The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 22, 2010, 05:24 PM   #1
WW2

Getting gun out of retention holster

So, I got my first retention holster for my Bersa Thunder 380. It is a Fobus and holds the gun quite well.

However, how do I draw from the holster? If I grab the gun and pull straight up the entire holster and my belt try to take my pants along with them. I know there is a method to properly draw from a retention holster, but haven't figured it out. If I use my weak hand to hold the holster down, the gun draws out nicely. Of course this is BAD technique as I then have the gun covering my weak arm as I draw.

So, how do I get the blasted thing out one-handed?
Old September 22, 2010, 10:08 PM   #2
fourrobert13

Quote:
So, how do I get the blasted thing out one-handed?
pull harder?

it would help to know exactly which fobus holster you have. if its a regular fobus, just pull straight up; it shouldn't be that hard. if its actually a holster with some type of retention device, then read the directions that came with the holster.

eta: try spraying the inside with some silicone lube and leave the gun in the holster for a while to "stretch it out" a bit.
Old September 23, 2010, 06:33 AM   #3
wizardtho

might wish to try a wider belt
if you are using a standard every day belt it may not holding the holster well enough to allow for a clean draw
Old September 23, 2010, 12:42 PM   #4
spacecoast

Wider/tighter/thicker belt to give the holster a better anchor point? Doing a few hundred in/out cycles might help it loosen up a bit also.
Old September 25, 2010, 07:39 PM   #5
charliechalmers

I have 2 Fobus Elite Concealed holsters, and for both of them you have to pull straight up in a quick motion. Try that with an unloaded gun and see if that works for you.
Old September 27, 2010, 05:11 PM   #6
WW2

Thanks for the Ideas

Thanks for all the replies.

It is just a simple Fobus; no retaining clips. It holds by friction. It has no instructions (just put the gun in and pull it out already!)

I have had the gun sitting in the holster for a week now so we'll see if that helps. There is no obvious way to loosen the retention tension so I guess I will have to work it in.

Also I will try tightening the belt (it is a 1 1/2" wide by 1/8" thick sturdy leather belt) as I was wearing it like I do without a holster.

Then if that doesn't help I will try the silicone spray. Hopefully that doesn't make the gun slippery causing me to drop it.

Thanks again
Old September 30, 2010, 12:57 PM   #7
dusterdude

it sounds like i have the same setup you have and with mine its basically a straight up pull.
Old September 30, 2010, 01:29 PM   #8
spacecoast

I just received a Fobus belt holster for my P95 and it was extremely tight, painfully so, and impossible to draw the gun one-handed. I wrote to Fobus and they suggested spreading the trigger guard area apart and using a hair dryer to heat that area to make it a bit more pliable. I wedged a piece of 45 colt brass between the raised areas that do the retention in the trigger guard, and then used the hair dryer (the brass helps with the heating as it gets quite hot to the touch). The holster is much better now, and works well for either my P95 and P345, which are amazingly similar guns aside from the grip area, which is outside the holster anyway.
Old October 1, 2010, 09:42 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Once you get the knack of the holster, practice drawing a thousand times. Do it smoothly each time. What you're doing is developing muscle memory reflex.
Old October 3, 2010, 10:19 AM   #10
chris in va

I really don't like Fobus holsters. They clamp on the gun so hard it prevents a decent draw.

You'd really be amazed with a good kydex holster. The material used is a lot harder than the plastic Fobus uses, and the gun literally clicks in and out like a switch.
Old October 3, 2010, 11:14 PM   #11
R1145

I have a Fobus for my Glock 19. Make sure you're getting some "snap" or "snatch" to your draw, rather than a simple, brute pull.

I try to break it down into two motions: Establishing proper grip with the gun in the holster, then drawing and presenting the weapon.
Old October 11, 2010, 06:30 PM   #12
WW2

Progress report

I let the gun sit in the holster for two solid weeks. Upon trying to draw again, still had the same problems.

So, I tried the belt tightening suggesstion. It helped a very little bit; not enough to call a success.

Then I tried the hair dryer suggestion. I heated the holster with the UNLOADED gun in it. I inserted a quarter between the trigger guard and the outside of the holster making sure that the quarter was not under the retention bump that goes in to the trigger guard when the gun is holstered. After letting the holster and gun cool to room temperature, I tried the draw again. Once again, it was a bit better, but not good enough.

Next I tried the "snatch and grab". Only if I pulled hard enough during the draw to have the momentum carry the gun nearly to my head was I able to consistantly pull from the holster. If I added a forward push as I snatched the gun it did help.

Finally, I worked the gun in and out of the holster a large number of times. I noticed that if I immediately tried to draw after several cycles of drawing, the gun came out well. If I let the holster "rest" for about 10 seconds it once again had a death grip on the gun.

Conclusion: All of the suggestions helped somewhat, I guess I just need to "wear it in"; or get a better retention type holster!

ps: Sorry, I did not try the Silicon spray as I think this will make the gun slippery and cause me to throw it at my target upon drawing!
Old October 11, 2010, 06:52 PM   #13
spacecoast

Using the large piece of brass, or putting the trigger guard "halfway" into the holster to spread the halves of the trigger guard area will help if you let it sit that way all day. Armor All is also very good for making the inside of the holster slicker. I'm extremely happy with the way my Fobus ended up holding both my P95 and especially the P345 (it's a P95 holster). Two for the price of one.
Old October 13, 2010, 08:46 PM   #14
chaser_2332

put the gun half way in so the holser stays spread more than when the gun is fullly in leave it a few days