The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a split B/P deer season? (inline separate from Traditionalist)
Yes 23 51.11%
No 22 48.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 7, 2013, 07:25 PM   #51
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Well according to this on going poll here. It looks like the traditionalist are not going to be shed of those inliner's anytime soon. And the inline shooters are perfectly happy to put up with those traditional rifle totter's and their shenanigan's. So too date it appears we are still at a near draw.

I know the B/P State Big Game hunts are pretty much dominated by us gentlemen. Has anyone encountered or know of any Ladies B/P clubs/league's that do big game hunt in their State?

(I wonder how our wives, girlfriends, and female hunting buddies feel about a split B/P season?

S/S
Old June 7, 2013, 08:48 PM   #52
ChasingWhitetail91

I'd like to see a separate season and I do niether at the moment. Maybe an earlier and slightly extended season for the traditional black powder rifles.
Old June 7, 2013, 09:15 PM   #53
Lucas McCain

The Minnesota Deer Hunters Assoc. has quite a few female members that black powder hunt. In our deer camp there are 2 wives who hunt the muzzle loader season always. They do hunt rifle season for a couple days, but that season is just 9 days, B/P is 2 weeks. Babysitters and vacation time is easier to get so they hunt with the muzzle loader and deer camp is taken over by the ladies. Both hunt with T/C 50 cal. Hawkens.
Old June 7, 2013, 10:46 PM   #54
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Lucas McCain. Well sir. I can see your deer camp has no need for a bull cook. I got a place East of you a little. 34 miles North of Virginia on HWY 53 & 22. No ladies. Just the son and I. Kid can barbeque pretty good but little knowledge of how to use the kitchen stove. And that is where my expertise comes in handy. BTW. What's the talley of traditional verses inlines usage over by you on the West side of this State?

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; June 8, 2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Speling of Virgina.
Old June 8, 2013, 06:12 AM   #55
Captchee

LOL sure shot ,
But I see it alittle differently in that the poll says even more . It me it shows that the traditional approach hasn’t been as completely taken over an dominated by the modern movement as we are lead to believe.
Also if we are to accept what many of these polls show , is that there should be an equally , likely market for the traditional style guns . Yet if you listen to some manufactures , that’s not the case .
IMO , that’s mainly because those manufactures have failed to keep their product line up to par with what the market is asking for ..

One thing that I have often wanted to see with the larger Official polling data , is what % of those participating in the polling , actually hunt with muzzleloaders of either type.
Now why would that be something to look at .
Well because IMO , IF we are to accept that the numbers of hunters actually using muzzleloaders or muzzle loading rifles are using Modern inlines. Then would it not also be true that the traditional hunters answering these polls , would be far less in number .
If so , then who is actually accounting for the balanced out polling ?

As to the female question . In our local 2 clubs I would say that the female participation runs a little less then 50% of the shooters . Of that % , I would say about 50% of those actually hunt .
There are 5 guys I normally hunt with . Of those 5 , all but one have wives that hunt . But even that one shoots all the time ..
What they hunt with is either a modern center fire or a traditional muzzleloader .
Now I would expect that the other side of the coin would be true if we were to look at modern inline shooters who’s wives also shoot . So its kinda a give an take
Old June 8, 2013, 12:57 PM   #56
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Remember to keep checking on the poll. Although there may not be a recent posting to alert you. The poll will keep on changing as folks vote.

S/S
Old June 8, 2013, 04:37 PM   #57
Lucas McCain

Those of us who started muzzle loader hunting back in day one and a few years later use traditional rifles the young guys who started 12-15 years ago are shooting in-lines and talking 200 yard capability but have yet to hit one and most kills are with in 75 yards. There are more in-lines than traditional
Old June 8, 2013, 07:18 PM   #58
Sure Shot Mc Gee

You know you brought up an interesting point Lucas McCain. Those of us who started out years ago. Done so with traditional rifles cradled in our arms. Because Tony Knight was not heard from yet. You also mentioned. Those who recently within 10-15 years got the urge to participate in our B/P sport. Have made their choice to sling an inline over their shoulder. I've noticed that myself.

I must be the only traditional shooter in 3 Sq, miles of where I hunt. Otherwise my area is predominantly inline shooters. I wouldn't mine having one of those new improved inline rifles if its manufacture somehow could design one with a cocking hammer mounted off the the right rear side of its barrel. I may even buy two. One for weekdays and the other for weekends and holidays._

S/S