The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 5, 2011, 08:17 PM   #1
TxFlyFish

How many commercial versions of M9 are there?

Supposedly military M9s can only be sold to govt. So how many different versions are there of civilian m9? On top of my head I know of the special green box editions with holsters, 25th year commemorative, commemorative of the various mil branches, and the very rare LE and army match units (which are real M9 with civilian serial numbers)

Any other ones?
Old December 6, 2011, 08:22 AM   #2
DBLAction454

Beretta makes both the M9 and the 92FS

both can be had by civilians
Old December 6, 2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Rugerismisticness

All of them can be owned
Old December 6, 2011, 03:51 PM   #4
TailGator

I think I hear Shipwreck coming.
Old December 6, 2011, 04:03 PM   #5
TxFlyFish

Well the M9 is only contracted to govt only and there is no way to legally acquire one straight of the assembly with the govt serial. There are however, real M9 that are assigned commercial serial numbers assigned to army marksmanship teams and very few LE examples that can be had in civvy hands...these are M9s pulled straight from govt assembly lines
Old December 7, 2011, 10:23 AM   #6
RsqVet

I would add GO serial number M9's though obviously these are rarely seen for sale. GO serial guns are for general officers and can be purchased and kept by any flag rank officer upon retirement.
Old December 7, 2011, 02:41 PM   #7
dsk

I have on two occasions seen real military M9's for sale on Gunbroker with a standard military serial number. I was also once presented with one for sale by somebody. In all cases it's important to have some sort of paperwork or provenance assuring that the pistol in question was legally sold by the government. They almost never are, so if you see one be suspicious.

As for the commercial M9s, there are usually ways to tell aside from the serial number that they're commercial production and not military. The first M9 Special Editions had military drawing numbers on some of the small parts, but also a commercial "C" as well. From what I've noticed the current M9 commercials don't have any drawing numbers on the parts and are simply commercial 92FS pistols with military rollmarks, straight dust cover, and bar-dot sights.
Old December 7, 2011, 07:17 PM   #8
TxFlyFish

Yea totally agree I would NOT buy a military serial M9 unless they have detailed paperworks and even still I would feel uneasy