The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 23, 2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Hammer1

The mildot for varminters ?

Know this may not be the appropriate forum...

But figure you guys know as much about mildot reticles as any one.

For a shooter who switches between rifles, scopes, and reticles a lot... And whose primary target is prairie dogs...

Where does the mildot reticle fit into the picture ?

Some varminters tell me that the mildot will totally cover a target the size of a prairie dog and is unsuitable. Remember that many times we get only a partial view as when a head appears from the hole.

Some tell me that frequent mixing of scope types makes the mildot impractical because it really requires dedicated use to master and casual use of it leads to misses.

Again, this is not to discuss the overall merits of a mildot for the dedicated user but specific to the prairie dog shooter who will be mixing scope types frequently in the field.

Thoughts ?
Old February 23, 2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Jimro

Mildots are primarily used for ranging. Using mildots for holdovers and leading/wind correction is a secondary use.

If you are ranging with the reticle (or a laser range finder) and you dial in your scope for the range I don't see why you shouldn't have great success with a mildot scope.

If you are using the reticle for holdovers and wind correction then I would expect a lot of misses on things as small as a prairie poodle.

Jimro