The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 24, 2011, 11:36 AM   #76
pgdion

Nice post, over 40 and the musts are back exercises, stretching, and cardio, cardio, cardio (got to keep that heart happy!). And the exercise helps lower the stress and the lower stress helps the shooting. My heart guy also says every man over 40 should be taking an aspirin a day but check with your doc on that one of course.
I've been doing back exercises since hurting my back pretty bad about 2 years ago. Took 18 months (with 4 months of PT) to get 'better'. I'd say I'm at about 90% of where I used to be with it. Started walking every day over lunch for the heart, hoping I can start running again. Just regular moderate exercise and movement is 80% of the staying healthy game. Once in a while my wife does the aerobics stuff ... I always join in ... good for the muscles, stretching, and heart. and again, translates into good outings at the range and being better fit for self defense.

Kraigwy ... loved the posts!
hulley ... thanks for the warning, going to see Def Leppard in 2 days, I'll try to remember my age!
Old August 24, 2011, 02:21 PM   #77
Daugherty16

Never thought of myself as old...

until a couple years ago, when i noticed (must have had my reading glasses on at the time) wrinkles around my eyes, and gray hair where (i swear) just the day before it had been black. Then i turned 50 and the colonoscopy proved once and for all that, indeed, time was catching up with me.

I took for granted that a youth of competitive running and extreme sports like MLeake mentioned had positioned me to never get old. Probably thought an avalanche would take me before i turned 30. Anyhow, here i am at 50. A few pounds too heavy, sore knees that are not going away, and a perennial lower back pain. The real surprise is how fast it happened.

I have no illusions that i'm physically as tough as i once was, even though i'd like to think i still look formidable. The world has also changed around me. The danger of a middle aged man like me is, in a word, experience. Think i'm going toe-to-toe with a young thug and playing by some set of rules? Nope.

Clint Eastwood had it right, when he said "Ever notice how sometimes you run into someone you just shouldn't have fu**ed with? That's me". Actually, from reading all these great and funny posts, that's us.

It's always a pleasure to roam these forums.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.