The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2012, 08:39 PM   #26
GTOne

Upward displacement?

It is endplay on the Lee, because of its design, it is the same every time, once you have the dies set that won't change because when you bring up the ram it goes against the lugs with support all the way around the outside of the puck(turret plate?).

On the Lyman it will be run-out(off angle variance) because of the center post support of the turret.
There is no way to have a consistant fix for that(Outside of trying to massively overdesign overbuild), it is a design flaw, if you will.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:47 PM   #27
Lost Sheep

Half the story "C" vs "O"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
It never made sense to me that MFG's will sell an "O" frame type press and tout the advantage of the )-frame design, and then that same MFG will turn around and make a C type press, add some extra die storage spots, call them turret presses, and expect people to think they are great and pay more for them....

Think about it, If the lyman T-mag were just a single stage press of the same open "C" type design, would anyone buy it even at half the price? NO WAY!!

The only current "C" style press I know of is made by lee, and only costs like $25....
Yes, but the Lee Reloader press is a lightweight, even for "C" presses. My friend stumbled agains his and snapped it off at the base. It is aluminum and the linkage does not provide heavy-duty leverage either. It is what it is and was meant to be. An economy-grade press for the loader doing loading that does not require a great deal of force and on a tight budget. My friend did 500 S&W on his until his Lyman arrived and it worked fine for that and would have continued to serve as his powder measure holder except for the accident.

The advantage of "C" presses (and if the frame is robust enough, there is no reason a "C" press could not match the rigidity of an "O" press except it would probably be about twice the weight) is that the open front makes it much more convenient, especially for loaders with large hands.

Everybody prefers what they prefer for their own reasons. Capitalism gives us choices. Ain't life grand?

Lost Sheep
Old May 5, 2012, 05:13 AM   #28
Shootest

I have a Lyman T Mag II and I wouldn’t trade it for the Lee. BUT if I were in your shoes I also would wait for the Lee Classic Cast. I use my press strictly for load development not for production. The auto indexing Lee would just get in my way and the 2 extra dies in the Lyman are a requirement for me.
If I didn’t have my Dillon XL 650 on the bench I would insist on the Lee Classic Cast.
Old May 5, 2012, 06:30 AM   #29
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I have a Lyman T Mag II and I wouldn’t trade it for the Lee. BUT if I were in your shoes I also would wait for the Lee Classic Cast.
If that isn't an endorsement of my final choice, I don't know what is!!

Thanks for the positive input.

Despite wanting to have that "new gear" feeling sooner, rather than later, I am now confident that I've done the right thing by thanking them for the offer but holding out for the Lee's arrival from the suppliers.

On the plus side, they are sending me everything bar the powder measure and the press. At least now I can see the bits in the flesh and start to get a feel of how they fit together and are set-up.

Those first bits should arrive next week. At the very least I can start to clean my cases with the shell-holder attachment....
Old May 5, 2012, 03:42 PM   #30
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I have loaded with a Lyman T-Mag for a long time , and the ammo is just as concentric as any . The turret does raise up a tad , but the case can move enough in the shell holder to stay in alignment with the die . I'm not a Lee fan , but I do prime on a Lee press with an Auto-Prime II but no Lee dies . Lee is what to buy , till you can upgrade to the good stuff !
Old May 6, 2012, 12:14 AM   #31
jimkim

Here's a review. It compares the LCT to an RCBS. It's of a similar design to thew Lyman. I've used both a Lyman and a Lee. Wait for the Lee.
I'll try this again. If the link doesn't work google "real guns Lee turret".
http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

Last edited by jimkim; May 6, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old May 6, 2012, 06:58 PM   #32
Don P

Quote:
The reason being is that it is in fact much cheaper to buy factory 9mm than reloading it: like 20% cheaper!! This is acually great news: the two rounds I shoot most (.22, 9mm) are cheaper to buy over the counter!!
My reloading costs, 9 mm, 38 spl, 357 mag and 40 S&W are .10 per round, $100 per 1,000 and my 45 acp is .12 per round and $120 per 1,000.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 6, 2012, 07:22 PM   #33
dacaur

Yep, I dont save much reloading 9mm, but I definatly save SOME.... I wish I could find a source for 9mm ammo that was cheaper than reloading it....
Old May 7, 2012, 01:05 PM   #34
Shootest

I couldn’t buy factory 9mm ammo that is the same as my tailor made hand loads at any price. Regardless of what press I loaded them on.