The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2001, 04:56 PM   #1
rlo747

Need loading data for 7-08 18" barrel model 7 135 to 154gr.
bullet.
thanks
Old April 15, 2001, 11:16 AM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

For The Wife's Rem M7 - 18.5" bbl, 2X7 Luepold compact, glass-bedded/free-floated & just THE nicest trigger this side of Heaven - such a sweet li'l thing

42.0 grs IMR 4064, 120 gr Nosler Ballistic tip, R-P brass, CCI 200 primers, OAL = 2.810" = right at 2650 fps with a 10-shot SD of 6 & extreme spread of 9 (which is fairly unbelieveable) - very accurate when we do our part. Not blazing speed by any account, but a dandy deer/antelope round.

43.0 grs IMR 4064, 140 Barnes XBT, same-same for everything else for elk, etc. Never chrono'd.

Both loaded for accuracy, not velocity.

I think you'll be hard-pressed to wring out the full velocity potential of this catridge in the shorter bbl - won't really matter - good bullet in the right spot ....

This is for The Wife's rifle & none others until proven otherwise. As with all loading data, don't believe it unless tried in your rifle, start 10% below max, etc.

Haven't seen Hornady's latest reloading manual but the older one's data is for an 18.5" bbl & should be pretty representative of expected velocities.
Old April 15, 2001, 02:07 PM   #3
Hot Core

Hey rlo747, I've got a 20" 7mm-08 M7KS that seems to prefer H414 for bullets from 115gr - 150gr. Very low muzzle flash, excellent velocity and outstanding accuracy.

With your 18.5" barrel, I would suspect H4895 might just be a better powder though. You will not give up enough velocity to amount to anything, the report will be a bit lower, there will be minimal flash (if any at all) and it seems to always be good for fine accuracy.

The loads I use in my rifle would mean nothing to your rifle since each rifle's barrel harmonics are different.

Just begin with the Loads listed in your Hodgdon or Hornady Manual (if you are using their bullets). Follow the directions in the Manual for "Working Up A Load". Stop when you reach the Pressure Indicators they explain about and then back off that top Load by a couple of grains. Finally, rerun some Test Loads with that Load, but with the bullets Seated at different depths.

That way you will have Loads custom built to work in your rifle. Anything else is just a gamble about whether or not it will provide any kind of accuracy in "your" rifle.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core