The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 11, 2012, 10:49 AM   #1
savagelover

spotting scopes question....advice

Ok,heres the deal...I am looking for a spotting scope that I might be able to see 30 cal. holes at 300 yards..I use red on white targets so it should be no problem...The kicker is,I am on a fixed income and can not really afford anything too fancy..the one I have now is ok but not very clear..Maybe my eyes are cloudy,lol..Some if anyone know of one that is clear and maybe of use to me,please let me know...I would even be interested in a good used one if anyone has or knows of one...I have 2 tripods,so don't really need one of them..Thanks so much for your help.....John Alpine,NY
Old February 11, 2012, 11:12 AM   #2
g.willikers

That's asking a lot of a scope, especially an inexpensive one.
Maybe it would be better to use a camera downrange that can send a wireless signal, and something to view with, at the shooting line.
Old February 11, 2012, 11:33 AM   #3
savagelover

Ok,lets say if one can see bullets holes with a 16 to 18 power scoe...Would you be able to see the same thing with a spotting scope of the same or greater power?

I know nothing about the spotting scoes,but it just seems to me that it work work the same way...OR does it not work that way?
Old February 11, 2012, 11:44 AM   #4
g.willikers

One problem with spotting scopes is being able to hold them steady enough to provide clear vision.
Scopes on a rifle are rigidly attached to a relatively heavy object.
Are you using a rifle scope, now?
And if you can see the bullet holes with the rifle scope, why do you need a spotting scope?
Old February 11, 2012, 11:55 AM   #5
savagelover

I am just using that as an example..I need to spot holes at least to 300 for my 45-70 sharps rifle...I am using targets with red over white so they should be no issue to see with a less costly spotting scope...I hate to order one and then have to send the darn thing back as it aint what I need...John
Old February 11, 2012, 12:24 PM   #6
g.willikers

How about this, instead -
Use reactive targets that can be clearly seen at the 300 yds, either with no scope or the one you have.
If you are shooting at a range with a dirt backstop, just spread some brightly colored clay birds, or suitably sized brightly painted pieces of wood, around, on the berm.
At 300 yds, make them easy to see if they are hit.
Misses can be seen as puffs of dirt.
Or, use clusters of them to make a larger target.
If you miss the one you are aiming for, you'll hit another one and be able to see it.
What the heck, give it a try.
I've used this technique with success.
Old February 11, 2012, 05:46 PM   #7
savagelover

Willigers====And how is that going to help see the holes in my targets at a match I go to...I appreciate your idea though..It just seems to me that like I said.If I can see the holes with a rifle scope on 18 power I should with a spotting scope of the same power unless I am missing something here...
Old February 11, 2012, 07:12 PM   #8
RamItOne

ive used a (dont remember the minimum) to 45x that i bought from academy for less than 50 bucks. Its functions great.

Now Ive used a pentax from a friend and good grief that thing was nice but way too pricey.

the $50 academy one works just fine for me.
Old February 11, 2012, 07:39 PM   #9
savagelover

Ramit-----I looked at them myself...i just hate to order any of them and have to end up sending it back for an exchange..Too much time wasted and have to pay the postage for return etc....Think I will check on Amazon to see what they have..Thanks for your input....
Old February 12, 2012, 12:57 PM   #10
plumbercrack

Check these out as there are a few different price ranges

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/category/36723316
Old February 12, 2012, 02:39 PM   #11
wogpotter

The biggest problem with telescopes in general & spotting scopes in general is "over magnifying" them so the advertising dept can claim "300X magnification!". What they do not tell you is that is probably a scope capable of 36X magnification with a way too powerful eyepiece giving a fuzzy image that is useless at the power setting advertised as hype!

Telescope buyers are a high tech geeky crowd & always want the latest/greatest development in optics, so this can be put to your advantage if you do a bit of research into last year's good scopes.

Let me give you an example. I just bought (for a song) an older, but well cared for spotting scope. It's technically obsolete, but shows clearly the "X" in a standard cross-head screw at 250 Yds approx. That is with a 64X magnification BTW. If I put in the "high power eyepiece that gives me quote: "an amazing high definition 350X" the thing gets so darn fuzzy that I'm lucky to find the screw, much less see the "X"!

There is a rule of optics that will help you get a good scope, not a hyped "optical system" For every 1" of diameter at the front you will get 20X magnification. So if you want power you have to put up with width. Anything that advertises "a 3" scope with 500X mag" is garbage. It's a rule of optics depending on physics so you can't find a short cut either.

My advice?
Get a good 4" diameter telescope from an older model & fit it with an eyepiece that will be good quality & magnify 60~70 X maximum.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 13, 2012, 10:46 PM   #12
mssurrey

I just bought a Celestron 52229 20-60 x 60mm which comes with a tripod (very basic) and a nice aluminum case to keep it in. Cheapand chearful - better than the usual Barska types out there.

Works great out to 200yds at about 30 x magnification. Anything greater than that and they start to get a little fuzzy. I can't comment for any further distance as that's the limit of my shooting range !