The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 16, 2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Evad

Getting closer with my Savage 12 LRP

Hey guys! I just got my hands on a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor a couple weeks ago, and the project is coming along quite nicely. I went to Ken Farrell's website and ordered a 20 moa base, matched with a set of rings, guaranteed to have a tolerance twice as tight as if I were to order them separately. Pretty nice considering that Farrell has pretty strict tolerances to begin with. On monday I will have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP. I'm gonna be really proud of this rig when I get it together. The HS Precision stock is great, I've never had a rifle that has felt so solid. It's a heavy bugger, but I won't be carrying it for any long distances, so I think the weight is a plus. The target trigger is something I'm definitely going to have to get used to, considering it breaks between 6 and 10 oz, and the next most sensitive trigger I've been behind measured at about 2.5lbs. Overall, without having actually fired it yet, I can't find a single thing I don't like about it. All the mechanicals on it feel very positive and move smoothly. I'll get pics up when it's not naked. One question I wanted to put out there: Do you guys think I should bed the base to the action? This is my first long-range project, so the gun will definitely shoot better than me for a few years. I was just wondering if I'm even going to notice the nominal difference that bedding will make.
Old March 16, 2013, 05:01 PM   #2
cw308

I have a Rem. 700 LTR with a HS Percision Stock, they are rock solid. Has a aluminum block, I would first shoot it for awile before bedding the action, I did fill up the butt of the stock that is hollow with self leveling caulk from home depot Also added a cheek rest. When you mount your scope, Close your eyes rest your head on the stock, open your eyes if you can see through the scope without moving your cheek weld than your good to go. Most of the time you will need alittle rise for percision shooting. One more thing Torque the action screws to 65" lbs. Enjoy the rifle, Be safe Chris