The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 14, 2010, 12:16 PM   #101
Fat Moe

self defense back in college days

When I was 19 or 20 years old in my first off campus college apartment I had legs from coffee tables with rusty nails through them hidden around the place at strategic locations.

Then I got "Old Betsy" my first 12 gauge shotgun whose pump action was missing the little allen screw so it was held back with duct tape.

But those chair legs with the rusty nails through them could've done some serious damage!
Old April 16, 2010, 03:59 PM   #102
kodiakbeer

I've got a half dozen antique swords around the house, but if you've ever tried to swing a sword in the house well, there isn't enough room, and worse, your wife will yell at you - I know...

Still, if my assailant had a knife, I've got a fairly short Cossack Shashka that might make things sporting.

Nah, I'm grabbing the shotgun.
Old April 19, 2010, 05:20 AM   #103
BlackFeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakbeer
I've got a half dozen antique swords around the house, but if you've ever tried to swing a sword in the house well, there isn't enough room
Depends on the sword and ceiling. I don't have a problem with clearance in my house. It comes close but I was taught how to fight indoors. I am actually rather good with a spear.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old April 21, 2010, 11:06 PM   #104
macruadhi

I've several swords, two bo, and three fighting canes should the firearms fail. And if that's not enough, they have to traverse the minefield known as "what toys my daughter left in the floor the night before".
Old April 22, 2010, 04:10 PM   #105
markj

My favorite lead filled number nine snow shoe......

Rubber hose filled with buckshot? used to hear about these.
Old April 22, 2010, 07:07 PM   #106
BGutzman

How about unleasing my ticked off 5 ft 6 in wife who hates to be woke up to early let alone by a intruder, might be worse than my 12 ga.
Old April 22, 2010, 10:24 PM   #107
GM1967

Most of my guns are unloaded and locked up. Can't have a dog where I live, which sucks.

I have a S&W 4516 in my nightstand. It has an empty mag in it, and a loaded mag in the drawer. It would take me a few seconds to dump the mag, insert the loaded one and rack the slide.

Since the apartment is fairly small, and anyone who knew this apartment complex could get to the master bedroom in seconds if they were determined, I have other weapons I could use as a back up.

My Cold Steel warhammer is on my side of the bed next to the nightstand.

Also have a few walking sticks and a Paul Chen practical katana in the bedroom handy. The katana will almost certainly cut off a man's arm or head with a decent swing. In the hallway it would probably have to be used to thrust due to tight quarters. Good luck grabbing it out of my hands -- you'd lose a lot of fingers.

I also have a couple knives -- SOG Tigershark, Cold Steel SRK, Cold Steel kukri machete -- but don't keep them immediately accessible, they are in the closet.

I have a Streamlight on my nightstand (being able to produce light immediately even in a power failure is always a good thing). It's not quite as bright as my Surefire, but it does have 500 times the battery life (500 hours as opposed to 1 hour)

I'm actually surprised at some people on this thread making derisive comments about owning swords and other melee weapons. If someone suggested you were wrong for owning a collection of guns, how would you feel? Some people also like to collect other weapons as well.
Old April 22, 2010, 10:52 PM   #108
Huntergirl

Bearspray.....bring a man to his knees.
Old April 23, 2010, 02:03 PM   #109
BlackFeather

@GM1967: I like you, not only do you know what you are talking about, but you have a cold steel warhammer by your bed... lol

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old April 25, 2010, 02:29 PM   #110
raimius

GM, why do you keep an empty mag in a pistol?
Old April 30, 2010, 06:35 PM   #111
Delaware_Dan

It's suprising to read this many people sleep with guns under their pillows, rather than on the nightstand, or bedside table.

We got a Pit/Lab mix, and thats about it, the "house gun" is loaded on the bedside table or within reach if in the living room.
Old April 30, 2010, 07:30 PM   #112
R1145

Consider the big picture

Don't keep or use anything that's illegal in your jurisdiction. In Kalifornia, certain exotic weapons such as switchblades and ninja stars are prohibited, and equally effective (and fully legal) options are available.
Old May 5, 2010, 08:14 AM   #113
booker_t

In the right hands, a sword, battle axe or tomahawk is fearsome. Can easily lop off a limb.

2009: Student Defends Home, Slays Intruder with Sword:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/200...pon-pontolillo

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_289319.html