The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 21, 2010, 02:06 PM   #1
LinuxHack3r

Stock AR handguard rails?

I was wondering how effective it would be to add rails such as this to the handguard of an AR?

http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/103

One thing I am wondering about is if the holes on the handguard are "plugged", will that not cause more heat to build up? Is this of concern? Mainly all I want is the ability to mount a Surefire light, and so far I think this is what I've decided on:

The above rail, added to the top of the handguard.
With something like this:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR9691-7.html
to take the rail to the rightward 45 degree angle, hopefully out of the way of the sighting plain. Then from there I would either get a light mount for a 1" Surefire or get a dedicated Surefire that comes with the pressure switch. What do you all think?

1) Is the rail on the handguard durable and made to last?
2) Would heat buildup be something to consider?
3) What is probably the best: handguard rail, 45 degree adapter, and 1" flashlight mount?
Old November 23, 2010, 12:57 AM   #2
LinuxHack3r

Any experiences at all with these rails? Perhaps this would fit better in the Rifle forum?
Old November 23, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3
vostracker

rails

Linux: We used rails similar to what your looking at on our AR's to mount lights when I was a Narc. They held up great to being banged around and from the recoil of the rifle.

No need to worry about heat. If it gets hot the hole gun will be hot from some extreme firing. The holes are pluged by the attaching screws and nuts.

You might look for a plain flat mount rail. You'll find when its mounted on either the left or right side of the handguard, it'll be out or the way of the sight. Hope this helped.
Old November 23, 2010, 10:55 AM   #4
LinuxHack3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by vostracker View Post
Linux: We used rails similar to what your looking at on our AR's to mount lights when I was a Narc. They held up great to being banged around and from the recoil of the rifle.

No need to worry about heat. If it gets hot the hole gun will be hot from some extreme firing. The holes are pluged by the attaching screws and nuts.

You might look for a plain flat mount rail. You'll find when its mounted on either the left or right side of the handguard, it'll be out or the way of the sight. Hope this helped.
What exactly do you mean by plain flat mount rail?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old November 23, 2010, 01:34 PM   #5
vostracker

rail

Linux: I'm sorry, the flat mount I was talking about is like the one you posted by magpul. I didnt look at that website before I answered. I just saw the one from Cheaperthandirt.
Old November 23, 2010, 03:13 PM   #6
LinuxHack3r

Well what I'm planning on doing is adding the rail, like the one from Magpul, and then a "mount" that will bring the light to the right a little bit. How did you all do it "professionally"? I imagine the light would be in the way if you mounted it directly on top of the handguard? So I want it to be mounted slightly to the left or right, preferably the right...

Old November 23, 2010, 04:06 PM   #7
vostracker

rail

linux; Ours were mounted offset to one side or the other, depending on if they were lefties or right handed shooters and they wanted to use a finger or thumb to activate their light. It's really a simple operation. Once you find the spot you want the mount/light to be, tape the mount, mark the screw holes, drill through the handguard and attach mount. Be sure to use Loctite on the nuts to keep them tight. Hope this helps.
Old November 23, 2010, 04:11 PM   #8
LinuxHack3r

Oh I understand now...I was and still am under the impression that the rails like shown from Magpul can also be mounted on the "vent holes" already in the handguard? This is what I was wanting, frankly I want to keep the drill away from the beauty. That is why I linked to the 45 degree offset peice, because I'm theorizing about mounting the rail on the 12 O' Clock position, taking the angle peice to the right, and hopefully mounting the light at about the 1:5 O' Clock position.

Old November 23, 2010, 04:17 PM   #9
vostracker

I may be wrong, but i'm not sure the mount will attach at the vent holes. The holes may be too large. I could be wrong. I need to look at mine.
Old November 23, 2010, 04:20 PM   #10
LinuxHack3r

And this is also why I was concerned about "clogging" the vent holes and causing an increase of heat around the barrel. I would have figured that there would have been more experience with these rails on a forum like this...

Old November 23, 2010, 04:39 PM   #11
vostracker

All the ones Ive seen in the past were mounted on the handguard in the 11-1 o'clock position or the 5 and 7 positon at the bottom. With it attached to the handguard correctly, it is very professional looking. The mounting screws are small and unobtrusive.

I just finished building myself another KISS AR awhile back and will be attaching a mount to my handgards as I have with others I built in the past. Maybe I can get to it and get you some pics of the finished setup.

Last edited by vostracker; November 23, 2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added further info.
Old November 23, 2010, 08:06 PM   #12
LinuxHack3r

Well if it is possible I still like the idea of mounting the rail to the vent holes. Perhaps I'll just shell out the bucks and see for myself.

Old November 23, 2010, 09:38 PM   #13
vostracker

Good luck. If you get it to work, let us see some pic's.