The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 17, 2015, 10:25 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

threads on carbines for home defense started me looking... ran across the Chiappa

M-1 9mm carbine... curious if anyone has shot or owns one of these... I love my M-1 Carbine in 30 caliber... are these close enough for me to love one in 9mm ???

here is one on gun Broker for those unfamiliar...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=495354363

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-R...=4&mfg=1000065

a little checking shows them available with wood or plastic furniture...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; July 17, 2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old July 17, 2015, 01:02 PM   #2
taylorce1

I've been looking at one to go with my .30 Carbine because ammunition is a little cheaper and easier to come by. However, Bud's runs about $80 cheaper for a similar carbine.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...%2B1+9mm+18%22
Old July 18, 2015, 04:01 AM   #3
Darker Loaf

They seem poorly built: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzUKw5k-Iew

They are very hard to disassemble without hurting them, apparently.
Old July 18, 2015, 06:04 PM   #4
taylorce1

Another.whining youtuber, complaining about.The quality of a sub $450 firearm. LMAO because the guy wants the same quality as an original M1 carbine at a fraction of the cost. Shortcuts are going to be taken on cheap firearms why complain about it.

He probably would of scratched his trigger guard if it had a slot for a screw driver on his mag release anyway. Besides why does he need to field strip it to clean it every time? After initial cleaning and lube I could probably do.The majority of the cleaning needed without ever taking it apart with a simple Otis kit and locking the bolt to.The rear.

I could care less about how much of a PITA it is to field strip I'm not taking it to combat. I'm more interested in how well it functions and shoots. Plus what kind of ammo does it like, will it feed cast bullets as well as it does jacketed .
Old July 18, 2015, 08:05 PM   #5
Darker Loaf

If you want a gun like that, so be it. Taofeldermaus seems like a decent youtube personality; one without pretension. If you don't trust him on principle, that is fine. It is certainly up to you.
Old July 19, 2015, 12:30 PM   #6
samfried

I got the kel tec sub 2000 .40 for fun but plan on keeping it for HD. I know lots of people don't like that idea but it makes sense to me.
Old July 19, 2015, 09:22 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

I haven't seen any good reviews of them. CHiappa has some nice firearms and some real duds. I was looking at their 22lr M9 for a range gun, but everywhere I looked there seemed to be reports of it firing out of battery. I am hoping someone like the new Inland or Rock-O-La companies expand to other calibers.
Old July 19, 2015, 11:17 PM   #8
ronl

A decent HD rifle would be one of the TGI AMD-65's, and I've seen them for around $470. Ballistics would be comparable to the M1 carbine, but you'd get a little better terminal performance from the hp bullets, as compared to the rn .30's. Plus you have a folding stock, which makes the package much more compact. You put a good green laser on it and it becomes a potent and easy to use HD rifle. The TGI rifles have the original 12.5" barrels on them with the extension and original AMD muzzle brakes, which are pretty effective, but rather noisy. It also is much more accurate than you might expect at 1-200 yds. Only things I did not like were the grips and the exposed gas tube, which were easy fixes. I put a Magpul grip up front and a Hogue in the rear. I used an AK gas tube I had lying around, cut it to the desired length, opened up the end to fit, painted it and now I am very satisfied with it.
Old July 21, 2015, 03:07 AM   #9
taylorce1

roni, there are plenty of hollow point bullets being loaded in the .30 carbine. It isn't limited to just fmj bullets. I'm really not in need of the 9mm version as I already.have the M1 carbine, and if opportunity presents will pick up.another.
Old July 21, 2015, 05:12 PM   #10
ronl

AMD-65 is an AK in 762x39, not 9mm. The TGI rifles have original Hungarian receivers and 12.5"barrels, which are better than the American rifles for the most part.
Old July 23, 2015, 01:27 AM   #11
kcub

I had a bad experience with a Chiappa western model 92 knockoff in 44 mag. Tubular magazine would back out under recoil. They would not send parts for repair, the gun had to return to Italy for repair. 6 months later it came back with the same exact issue.

Too bad, it was a really beautiful gun with knockout wood, but a faulty design to say the least and an unacceptably poor support policy.
Old July 24, 2015, 06:21 PM   #12
Ibmikey

I purchased a Chippia Mod 1892 SRC in 44-40, shot many a cowboy match with it to take the pressure off of my Winchesters. I checked out a AR upper in .22 lr and although moderately priced it did not perform well enough to even consider purchase. Bought one of thier 1911 .22 lr pistols which has not fired two rounds without malfunction, before and after a visit for warranty work. I think it was previously posted that they make some good, some bad, i have seen evidence of both. I have a Colt 6450 9mm Carbine and although is quite limitred in uses is a lot of fun to punch tin cans and dirt clods full of holes. The Colt may be beyond budget but it will go bang whenever asked and that is very important to me.
Old July 25, 2015, 12:02 PM   #13
COSteve

While I have a GI '43 NPM M1 Carbine, it's too valuable to shoot anymore so I a few years ago I got an Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine as a shooter so that I didn't have to worry about wearing out a piece of history. I've very please with mine and handload 110grn loads in FMJ, plated, and SP.

As a HD weapon, I believe it's superior to the AR platform as it's smaller, more compact, quieter, and produces considerably less muzzle flash. Further, as a short range HD weapon where a long shot might be 25 feet, I believe the 30 cal, 110grn bullet is superior to the 22 cal, 55grn bullet. My criteria includes likelyhood of staying within the structure too.

The M1 Carbine has the advantage of a smaller bulk that many small women find easier to handle as well as a lower muzzle flash and lower report make it easier for them to feel comfortable with it. We teach basic firearms training at our range and I find that many new female students feel much more comfortable transitioning from 22lr to my M1 Carbine than to my AR middy even though they weigh the same.

While my 5'0" wife can comfortably shoot both my M1 Carbine and AR middy, she prefers the carbine by a wide margin when shooting.
Old July 25, 2015, 05:46 PM   #14
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSteve
I believe the 30 cal, 110grn bullet is superior to the 22 cal, 55grn bullet. My criteria includes likelyhood of staying within the structure too.
It's well-documented that a lighter, faster hollow-point .223 bullet will fragment faster and penetrate walls less than a heavier, slower hollow-point 30 caliber bullet like the M1 carbine fires.

As for effectiveness, a .223 makes about 20% more muzzle energy out of a 16" barrel than a .30 Carbine does.

So while I agree with you that the M1 carbine has some advantages over the AR-15 for home defense, the AR-15 has it beat when it comes to terminal effectiveness and less wall penetration.
Old July 25, 2015, 06:24 PM   #15
amd6547

I love the little M1 carbine, and like the 30 carbine round very much. I would expect more wall penetration than a 5.56 loaded with proper fragmenting ammo.

I owned several different 9mm carbines over the years, and believe in the concept. The best was a semi auto Uzi.

But, I have always loved the M1 carbine. When the CMP sold M1 carbines, I sold my Uzi and drove to North Store, where I had the pleasure of picking mine out of two racks full.

Don't get me wrong...I like the AR, and also the AK (in 5.45)...but nothing quite handles like the M1 carbine. It is so light and short, and the stock just points like a finger for me, like a quick sporting gun. The sights are great. The round really performs, and soft points or the new Hornady critical defense load make it great choice for SD...plus, a mag of FMJ gives the ability to perforate things that need perforating.
I like the 9mm carbine concept, but if I'm shooting an M1 carbine for fun and self defense, I want it to be 30 carbine.
Old July 26, 2015, 07:22 AM   #16
stubbicatt

I examined one at the local Big 5 sporting good store. I would not purchase one. Very shoddy. I don't care if it is $450, or even $100, it was not a good firearm.
Old July 28, 2015, 01:48 AM   #17
Brotherbadger

I'd stay away from Chiappa. While they do occasionally make a good gun, the vast majority I've seen/handled are junk. Their QC is atrocious, even for lower priced firearms.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old July 28, 2015, 08:00 PM   #18
SVO

Chiappa doesn't have the best reputation for quality. If you are wanting to go inexpensive, this may be the time to go with a Hi-Point carbine.
Old July 28, 2015, 09:50 PM   #19
COSteve

Quote:
It's well-documented that a lighter, faster hollow-point .223 bullet will fragment faster and penetrate walls less than a heavier, slower hollow-point 30 caliber bullet like the M1 carbine fires.

As for effectiveness, a .223 makes about 20% more muzzle energy out of a 16" barrel than a .30 Carbine does.

So while I agree with you that the M1 carbine has some advantages over the AR-15 for home defense, the AR-15 has it beat when it comes to terminal effectiveness and less wall penetration.
Interesting, thanks for the information. I also load Rainier plated 110grn 30 Carbine bullets and they are made with an extremely soft core so they expand much like a plain lead bullet. Sounds like they would be a better HD bullet than the Speer JSP I have. As I've got a bunch loaded up, I'll just swap them out of my HD mag and be GTG.
Old August 8, 2015, 04:23 PM   #20
Darker Loaf

Here's a full review of the Chiappa M1 in 9mm. It doesn't get better than the first one. From Taofeldermaus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdiS11eK3VM

It seems that there are a host of problems with this firearm.