. Cut your bottle opener shape, the press a bullet back in. I think your idea is to make it look like real live ammo.
Old August 16, 2009, 11:24 PM   #18
Gbro

I have needed to kill primers in the past and one time i had a kaboom, just scarred the crud out of me(209). I remember a post not to long ago about cooking off a primer. That should also work for you as long as you have a vent hole in the case big enough to release the gas without moving the bullet.

Good luck!
Old August 16, 2009, 11:34 PM   #19
Hook686

Why do you want dummy rounds ? Why not go to a local gun shop and see if you get someone to load a few bullets into a few cases for you ... no powder, no primer ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old August 17, 2009, 12:55 AM   #20
DigitalRX

The only shop around me that carries dummy Nagant rounds is the shop that my cousin committed suicide in. I refuse to go there... It's a personal thing, but I just can't handle it. I could order them, but I'm out of work (lay off, thankyou Nobama) and already have a VERY large amount of Nagant ammo that I can make dummy rounds out of... I'm unemployed... and need something that I don't have to put a lot of money towards... I found someone that will help me, though. so I'm good so far...

I want dummy rounds becase I'm doing minute mods with my brother who is a scout sniper in the USMC, to my nagant, and just want to make sure everything is working right.... I'm paranoid when it comes to my family and don't want it going BOOM when I'm slightly modifying...

Seagrams 7 sucks.
Old August 17, 2009, 07:27 AM   #21
QBall45

This whole concept is nuts!

I don't care if ya can safely drill a hole in the side of a live round and not have bad results. This behavior is simply irresponsible. And should not be done.

If you really must have a bottle opener that looks like a bullet...it would be better all everyone if you found someone that reloads the caliber you want and pay them to make you the "dummy rounds" that you are looking for.

I will not give advice to someone that wishes to engage in unsafe/unwise and seemingly foolish behavior.

That said. I would be willing to make a few "dummy rounds for ya in 233 rem. As I reload this caliber. Not sure if it would work for ya or not. I would have to figure up what my cost would be. (Of course you would pay shipping as well as my component cost)