The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2009, 04:41 AM   #1
Plaz

crimping 9MM

Should I use a taper crimp die when loading 9MM on my Hornady LNL?
Old December 2, 2009, 07:30 AM   #2
drail

Yes. But almost all dies for 9mm will be a taper crimp. Just crimp enough to remove the flaring from the expander/flaring die. Hold the round up to a good light source and sight down the side of the case. You will be able to see the flare. If you have rounds setting back from chambering measure the expander button in your expander die . It needs to be 3 or 4 thous. smaller than the bullet dia. Using heavy crimps will not stop bullet setback. The case needs to have a tight grip on the bullet BEFORE you apply a crimp. On semi auto rounds only crimp enough to remove the flaring.
Old December 2, 2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Shoney

Yes, you need to use a taper crimp die for 9mm.

Hornady puts out all their standard dies in roll crimp, even the cases known to need taper crimp. From an inventory point of view, that makes good sense, but from a reloading point of view it is beyond my comprehension and a poor move on their part.

Look on the die box to see what it says. If it does not specifically say TAPER CRIMP, then it is a roll crimp die.

Hornady only offers 8 taper crimp dies that come singly, not in sets, and they do not have a seating stem. If you will look on Horndy's web site, the specific dies will be named.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 2, 2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Plaz

The hornady video of reloading 9MM doesn't show use of a taper crimp die. Doesn't this conflict with requirement for usage of taper crimp die? Which configuration is better?

Copy and paste this link onto google to get the Hornady procedure without using a taper crimp die.

Hornady LNL-AP 9mm part I (HD)
Old December 2, 2009, 04:43 PM   #5
bozhoz

I use the Hornady Dimension Dies in 9mm. I thought it was a taper crimp in the die, but I could be wrong. At any rate, I hardly use any flare at all when flaring the cases. Enough only to just barely have the bullet start. Then, I roll over the case with a light crimp, just enought to remove any flaring. I've fired about 250 through my Glock without any issue.
Old December 3, 2009, 10:41 PM   #6
jpsshack

I recommend adding the crimp as a separate stage, after seating the bullets.