The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 25, 2000, 01:18 PM   #26
KilgorII

I'm glad to hear that. It wasn't in keeping with your style from what I've seen here.

Old August 26, 2000, 04:10 PM   #27
jbgood

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jtduncan:
Does anybody here hunt alone?

From a safety standpoint, it's always bets to have a companion, but how many of us hunt alone? I can get some great weekday early morning jaunts in and if I'm lucky can take the game home before going into work.

I'm planning on hunting small game at the local army base on their property with their permission (you have to register) and was advised that a percentage of hunters hunt alone, especially the deer hunters.

How many people hunt alone here?

[/quote]

JT, it seems to me that the answer to your question lies in how comfortable you are in being in the outdoors alone. Otherwise, hunting alone shouldn't be anymore dangerous or uncomfortable than say, hiking, camping, or fishing alone. From a safety perspective, the only ingredient added to the hunting scenario is the firearm that you carry, and by practicing common firearm safety precautions, you should feel just as safe with a firearm as without it. (Actually, I consider the drive to the hunting area to be the most dangerous part of the whole trip! Being on the highway is more life-threatening than anything that I have ever done in the outdoors.)

For years, I've hunted both with partners and alone and have learned that there are advantages and disadvantages to both. However, I try to be just as cautious when hunting with someone as I am when alone. Being with others does not prevent me from falling, getting snake bitten, or injured in some other way. Those things could happen regardless of how many others are around. So, I make it a point to always be aware of my surroundings and circumstances, so that I can avoid accidents -- it's the old rule of "an ounce of prevention ..." My goal is to not put myself in the position of having to be rescued. Otherwise, I accept the fact that something unpleasant could happen just as it could happen in my kitchen at home.

Which ever you choose, prepare yourself mentally and physically, and enjoy. Good luck with your hunting!