The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 10, 2007, 11:49 AM   #1
Pecos21

need help choosing a .223 for brush hunting varmints

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I need unbiased opinions as it relates to sporting use.
Mini 14 or AR 15 or Remington 700

I like everything the AR offers, but I am concerned with toting an "evil black" military rifle around my deer lease. Is its image thretening? Does it apper un-sportsman like? Will it freak out the old-timers?

I've shot minis before and they are ok...nothing impressive. They are accurate enough and they look more like a hunting arm, but for almost the costs of an AR.

And then again, I almost want to say screw it and just get a bolt gun.

Please help and keep in mind that I dont care for a SHTF gun or a battle gun or tacticool gun. I dont care about high capacity mags or .5" groups at over 100 yards. I am looking for a gun to carry with me and in a truck at the deer lease where other hunters are present. Main uses would be varmint hunting at night and general brush cary.

Thanks guys
Old April 10, 2007, 12:01 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

For a walk around / do everything .223 find a fairly light weight shorter barreled bolt .223 rifle.
Remington, savage and others make sporter weight or ' light varmint ' configurations. even the remington police tactical series ( SPS or is it PSS ? )would fit the needs too.

I love the stability of a heavy 26" barreled bench rifle but they are a major PITA when you have to carry them all day, particularly in brush like you are likely to hunt in.

An Ar is a good choice if you are interested in them, however some tend to be fairly heavy and in most cases you really don't need a super fast followup shot on varmints, with coyotes being one exception.
Old April 10, 2007, 03:30 PM   #3
Ian2005

Ahh... so you want a Terrorist weapon eh? ZZZZZZiiiiiNG!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist
Old April 10, 2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Jeepman77cj5

Sounds like a job for the Mini-14 Target? I've been eyeballing this a little myself.

http://ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/F...=5808&return=Y
Old April 10, 2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Noonan

I would check out a Saiga

http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga.htm
Old April 10, 2007, 07:20 PM   #6
timothy75

I'd go Mini with a 20rd mag. It looks a little scary but you'll be in thick brush. Although I'd prefer a Rossi Puma in 357.
Old April 10, 2007, 07:48 PM   #7
MDman

I would sugest an AR rifle, while they are visualy more threating than some bolt action rifles. I dont see that being much of a problem around hunting people. you can also get them for the price of a mini or some bolt actions and there just fun to shoot.
Old April 10, 2007, 08:46 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

Definitely go turnbolt to fit in the guys, if you're not one to "rock the boat". Yes, an EBR will probably scare the old guys. Plus, you'll get better accuracy as a rule also, from a turnbolt. Many many choices of short, light .223 guns. Good example is CZ 527:

http://www.czusa.com/products_smallbore_rifles.php

Or you said Remington 700:

How about the Light Varmint Stainless Fluted:
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...V_SF_specs.asp

Or the budget plain "SPS" or "SPS Stainless":
http://www.remington.com/products/fi..._SPS_specs.asp
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...less_specs.asp

Or, not a 700, but the model Seven CDL sounds perfect for your use:
http://www.remington.com/products/fi..._CDL_specs.asp

Remington also now sells the Zastava mini-mauser, called the 799:
http://www.remington.com/products/fi..._799_specs.asp
Would be an excellent choice for a quality walk-around rifle in .223.

Quote:
For a walk around / do everything .223 find a fairly light weight shorter barreled bolt .223 rifle.
Remington, savage and others make sporter weight or ' light varmint ' configurations
+1 to that.

Quote:
Sounds like a job for the Mini-14 Target? I've been eyeballing this a little myself.
I think the reason why *I* eyeball that one is because my eyeball instantly freezes in place for a few moments, due to the shock of seeing the most hideously ugly gun on face of the planet. Looks like the hi-point carbine, the M3 grease gun, and a gamo airgun had a bastard child rifle as a result of an unholy threesome. Oooooh [shudder]
Old April 10, 2007, 09:37 PM   #9
Double J

Have you checked out the CZ 527 carbine? Pretty nice little rifle.
Old April 10, 2007, 10:05 PM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"Varmints": Coyotes or smaller?

Distance: Under 200 yards, maybe?

If so, a Mini will do as good as anything else. I always put a Weaver K4 on mine, and did in lots of jackrabbits and a few coyotes. I still have my ten-round factory magazine, for if I get another one. But a few five-rounders did me just fine, one day during a population explosion hunt for jackrabbits in northern Nevada. Shot over 50, in not much over an hour.

I currently have a Ruger Mark II lightweight sporter. 1/2 MOA for three-shot groups, regularly. Old Leupold Vari-X II 3x9, Weaver mounts. Great for prairie dogs to 300 yards.

I've hunted in fairly thick and jungly cover, and never really noticed that "brush gun", as in light and handy, was of much importance.

FWIW, Art
Old April 10, 2007, 10:05 PM   #11
Pecos21

yea, I've been looking alot at the CZ 527's online and stuff, but I havent been able to find one in a gun store. The Carbine looks nice.

Been also thinking about the mini..not the target though. Concerning the looks, I think it looks like all the other whacked out benchrest rifles out there. Not really what I want.

I'll look into the Saiga some more.

Mini's are getting more expensive and closer to the price of an AR, but they still are not near as expensive. Sure, you can build an AR from pieces found all over the internet or buy a fixed carry handle model, but in my opinion, those routes dont get you a high quality, dependable, scope ready, sporting arm. For that, you would need to drop a minimum of $850 which is almost $300 more than Mini's are running for in my area.
Old April 11, 2007, 10:35 AM   #12
USNairman

brush hunting yotes is something I do often. My advice is to purchase a light weight rifle to make carrying and walking easier. Also, unless you buy an old wood stock rifle that is already scratched to he$# then you will not want to buy a fancy looking wood stock rifle because after your first outing in the heavy brush your gonna be sick when you get back to the truck and find that purdy wood all scratched up.

I prefer the AR-15 in a 16" sporter barrel or even semi-bull to be my most effective walking varmint rifle. They are indestructible and very effective on varmints plus allow for quick follow up shots just in case you have more than one dog come in at a time.

I love my CZ rifle and think they are about the best bolt gun offered in that price range but they are not a rifle you want to go tromping through heavy brush with. Or at least I don't.
My $.02 for what it's worth.
Old April 11, 2007, 07:08 PM   #13
Noonan

I think a Saiga can be had for less than $300. They are purported to be way more accurate than the mini.
Old April 11, 2007, 07:55 PM   #14
PTR 91

I have a saiga 223 very good rifle and extreamly accurite, especialy for the great price, for me it cost little over 300 $. The fit and finish is great the action is very smooth.
Old April 11, 2007, 09:36 PM   #15
QuillGordon

Shot a Ruger Mini 14 this last weekend (a co-workers), let me say you would'nt be disappointed... A fast, flat shootin, accurate little rifle... What a pleasure!!!The pic is of the proud owner

Old April 12, 2007, 09:52 AM   #16
Pecos21

Can you mount a scope on the Saiga?

I've found Minis to be plenty accurate for what I want to use it for.

I'm leaning more and more away from the AR. It feels / handles too much like a battle rifle instead of a sproting arm (of course).
Old April 12, 2007, 12:10 PM   #17
Noonan

Lots of Saiga info here:

http://www.saiga-12.com/
Old April 12, 2007, 02:51 PM   #18
marlin

good 223

a ruger ranch rifle is a pretty good 223 i think.
Old April 12, 2007, 06:30 PM   #19
TomG160

That CZ looks nice that some are suggesting... Savage makes some models you may be interested in as well. You mention hunting at night; here in Michigan it's my understanding you can only do this with a rimfire or shotgun. Your state may be different, but something to look into if you haven't.
Tom
Old April 12, 2007, 06:32 PM   #20
Desert Heat

A bushmaster would be sweet.
Old April 12, 2007, 06:55 PM   #21
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Won't be threatening if you use this!

Old April 12, 2007, 07:44 PM   #22
mrawesome22

That poor gun LOL.
Old April 12, 2007, 08:07 PM   #23
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
You wouldn't be laughed at if you showed up to register your 6x6 trophy buck with somthing like that. Would shame all the other hunters in the area
Old April 12, 2007, 10:16 PM   #24
Jseime

If you are hunting brush you want something short, light and fast to point.

I would go with a ruger M77MkII frontier rifle. It looks like a sweet little brush gun.
Old April 13, 2007, 08:30 AM   #25
Pecos21

The Ruger Frontier isnt offered in .223, otherwise I'd be all over it. I like .223 because it is cheaper and quieter, and recoils less than many of the other "varmint calibers".

There are few regulations regarding hunting non game animals at night in Texas.