The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 07:46 AM   #26
CajunBass

Quote:
so i see a video on the lcr 22 and the guy is dry firing it like crazy. if that may damage the gun would it be safe to dry fire with empty shells in the cylinder?
And we wonder why Ruger puts that billboard on the side of the gun telling us to read the owners manual.

Even that doesn't work.

Yes, it's perfectly safe to dry-fire any Ruger 22.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; January 9, 2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:26 AM   #27
TennJed

I know this gun will be marketed for SD, but I got a LCR in 22lr for fun, and fun it is. The 22lr LCR is an absolute blast to shoot
Old January 9, 2013, 01:04 PM   #28
Viper225

I would advise anyone with an LCR 22 to shoot their carry ammo in it, and make sure the world is Flat and Square.

I read alot and I also shoot a lot. My LCR 22 will lock up solid with Velocitors. Others seem to work fine with them. Stingers fire fine, but eject a little stiff, but not a problem.
I have not done any research to see if clean vs dirty has any impact on the Velocitors. Or if polishing the chambers might impact the sticking.
I am sure what is happening is the case is back thrusting into the recoil shield and staying tight against it. Since some work with Velocitors just fine, I think this can be ironed out. So far I have not rounded up all the potential carry ammo I can find and tested it for function.

This is not a negative comment about an LCR 22 at all. Just a heads up to make sure your ammo functions 100% before carrying it. Something we all should do with any carry handgun.

I have shot several bricks of 550 Federal through mine and love it.

I was talking about loading with Speed Strips in post #17 or #18 above.
I now have a couple Speed Beez Speed Loaders and a 4 Banger Loading Block. I am getting ready to have a custom kydex Double Speed Loader Carrier made for it for BUG Division reloads. Besides being a ball to shoot, it is also cheap to feed.
Then the next thing my 442 Pro Moon Clip accuracy has really improved. You can get accurate with a 2" J Frame.

Bob
Old January 9, 2013, 08:52 PM   #29
ThundarStick

I have a Smith and Wesson 617 10 shot, DT-10 speed loaders and 160 round loading block box. Talk about putting a lot of ammo through a revolver in a hurry! Fun, Fun practice for my big revolver!

I just dropped in here to let everyone in on a little secret. The yellow nylon/plastic drywall anchors are fantistic for dry fire practice on any 22LR rimfire. I have dryfired my 617 thousands and thousands of times on these. Just rotate them when they start to look realy beat down under the fireing pin. They extract and eject on most fire arms as well.
Old January 10, 2013, 06:17 PM   #30
Cheapshooter

So some of you are saying all Rugers can be dry fired without damage. What provision do they have to prevent the firing pin from peening the chamber face of a rimfire?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 10, 2013, 07:32 PM   #31
skidder

Quote:
i thought snub nose revolvers weren't accurate? must be a .38spl/.357 thing.
The reason some shoot better with a 22 is purely psychological. Many will develop bad flinching habits from these ultra-light 38/357s. They kick pretty good and this can lead to "anticipating recoil" (a small flinch after trigger pull).
I think these 22s are great practice tools to better ones shooting habits.

Quote:
I know this gun will be marketed for SD, but I got a LCR in 22lr for fun, and fun it is. The 22lr LCR is an absolute blast to shoot
I just picked one up a couple weeks ago, and I would have to agree... they are a blast to shoot! I was surprised how fast they rapid fire. The short trigger pull makes the next shot real quick.

The trigger pull is so short that its tempting to not let the trigger rebound all the way, but with just a little practice I was able to subdue this temptation.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old January 10, 2013, 10:12 PM   #32
CajunBass

Quote:
So some of you are saying all Rugers can be dry fired without damage. What provision do they have to prevent the firing pin from peening the chamber face of a rimfire?
We don't say it. Ruger does. From the Ruger FAQ's on their web-site. As well as their owners manuals.

Quote:
Can I dry fire my Ruger revolver?
Yes. All Ruger revolvers can be dry fired without damage, and dry firing can be useful to familiarize the owner with the firearm. However, be sure any firearm is completely unloaded before dry firing!

Can I dry fire my Ruger P-Series and .22 pistols?
Yes. All Ruger pistols can be dry fired without damage, and dry firing can be useful to familiarize the owner with the firearm. However, be sure any firearm is completely unloaded before dry firing!
Now, how do they prevent it? The firing pins travel far enough to hit the rim of the cartridge, but not far enough to hit the chamber face.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 10, 2013, 10:54 PM   #33
jason_iowa

Something is stopping the pin so its hitting something even if its not reaching the chamber face. I was always told never to dry fire a rim fire but if Ruger is going to replace it if damage is done then have at it.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:51 PM   #34
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_iowa View Post
Something is stopping the pin so its hitting something even if its not reaching the chamber face. I was always told never to dry fire a rim fire but if Ruger is going to replace it if damage is done then have at it.
I think it is not hitting anything. I understand it to be not long enough.

I have done lots of dry firing to my LCR 22 and my Single Six with no bad effects