The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 15, 2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Who makes the smallest SAA-like revolver?

The Ruger Single Six is somewhat scaled-down (except for the grip frame.) The Ruger Bearcat is even smaller.

I know North American Arms makes a couple of very small revolvers, but those have spur triggers with no trigger guard. I'm curious to know if anyone makes a 5- or 6-shot .22 caliber revolver complete with trigger guard that's smaller than the Bearcat. What's out there that I'm overlooking?
Old April 15, 2013, 10:01 PM   #2
TDodge7

Heritage arms sells the rough rider in various lengths, the 3.75" barrel birds head grip model is pretty small, but I don't know if I'd call it a mini-revolver or anything. I believe you can get it in a 9 shot cylinder now as well as the 6.

Old April 15, 2013, 11:29 PM   #3
newfrontier45

The Bearcat is probably the smallest capable of being used as something other than a bellygun but it's based on the Remington pocket guns, not Colt.

Then there is the Cimarron Model P Junior and equivalent sixguns from Uberti. A Single Six sized sixgun chambered in .38Spl and .41Colt.
Old April 16, 2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Bob Wright

Here is my Uberti Stallion .22. It's a reduced scale SA, including the grip.

[IMG][/IMG]

As to accuracy:

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm satisified with this little gun.

Bob Wright
Old April 16, 2013, 05:16 PM   #5
RJay

I believe the Bearcat is about the smallest frame , Colt lookalike, single action that is made.
Old April 16, 2013, 05:39 PM   #6
newfrontier45

Except that the Bearcat is not a Colt look-alike. It's based on the Remington pocket model.

Old April 16, 2013, 05:39 PM   #7
Jim Watson

And it's more like a Remington, anyhow.

Agree with newfrontier, how would you hold on to anything smaller?

There was a Rossi knockoff of the Ladysmith Model M, but that was double action.
Old April 16, 2013, 07:44 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

Freedom Arms...

The western US based gun company Freedom Arms, which is widely known for the .454Casull hunting round & stainless SA wheelgun put out a cool single action only(SAO) stainless revolver called the Dep US Marshal many years ago.

It had a 3/3.5" barrel and a 5/6 round cylinder. It was compact but fired .44magnum loads & the potent .454/.45LC if I recall.

www.freedomarms.com
Old April 16, 2013, 09:07 PM   #9
Gdawgs

Oooh, I really like the looks of that Heritage with the birds head. Does anyone have one of those?? How do they shoot?
Old April 20, 2013, 10:50 PM   #10
Webleymkv

Quote:
I'm curious to know if anyone makes a 5- or 6-shot .22 caliber revolver complete with trigger guard that's smaller than the Bearcat.
I doubt you'd be able to go much smaller than a Bearcat without going to a spur trigger or a very ungainly looking trigger guard because otherwise you'd have a difficult time fitting a normal sized index finger inside the guard.
Old April 21, 2013, 08:01 AM   #11
bedbugbilly

I'm a little confused on the thoughts that the Bearcat is based on the Remington Pocket? My vintage Super Bearcat resembles a scaled down Colt SAA more than anything else. It certainly doesn't have a spur trigger nor an octagon barrel or a loading lever. My Bearcat holds six, has a spring ejector and cylinder removes the same way as a SAA. Size wise . . . the Bearcat is a little bigger perhaps but in design and looks?

I have a vintage Super Bearcat as well as a Heritage RR with a 4 3/4" barrel (and other CF SAAs as well). The Bearcat is scaled down and smaller than the RR. Mine is an easy carry and is fairly accurate. I wouldn't say that it would be ideal for someone with large hands but for me, it works fine and the ladies that have shot it seem to enjoy the size of it. The RR is a little bit larger and I love mine - accurate and for the price, is a great deal - I've had no problems with it. If you're looking for something small, you really need to handle different SAA like the Bearcat, RR, Single Six, etc. and see which fits and feels the best for you.

I like the looks of the Heritage RR with the 3 1/2" barrel and birdshead grips but some that have them say they aren't that accurate. All depends on what you are going to use it for and distances you are going to be shooting. I've read a number of threads from those that have the RR with the 6 1/2" barrels who really like them and have no problems it taking squirrels with them.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 21, 2013, 10:01 AM   #12
newfrontier45

The Bearcat has an all one piece grip frame and receiver like the Remington. The shape of the grip frame and panels is pure Remington. The shape of the top strap is like the Remington. The way the triggerguard attaches is just like the Remington. Put a full triggerguard and a round barrel with ejector on the Remington and you've got a Bearcat. The lockwork is pure Old Model, even the New Bearcat still retains a half cock notch. I do believe there is a reference in "Ruger and his Guns" to the Bearcat being inspired by the Remington pocket. The only Colt that small was the 1849/1862 Police/Pocket Navy frame size but they were open tops.
Old April 21, 2013, 10:53 AM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I'm not interested in the action being "pure" SAA-like. I'm asking if there are any mini-revolvers of the same general shape that have a full trigger guard. Something akin to the North American Arms mini revolvers, but with a guard rather than the exposed spur trigger.

Yes, I know the trigger guard would have to be disproportionately large, but that's my question, nonetheless. If Bond Derriger can do it for their mini-derringers, why hasn't someone done it for mini-revolvers?

Old April 21, 2013, 12:09 PM   #14
Microgunner

I own this Cimarron Arms Lightning .22lr.
It's a reduced size SAA styled revolver with bird's head grips.
It's quite a good looking revolver as well.

Old April 21, 2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microgunner
I own this Cimarron Arms Lightning .22lr.
It's a reduced size SAA styled revolver with bird's head grips.
Isn't that the same basic frame size as the Ruger Single Six and the Heritage Arms .22 "cowboy" revolvers?
Old April 21, 2013, 04:20 PM   #16
newfrontier45

They're similar in size to the Single Six but also available in .38Spl and .41Colt.
Old April 22, 2013, 08:21 PM   #17
Bob Wright

While the Uberti's cylinder frame is roughly the size of a Ruger Single Six, it does not have the flat top strap of the Ruger. And the grip straps are smaller than the Ruger's grip frame.

Dimensionally there's not too much difference, but in hand the Uberti feels much more dimunitive.

Bob Wright
Old April 23, 2013, 11:26 AM   #18
newfrontier45

What about cylinder diameter? It would be interesting to see if the Uberti has a larger cylinder. I've got an old Virginian .22 convertible but never measured them. I would 'assume' that the current Stallion is built to the same dimensions.
Old April 23, 2013, 11:44 AM   #19
kenny g

the "shopkeeper"

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger...r/DSC07459.JPG
Old April 23, 2013, 12:12 PM   #20
22-rimfire

Been reading this thread with interest. Don't have a lot to contribute since I am not a 22 single action revolver fan and as a result really don't know the dimensions other than the Bearcat is "smaller" than the Single Six. The Heritage 22's have little interest for me. I have considered buying one of the NAA mini revolvers more than a couple times however. Why? Just for the heck of it mostly...

Haven't heard of the Ruger Shopkeeper. That is definitely an interesting little SA.
Old April 23, 2013, 01:05 PM   #21
Bob Wright

If I may ask, if you're looking for a very small single action revovler, what's the importance of a trigger guard bow?

And, why the objection to the spur trigger?

Bob Wright
Old April 23, 2013, 02:24 PM   #22
Magnum Wheel Man

the gun just below the bare blue peg, is a cartridge conversion gun, that shoots 32 S&W... that's pretty tiny... the top 2 guns are single sixes in 32 H&R Mag, for comparison...

this is a close up pic of the gun... it still looks proportionate even though it's much smaller than the "normal" single actions in the 1st picture...

Old April 23, 2013, 04:55 PM   #23
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright
If I may ask, if you're looking for a very small single action revovler, what's the importance of a trigger guard bow?

And, why the objection to the spur trigger?
I'm just not comfortable with the exposed, spur trigger.
Old April 23, 2013, 08:08 PM   #24
Bob Wright

Aguila Blanca:
Quote:
I'm just not comfortable with the exposed, spur trigger.
Bear in mind that the trigger is protected on both sides by the frame extensions and never protrudes clear of the spur guard when cocked. The very close fit of the trigger in the spur prevents any foreign matter clogging the trigger. And the spur acts as a trigger stop, and the trigger is no more exposed than with a bow type trigger guard.

I believe if you were to handle a Remington Pocket Model as NewFrontier 45 pictured, you might change your mind.

Bob Wright
Old April 24, 2013, 12:07 AM   #25
ZVP

The upcoming Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper ought to fill your bill. It's a special order item from LANSKIES.
ZVP
Closed Thread