The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2009, 11:37 AM   #1
fyimo

need 35 Whelen 200 grain loads

I bought a Remington CDL in 35 Whelen and yesterday I shot it for the first time with some reloads with a 225 grain Nosler Accubond and the rifle shot well with these loads. According to the manual they should have been traveling just under 2700 FPS.

Now I want to load some Hornaday 200 Grain interlock SP and the only data I can find will push these around 2600 FPS which to me makes no sense as I was hoping for closer to 2750 FPS. I plan on using IMR 4064 or IMR 3031 powder and was looking for a good load based on these powders.

I have several reloading manuals but loads for the 35 Whelen aren't very plentiful.

Thanks in advance
Old November 6, 2009, 12:45 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Depends on the gun the testing was done in. If a company uses a pressure test barrel, the firing is usually in a 24" barrel which is made with a SAAMI minimum dimension chamber and a tightly dimensioned bore. That creates the highest pressure and velocity a load will produce. If the gun was an actual sporting arm, however, the pressures and velocities produced are typically lower.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 6, 2009, 02:15 PM   #3
GeauxTide

I've gotten 2810 with 200 Hornadys' in my 338-06
Old November 6, 2009, 03:34 PM   #4
fyimo

I found a load finally and it's suppose to go 2800FPS using IMR 3031 powder at 57.4 grains.
Old November 6, 2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

That's a compressed load. QuickLOAD shows it will work, though it is a maximum pressure load, so you need to start with more like 52 or 53 grains and run one set of rounds up to that number in .5 grains steps, watching for pressure signs. Personally, I value accuracy over absolute maximum velocity, so I'd be working up in .3 grains steps, using with Dan Newberry's round robin method to identify the best accuracy load. You might want to check out his Optimum Charge Weight load site?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 6, 2009, 09:12 PM   #6
fyimo

Thanks Unclenick and that's the plan. I like you want accuracy over max speed as it's accuray that is needed. I will start to reload in graduated steps tomorrow and hopefully get to the range next week after the weekend guys leave