The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 17, 2008, 06:17 PM   #1
wpcexpert

Where are the Ducks???

Just a quick inquiry to all you duck hunters.

What have you been seeing?

Where are they?

Where all is it frozen over up north?

Who's had any luck?

I've been about eight times this year and the total hunts out of our blind has been 12. We've killed 224 ducks in those 12 hunts. About 90% Gadwalls, several Ringnecks, a few Widgeon, a couple Wood Ducks, and a Scaup.

Haven't seen too many Mallards at all. None that would work.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 17, 2008, 06:38 PM   #2
grymster2007

I don't hunt ducks, but I drive by the Suisun Marsh a lot and there are thousands of 'em. Looks like there are a couple duck hunting clubs there, but they don't seem to be making a dent in the population.
Old December 17, 2008, 06:44 PM   #3
wpcexpert

That will be good news to some of my buddies in CA. But I won't be seeing those ducks. Not in my flyway. Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 17, 2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Lavid2002

Killin Ducks!

Ive been doin great. Im 5 minutes off on the marsh from Atlantic City, NJ. Every time I go out ive limited out on one species or another. Moulards came late this year but everything else is grand. : D No bands yet this year...I CAN FEEL A MONEY BAND! I want one so bad!
Old December 17, 2008, 06:58 PM   #5
amprecon

Right here:

http://smt.cast.uark.edu/map.aspx
Old December 17, 2008, 07:56 PM   #6
JonnyReb

Hey Lavid, whats a money band?

I went on a goose hunt in sept. and one of my Dads birds had a band. He's a beginning waterfowler and got pretty excited about it. I laughed and laughed when he bought a lanyard to string it on. Then he showed me a waterfowling magazine where EVERY single add showing a hunter, showed one with his lanyard weighted down with these tags. Must be a "Badge of honor thing".

Tonight i'm on e-bay and see a guy selling his band for $40.00 + dollars!! Whoa, big money in bands. Is that what you mean by a money band or is there a band return program that pays when a bands recovered? Thanks for the info and btw just curious..J.R.
Old December 17, 2008, 08:53 PM   #7
FrontSight

I'm hoping to go on Fri in Long Island, NY...wish me luck!!!
Old December 17, 2008, 09:03 PM   #8
wpcexpert

Scrap...good luck and shoot straight.

JonnyReb...The birds are banded for tracking and study purposes. Only so many are banded each year and released. So killing one with a band is kinda like killing a nice buck or a 10lb largemouth. They are just trophies. Some keep them on their call lanyard.
- Thomas Jefferson