The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 23, 2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Las_Vegas_Brit

NICS Fee is Waived

I acquired my CCW permit on 4/25/11..

If I am reading the change in the law right, Then I will be charged $25 for a NICS check every time I get a new gun thru an FFL dealer, on top of my Transfer fee...??

I guess my question is , Is there a way round this...

I do have to change my Address on my permit soon, I was wondering if, when i do so, Will the issue date change on my permit, thus allowing me to circumnavigate this fee.
Old October 23, 2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Revoliver

This is very state dependant, and I'm going to assume we're talking about Nevada.

The $25 NICS fee is waived if you have a CCW permit from April of this year (2012) by way of the NICS check not even being performed I believe. Transfer fees are not waived as that is the charge the FFL dealer charges to do the paperwork for you.

As to whether you changing your address on your CCW permit will automatically grant you a new issue date, I do not know.

Please do lokup the individual state laws regarding this though to be positive as I am only going of off (shoddy) memory and again, the assumption that this in reference to the state of Nevada.
Old October 23, 2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Master Blaster 2

I pay $10.00 transfer fee to my FFL for a gun transfer. I think it all depends on where you live and the dealer.
Old October 23, 2012, 04:17 PM   #4
sigcurious

A basic change of address submission only changes your information on their end, they do not issue a new card. You can pay to have a new card issued with the updated address information, however I do not think it changes the issued date. You could always call LVMPD and ask.
Old October 23, 2012, 04:42 PM   #5
laytonj1

These states that charge a NICS fee, is it because it's run at the state level verses federal level for them or is it just another way for some states to collect more money?
The last four states I've lived in did not have a NICS fee.

Jim
Old October 23, 2012, 04:46 PM   #6
sigcurious

It's run at the state level. So in theory the charge is to cover the costs.
Old October 23, 2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

I have never paid a charge for the NICS phone call in the Show Me State!
I didn't know that it was up to some states to conduct the check. I thought it was all federally operated.
Is that why in some states a CCW endorsement can be used instead of the phone call?
Also, is it true that a state can pass legislation to allow the use of a CCW endorsement instead of the check, or is that these states that do the check themselves?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 23, 2012, 10:27 PM   #8
sigcurious

NICS Info. The link shows what states use NICS and in some cases to what extent.

CCW exempting from a background check at the time of purchase is a federal exemption to the brady bill. The state's CCW process/permit has to conform to some standards for this to be allowed I do not know what the standards are though however.

Permit Exempt This link shows what states have exemptions for CCW holders.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:33 PM   #9
dogtown tom

Quote:
Cheapshooter I have never paid a charge for the NICS phone call in the Show Me State!
That's because MO uses the FBI NICS for all background checks. (free call, free service)

Quote:
I didn't know that it was up to some states to conduct the check. I thought it was all federally operated.
States may choose whether the FBI conducts the check or they do.

Quote:
Is that why in some states a CCW endorsement can be used instead of the phone call?
A firearms permit may be used as an exemption to the FBI NICS check if ATF has determined it to be a valid alternative to the NICS. Not all state CHL/CCW/etc qualify.

Quote:
Also, is it true that a state can pass legislation to allow the use of a CCW endorsement instead of the check, or is that these states that do the check themselves?
ATF makes the decision as to whether a particular states permit qualifies as an exemption.......not the state. For example: a "lifetime" CHL/CCW would not be acceptable......one of the requirements to be a valid alternative is a maximum five year period. Other requirements are a background check of the CHL holder equal to the FBI NICS standard.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 24, 2012, 08:59 AM   #10
Don P

Quote:
A firearms permit may be used as an exemption to the FBI NICS check if ATF has determined it to be a valid alternative to the NICS. Not all state CHL/CCW/etc qualify.
Absolutely correct. If a law enforcement agency is issuing the CCW permits then the ATF will consider waving the NICS check.
Here in FLA the Dept. of Agriculture issues the CCW permits so in the eyes of the ATF we do not qualify to have the NICS check waved.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.