The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 1, 2005, 06:41 PM   #1
roy reali

Bird-bow Hunters

I was looking through our hunting regulations. It is now quail season here for archery hunters. I know some use their bows to pheasant hunt, I do admire their sport. But quail hunting!

I realize that this hunting forum is dedicated to firearms. But has anyone here tried bow hunting for quail? Has anyone seen this sport? I have enough trouble hitting those little birds with a shotgun, I would love to see someone bring one down with a bow.
Old October 2, 2005, 06:49 AM   #2
stevelyn

I used to hunt ptarmigan and spruce chickens (grouse) often with my bow using blunts, judo points or bird loops on my arrows. Spruce chickens and ptarmigan are pretty stupid. They'll sit there and let ya shoot at them before they fly.
Tried the flu-flu arrow thing with results less than desired.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old October 2, 2005, 10:20 AM   #3
roy reali

Re:stevelyn

So you do not shoot them in flight? I still admire anyone that can hit a bird size target with an arrow. Have you ever went after pheasants with archery?
Old October 2, 2005, 12:57 PM   #4
yorec

Used to shoot sage chickens and pine hens in flight with judo points... Tried to shoot ducks a few times - no cigar, but I lost a lotta arrows so I quit. Quail and pheasants? Seen it done, never attempted it - not imaginative enough of my abilities I guess.
Old October 2, 2005, 07:49 PM   #5
roy reali

Re:yorec

Did you actually see a flying quail hit by an arrow? I don't mean to go on here, but I find this amazing. A quail is quick, small moving target.
Old October 3, 2005, 06:25 AM   #6
stevelyn

Quote:
So you don't shoot them in flight?
Nope. No need to. They'll just sit there and let you get off a shot or two.

Quote:
Have you ever went after pheasants with archery?
Unfortunately, no. I've never lived anywhere pheasants existed except for the ROK back in the day when I was a member of Uncle Sam's army. The Army and the Korean govt frown on folks carrying weaponry of any sort unless you're on a govt sanctioned mission much less go out and kill wildlife.
Too bad too. I've seen rice fattened roosters over there the size of small turkeys with 3 ft tail feathers.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old October 3, 2005, 11:06 AM   #7
yorec

Sorry Roy - I was generalizing too much and lumped pheasant and quail together since that was how they were originally mentioned... I have seen pheasants taken in mid air, but not quail. But I don't doubt the guy could do it if he tried - the pheasants dropped better than a third of the time if he was close enough and ready when they burst upward. Course he was one of the best archers I've ever seen...

There was also a show on the Outdoor channel - can't remember the guy's name, but he hunts with a recurve. Takes pheasants for his show fairly often.
Old October 3, 2005, 03:42 PM   #8
FrontSight

I saw a show years ago where someone tried, but never succeeded, looked REALLY, REALLY hard
Old October 6, 2005, 08:08 PM   #9
T-65

Here is a list of differant birds I HAVE TAKEN WITH A BOW, Sparrow,crow Partridge, Turkey's, Canadian geese on the stalk in an open feild, emu, and ostrich. I love to shoot anthing with a bow. It took me three days to get that goose stalking. It was the most challenging animal i have ever harvested. Use broadheads or zawikie grasshopers on birds. Feild points are'nt enough. If you want to shoot em on the fly make up some, Or by flu flu arrows they are meant to slow the arrow down with major drag on the flethings of your shaft.
Old October 6, 2005, 09:59 PM   #10
roy reali

Effective Range

What is the range of a flu flu arrow? I was thinking that shooting airborne targets with an arrow could be dangerous.