The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2009, 06:31 PM   #1
The_Vigilante

Improved Kinetic Bullet Puller

To the new reloaders, those just making a shopping list for reloading components, and even old reloaders. Several weeks ago while perusing my copy of American Rifleman, I happened across a small ad in the back for a comipany called Quinetics Corp under the Reloading section. I had some time so checked out their website. They sell a kinetic Bullet Puller but it is an improvement over the kinetic bullet pullers you can get from Hornady, RCBS, and Frankford Arsenal. The main improvement is that you no longer have to unscrew the cap, dump the bullet, powder, case, and then have to rescrew on the cap for the next round. You also don' t have to mess with the flimsy collets that are held together by a rubber or elastic band. Ever tried putting one of those together once they come apart-a royal PIA. Just unscrew the cap slightly, push in the cartridge, tighten the cap, rap against a hard surface until bullet comes loose, then unscrew the cap slightly, lightly rap the hammer against the inside of your funnel (or whatever you are using) and the case, bullet, and powder all come out, then insert another cartridge, etc. I just took apart approximately 80 LRN 9mm bullets in very short time without a hitch. Here is the website: http://www.quineticscorp.com. I have no financial interest in this company!
Old February 25, 2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Odd Job

I have that puller and I think it has been around for a while.
I can vouch for its toughness.
Old February 25, 2009, 08:38 PM   #3
medic0079

sounds like a better mousetrap
Old February 25, 2009, 09:00 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

That's one of the original designs. I have one, too. It's at least 10 years old or more. The thing that's new is that twist collet feature. Looks like a good idea.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 25, 2009, 11:56 PM   #5
Rusty W

I also have one. I've used it for about 5 years and it works good. I thought I was going to break it once pulling some crimped mil surp ammo when I first bought it. No doing, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
Old February 26, 2009, 01:10 AM   #6
Inspector3711

I've got one but I wore out the collet on a lot of 100 .223 cases. The collet still works for everything else but it won't grip .223 cases anymore.

I bought a spare RCBS shellholder for .223 and I use it with a garden hose washer in place of the collet when I have to pull .223 bullets. The shell holder fits upside down under the cap. The washer fits around the small end of the shell holder. It provides just enough tension against the cap to keep it from coming loose when hammering.

Works like a charm and fits just right but... Believe it or not, the lip on the shell holder got bent from doing this rendering it useless for my press. It actually cuts the rim when cycling the case out of the die.

I painted it black so I know to only use it for bullet pulling.
Old February 26, 2009, 01:21 AM   #7
Tex S

I have one. Its good.
Old February 27, 2009, 09:03 AM   #8
F. Guffey

When are they going to include a gas escape hole, they could cut a Hatcher hole, I have one that has a knock-out hole for removing the bullet and powder, I suppose the hole could double as a Hatcher hole. I suggested using Lee hand primer shell holders and 'O' rings to center small diameter cases on another forum, I was told I was going to get someone blown up including all of the people that were standing around watching, evidently someone was pulling bullets in a crowd, everyone blamed the hammer, I blamed the hammer-er (person operating the hammer).

F. Guffey
Old February 27, 2009, 10:15 AM   #9
10 Spot Terminator

Just an FYI here for those who still use the RCBS and other bullet pullers you can use RCBS or Lee shell holders instead of the banded collet . This works extremely well on the belted magnums as they wear out those collets in no time and will not hold the cases by the belts.
Old February 27, 2009, 11:19 PM   #10
Inspector3711

I said

Quote:
I bought a spare RCBS shellholder for .223 and I use it with a garden hose washer in place of the collet when I have to pull .223 bullets

Then someone said

Quote:
I suggested using Lee hand primer shell holders and 'O' rings to center small diameter cases on another forum, I was told I was going to get someone blown up including all of the people that were standing around
Then he said

Quote:
you can use RCBS or Lee shell holders instead of the banded collet
Anyway... I've processed a couple hundred rounds using that shell holder in place of the collet. The shell holder is hollow and nothing comes near the primer. There is also ample clearance/play around the rim of the cartridge for venting in case lightning came down and struck the primer. In fact, look at a shell holder... It's open on one side. This is the hole that spent primers are ejected through.

In the end, the shell holder locks the case in just the same as the collet but with a slight amount of slop or play.

Last edited by Inspector3711; February 27, 2009 at 11:26 PM. Reason: because I'm the master of editing
Old February 28, 2009, 04:10 PM   #11
F. Guffey

Inspector3711, and then I said ---

http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=50347

10 spot may not have read your post, then again he could be like Jimmy Buffet, Jimmy tells his audience it is not nice to beat Jimmy to the words to his own song, this is not the first time this type of thread has come up, if you invented (discovered) alternative uses for the shell holder I want to give you credit, anyway.

F. Guffey

Tags
improved bullet puller